Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC "freezes" but is still semi responsive...?

danielcwr

Hello! 

First of all, parts list for relevant info:

CPU: AMD 3950x (stock)

- Infinity fabric OC'd to 1900Mhz@ SOC = 1.094v

RAM: G.SKill Triden Z Neo - F4-3600C16-16GTZNC (See attached html file for detailed typhoon burner description)

- OC'd to 16 19 19 39 Trc58 Trfc495  - 3800Mhz(1900Mhz) @ 1T command rate

MB: Asrock Aqua x570 

- BIOS: P1.71 - AMD AGESA Combo - AM4 1.0.0.4 (since: 12/7/2019)

Cooling: Pretty meh, CPU hits 80+ peaks and hovers around 70~ during games. Been trying to sort this out for a while but the CPU might just be too hot for my current fans to dissipate

Problem:

Occasionally my PC will become unresponsive to the point of being unusable, and needing a reset, but oddly enough I can still interact with windows to some extent.

The first time this occurred I was watching a video on google chrome, when I swapped to a different video player, and suddenly I noticed that I could no longer interact with google at all. I then tried to open task manager, and it opened fine, but I could not change the active tab from the default one that opened. I then opened HWinfo64 to see what was potentially going on, but it also became unresponsive after opening it. I could still drag the windows around, resize them, and press the windows key / use keyboard and mouse to open new programs, but once they where open they would just not ever be intractable. NOTE: none of the programs ever actually said "program is not responding," they just simply wouldn't ever change.

The second time this occurred I was playing Warframe. When I finished the mission I was in, the game had a normal countdown to select your rewards, but there where no rewards on my screen (but the countdown was still going down). I was on discord at the time with a friend who was also in the mission (I was the host of the instance), and I heard him say, "Daniel? Are you there?" (I'm assuming he could no longer hear me) then I also heard him say "Host migration!?" before I could no longer hear him. My computer then started exhibiting the exact symptoms of above paragraph, where I could open everything but not interact at all after it was open. 

Temporary fix:

After restarting my computer, everything goes back to normal and it works perfectly fine. (Even restarting literally immediately and jumping right back into the game). I can then play for hours more on end without experiencing any problems.

My thoughts:

All of these problems make me think it is a RAM problem, rather than a CPU problem, but I really don't know as I have run memtest overnight with not a single error appearing. I have also left my CPU on stock settings, except for setting the infinity fabric to 1900Mhz to match my ram speed. I have been running these same settings for months on end without any problems, and they have just now started to appear frequently (vs none previously). 

Questions:

How would you approach trying to diagnose the problem? If it is RAM, why is memtest not throwing errors? If it is the CPU, why is it just now doing this, when it has been running fine for months without problems? 

Thank you very much for your time! I appreciate any insight, or even just opinions as to what you would try and do to fix this

G.Skill F4-3600C16-16GTZNC.html

I would start by setting everything back to stock settings. Yes, also the infinity fabric frequency adjustments you made and also the RAM.

Hardware simply degrades over time and a settings that was once stable, might not be stable anymore.

If this fixes the issue, then you know where it is coming from.

If it doesn't fix the issue, then it is likely that the issue is somewhere else. It could be an issue with your storage device or even your NIC, as it seems these issues only appear when using a piece of software that relies on a network connection. 

If nothing helps I would simply always try to re-install Windows 10, because such issues can also appear because of software issues, such as driver updates, OS updates or any other buggy software.

05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0, 3.1 Gen1)

10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2 (USB 3.1 Gen2)

20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 

40Gb/s - USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I would start by setting everything back to stock settings. Yes, also the infinity fabric frequency adjustments you made and also the RAM.

Hardware simply degrades over time and a settings that was once stable, might not be stable anymore.

If this fixes the issue, then you know where it is coming from.

If it doesn't fix the issue, then it is likely that the issue is somewhere else. It could be an issue with your storage device or even your NIC, as it seems these issues only appear when using a piece of software that relies on a network connection. 

If nothing helps I would simply always try to re-install Windows 10, because such issues can also appear because of software issues, such as driver updates, OS updates or any other buggy software.

Thank you for the insight, I will look into a fresh install of windows + drivers if the problem persists after setting everything to stock. I certainly hope its not a network hardware related problem as I wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to solve that.