Did i Burn My PNY GTX 1080ti oc 11g?!! HELP :(

xraijin
Go to solution Solved by xraijin,

Hello Again, 
I'm here to To answer my own Question, 
it Truned that the mod that i did to the 6pin with a 6pin+2 was Clean and correct! 
and the GPU Didnt burn out it still fine!. 
The red Screen turned to be a HDMI Cable Problem! 
so when i changed my HDMI Cable the GPU worked just fine still it wont do any heavy work since my PSU is very low
so i bought a new PSU 750W with 2x PCI 6pin+2 and everything is fine and nothing got dmged from the 1st test!
in the end i would like to Thank you for your replays.

Hello guys,
As the Title Say im here to ask if i messed up and burned my new 1080Ti xlr8 oc :(

so basicly i have 500w PSU (ZALMAN500-HP) when i took off my old GTX 750Ti and i putted my new GPU the PC Didnt work,

The monitors did not work at all (i have 3x Monitors 24" 52" and 19")
when i asked a friend he said i need to link a PCI cables from the PSU to the GPU! i looked up for the PCI cables but i found only 1x PCI 6pin available! but my GPU needs 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin!
my country is in full lockdown because of the COVID-19 so i cant buy new PSU or adapter cable, So i did the following:
1/ i had a broken PSU in my home i cut off a PCI cable 6pin+2 from it 

2/ i made a little openings on the PCI 6pin cable (the one from my working PSU) 

3/ i linked the top 3x yellow cables of the 6pin+2 with the top 3x yellow cables of the 6pin (the one i cut from my old PSU)

4/ i linked the bottom 3x black cables of the 6pin+2 with the bottom 3x black cables of the 6pin (the one i cut from my old PSU)

A Figure to explain what i did (Click on me)

now i have 6pin & 6pin+2 PCI cables (at least thats what i thought),
Final result (Click on me)
BUT when i linked them to the GPU and clicked on the power button my monitor flashed for a sec with a red screen (was supper fast red flash) 

then the screen went dark after it,afterlike 4sec the screen turned on with a glitchy red screen (no image on it no writing just glitchy red screen) for  like 2sec then it went black! i got scared and i unpluged the power for the whole system 

my question is: did i messed up with modifying my 6pin and burned my new GPU ? if not  why the Red screen why it didnt work when i booted my PC ?

please help me 

I'm not sure if you burned the card but I do know your card recommends a minimum psu of 600W

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU Cooler- Artic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm
GPU-  EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA
RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB 3200Mhz 
PSU- Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SATA III
Case- Custom Made Desk
Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Microphone- Blue Snowball Ice
Headphones- Razer Nari Ultimate
Webcam- Logitech c270
Monitors- MSI Optix MAG24C and Acer KA240HQ Abid
Mouse- Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard- Corsair K95 RGB Platinum MX Speed

you probably shouldnt modify cables, you should just have waited until you were able to get a better psu, your gpu is probably fine, that cable is not, just wait until you can get a better psu and stay with your old gpu for now.

1 minute ago, DevilsHand676 said:

I'm not sure if you burned the card but I do know your card recommends a minimum psu of 600W

it reccomends 600w but it probably doesnt draw 600w unless its under load, a 500watt should at least allow a post.

11 minutes ago, jackass1 said:

you probably shouldnt modify cables, you should just have waited until you were able to get a better psu, your gpu is probably fine, that cable is not, just wait until you can get a better psu and stay with your old gpu for now.

so the modifying that i did didnt cause a shock that messed my GPU ? and yes im with my old GPU untill i get cooler master 750w GPU. i just wanted to put my mind at peace and know that i didnt burn the card :(

I don't personally believe in psu modding or diy cables as many things can go wrong. As such, I have no clue as to whether or not the cable was correct. Considering you still have the card and presumably a working computer minus a power supply, I would just wait until you can get a psu to test the card. It is possible the card is dead, but it is also possible that nothing went wrong. From the information provided it is hard to give a definitive answer.

4 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

I don't personally believe in psu modding or diy cables as many things can go wrong. As such, I have no clue as to whether or not the cable was correct. Considering you still have the card and presumably a working computer minus a power supply, I would just wait until you can get a psu to test the card. It is possible the card is dead, but it is also possible that nothing went wrong. From the information provided it is hard to give a definitive answer.

I can give you what ever info you need to put my mind at rest :(

Your card is probably fine, but what you did was very stupid. There is no other way of putting it.

You could've not only killed your graphics card, but also every other component in your system.

4 minutes ago, Jack0f5pades said:

Pretty much the only thing you could do without another properly functioning power supply is a visual inspection. 

there is nothing burned on the GPU didnt even heated the fans still working when i connect it to the motherboard (with no PCI cables on)

does that mean something ?

Just now, Senzelian said:

Your card is probably fine, but what you did was very stupid. There is no other way of putting it.

You could've not only killed your graphics card, but also every other component in your system.

i know it was a stupid call :( ... i just want to be sure my GPU is fine now

It didn't occur to you that if your cheap ass power supply could provide enough power on its 12v rail to properly power a 6 and a 8 pin connector then it would have had those connectors on it?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, xraijin said:

there is nothing burned on the GPU didnt even heated the fans still working when i connect it to the motherboard (with no PCI cables on)

does that mean something ?

If you take your card under a bright light to carefully inspect it and see no burnt chips and the fans turn on I think you might have a working card, as from the couple of threads on cards that died, they all had some sort of burning or even explosion. If the fans turn on when connected to the motherboard it means you are getting a working pcie power delivery, so the only question is whether something on the psu power delivery broke.

4 minutes ago, xraijin said:

i know it was a stupid call :( ... i just want to be sure my GPU is fine now

You can only be sure if you connect it to a proper power source!

So you'll have to wait to get a proper PSU, or maybe a friend of yours has a PC that can power that card and you could swap your card in to test it.

40 minutes ago, xraijin said:

Hello guys,
As the Title Say im here to ask if i messed up and burned my new 1080Ti xlr8 oc :(

so basicly i have 500w PSU (ZALMAN500-HP) when i took off my old GTX 750Ti and i putted my new GPU the PC Didnt work,

The monitors did not work at all (i have 3x Monitors 24" 52" and 19")
when i asked a friend he said i need to link a PCI cables from the PSU to the GPU! i looked up for the PCI cables but i found only 1x PCI 6pin available! but my GPU needs 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin!
my country is in full lockdown because of the COVID-19 so i cant buy new PSU or adapter cable, So i did the following:
1/ i had a broken PSU in my home i cut off a PCI cable 6pin+2 from it 

2/ i made a little openings on the PCI 6pin cable (the one from my working PSU) 

3/ i linked the top 3x yellow cables of the 6pin+2 with the top 3x yellow cables of the 6pin (the one i cut from my old PSU)

4/ i linked the bottom 3x black cables of the 6pin+2 with the bottom 3x black cables of the 6pin (the one i cut from my old PSU)

A Figure to explain what i did (Click on me)

now i have 6pin & 6pin+2 PCI cables (at least thats what i thought),
Final result (Click on me)
BUT when i linked them to the GPU and clicked on the power button my monitor flashed for a sec with a red screen (was supper fast red flash) 

then the screen went dark after it,afterlike 4sec the screen turned on with a glitchy red screen (no image on it no writing just glitchy red screen) for  like 2sec then it went black! i got scared and i unpluged the power for the whole system 

my question is: did i messed up with modifying my 6pin and burned my new GPU ? if not  why the Red screen why it didnt work when i booted my PC ?

please help me 

can you provide photos of compuet, cable management and card pci connection

Main: Intel i7-10700KF, RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, 16 GB 3900MHz CL15 B-Die, Windows 11 Pro

Third PC: Intel i5-10400F, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, 16GB 3000MHz Timitec, Windows 10 Pro

Second PC: Ryzen 7 2700, RTX 2070 Super STRIX, 16GB 3200MHz CL15, Windows 10 Pro

First PC: Intel i5-3570, GTX 1060 Windforce, 16GB G-Skill 1600MHz, Windows 10 Pro

Hmmm Laptop: Pentium M 1.6GHz, iGPU, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2, Windows 7 SP1

4 minutes ago, AdkatkaShow said:

can you provide photos of compuet, cable management and card pci connection

i already attached photos on the topic kindly click on (Click on me) words

and when i conntected the PCI cables i putted the orginal 6pin (the one comming from the PSU) to the 6pin slot 
and the 6pin+2 the modified one to the 8pin slot 

21 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

It didn't occur to you that if your cheap ass power supply could provide enough power on its 12v rail to properly power a 6 and a 8 pin connector then it would have had those connectors on it?

does that mean the glitch and the red screen is because of the low power ? and the card didnt even work not it got burned?

2 minutes ago, xraijin said:

does that mean the glitch and the red screen is because of the low power ? and the card didnt even work not it got burned?

Most likely I would think that yes....that is assuming you didn't mess up when you plugged the wires lol

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Most likely I would think that yes....that is assuming you didn't mess up when you plugged the wires lol

x'o ... plugging the wires to the GPU was easy since ther was a 6pin slot and 8pin slot, so the 6pin went to the 6pin slot and the 6pin+2 went to the 8pin 

is that correct lol ?

14 minutes ago, xraijin said:

x'o ... plugging the wires to the GPU was easy since ther was a 6pin slot and 8pin slot, so the 6pin went to the 6pin slot and the 6pin+2 went to the 8pin 

is that correct lol ?

I'd love to be able to confirm but honestly I wouldn't know...I tend to NOT mod my power supply hehe

I don't think modifying some psu cables is always a no-go - you just have to do it right: Measuring, clean soldering, shrink tubes, ideally same cable type (diameter, resistance).

Come on guys, we all know these molex to 6-pin things. They work too.

It all comes down to how much power the psu has on the 12v rail(s).

But I don't like the cablework with these parcel tapes. Did you even solder, or just taped it all together?

Also: what pineapple said below:. I did not know that, too.

You've possibly blown it, the 8 pin connector isn't 4x12v and 4x0v. One is a sense wire that should be grounded and you just shoved 12v up it.

Edit: Just re-read it, didnt realise you'd used a 6+2 adaptor at first. You shouldnt have shoved 12v up the wrong place.

4 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

You've possibly blown it, the 8 pin connector isn't 4x12v and 4x0v. One is a sense wire that should be grounded and you just shoved 12v up it.

Edit: Just re-read it, didnt realise you'd used a 6+2 adaptor at first. You shouldnt have shoved 12v up the wrong place.

since i linked all yellows(power) from the 6pin+2 with the yellows(power) of the 6pin (same with black+black) im sure that i didnt wire a power wire with a ground one (check the diagram please) 

4 hours ago, sooker said:

I don't think modifying some psu cables is always a no-go - you just have to do it right: Measuring, clean soldering, shrink tubes, ideally same cable type (diameter, resistance).

Come on guys, we all know these molex to 6-pin things. They work too.

It all comes down to how much power the psu has on the 12v rail(s).

But I don't like the cablework with these parcel tapes. Did you even solder, or just taped it all together?

Also: what pineapple said below:. I did not know that, too.

im very sure that ly wiring was perfect and the tap was only to prevent the wires from touching each others

1 hour ago, xraijin said:

since i linked all yellows(power) from the 6pin+2 with the yellows(power) of the 6pin (same with black+black) im sure that i didnt wire a power wire with a ground one (check the diagram please) 

I thought you had wired an 8 pin not a 6+2, misread it. 2 of them are sense wires however the 6+2 will have that bit done for you.