Report: ASRock Bringing Overclocking to Locked Comet Lake-S CPUs, Non-Z Motherboards

OP: Tom's Hardware, https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/intel-comet-lake-overclocking-asrock-base-frequency-boost

Enabling base clock overclocking on non-K Comet Lake chips.

•  

missing-image.svg

(Image credit: Shutterstock)

ASRock's Base Frequency Boost (BFB) Technology, which is innate to the brand's latest Intel 400-series motherboards, will allow consumers to overclock the base clock on locked Intel 10th Generation Comet Lake processors, even with non-Z series motherboards, as per a leaked slide shared by VideoCardz.

Intel didn't mention anything about base clock overclocking on non-Z Comet Lake CPUs in its announcement today, so ASRock's solution is likely a proprietary workaround. Technically, it's possible that Intel could eventually disable the ASRock feature with a firmware update; however, this would be a bit odd since CPUs are still running within Intel specifications even if they're using ASRock BFB. 

The specifics around ASRock's BFB technology is a mystery for the time being. From what we can gather from the leaked PowerPoint slide, the motherboard vendor is essentially increasing the processor's PL1 (power level 1) from the default value to the maximum value and locking it at the higher value. In ASRock's example, the 65W Comet Lake CPUs operate as if though they were 125W models.

Model Cores / Threads Base Clock (GHz) ASRock BFB (GHz) Boost Clock (GHz) All-Core Boost Clock (GHz) TDP (W)
Intel Core i9-10900 10 / 20 2.8 3.7 5.2 4.5 65
Intel Core i7-10700 8 / 16 2.9 3.9 4.8 4.6 65
Intel Core i5-10600 6 / 12 3.3 4.1 4.8 4.4 65
Intel Core i5-10500 6 / 12 3.1 4.2 4.5 4.2 65
Intel Core i5-10400 6 / 12 2.9 4.0 4.3 4.0 65

A higher TDP limit means more breathing room and, in return, would allow a non-K Comet Lake processor to run at a higher base frequency. Of course, that also implicates a higher power consumption and more heat, so your CPU cooler will ultimately dictate whether you can hit the higher base clock speeds.

According to the slide, ASRock BFB won't produce the same level of uplift on all Comet Lake processors. The increase in base clock speeds will reportedly vary from 800 MHz to 1,100 MHz, depending on the model of the processor. There's no information clarifying whether BFB is an automatic algorithm that decides on an optimal frequency or if the user would have some type of control over it.

Overall, ASRock's Base Frequency Boost looks like it would be a pretty neat feature to have. It'll be interesting to see if other motherboard manufacturers will offer a similar solution.

ASRock can be quite the underdog in terms of very odd motherboard design. They have all the powerful mini-ITX boards and a number of other features bigger companies should be taking notes from. Really exciting for what this means for the future of "locked" cpus.

ASRock always makes the weirdest but coolest components

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, DomE179 - Nik117D - Domnik said:

ASRock's Base Frequency Boost (BFB) Technology, which is innate to the brand's latest Intel 400-series motherboards, will allow consumers to overclock the base clock on locked Intel 10th Generation Comet Lake processors, even with non-Z series motherboards, as per a leaked slide shared by VideoCardz.

Intel tried this shit with skylake, they cut the feature within a few months of skylakes release. Now intel is the underdog on the desktop space maybe they wont pull it like last time?

download.jpg.d243e0075aff07062a4c37395e4771aa.jpg

ASRock: Take that, f#ckers! #Intel #CPULivesMatter

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

As much as I love Asrock (cheapis but still quality in my experience), I got wonder why they would invest money in a developing product that could have it's value zero'd at any time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

As much as I love Asrock (cheapis but still quality in my experience), I got wonder why they would invest money in a developing product that could have it's value zero'd at any time.

Even if intel stops it, asrock just keeps doing it via the beta bios section lol

*** Thread locked ***

1. This is already posted
  2. The formatting isn't inline with guidelines. This is pretty much copy-paste of whole original article without any personal take.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv