Need advice on network file sharing and media playback

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
4 minutes ago, grandadmiral7hrawn said:

I'm getting similar if not the same speeds with iperf.

When I plug it directly into the access point the speeds are 10mb/s (an improvement but not a great one).

Are there any better alternatives to Samba?

samba isn't your probme, the network is the issue. Unless you can get faster network speeds, you won't be able to copy files faster.

Hello,

I have a laptop (with arch linux) that currently is running samba file sharing. It is connected via WIFI and has all necessary drivers installed to improve performance (I understand that WIFI makes things not ideal but in this case I do not have the option of connecting directly through eithernet). Samba caps out around 6MB/s on a good day and this makes it hard to stream content to my other computers without video buffer times and transferring large files are a pain in the neck at these speeds. Is there a better tool to use to get better speeds?

what speeds do you get with iperf.

Can you plug your laptop into the access point?

Seems like a wifi speed limit, probably not a great connection(what version of wifi, what listed link speed)

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what speeds do you get with iperf.

Can you plug your laptop into the access point?

Seems like a wifi speed limit, probably not a great connection(what version of wifi, what listed link speed)

When I plug it directly into the access point the speeds are 10mb/s (an improvement but not a great one).

4 minutes ago, grandadmiral7hrawn said:

samba isn't your probme, the network is the issue. Unless you can get faster network speeds, you won't be able to copy files faster.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Understood, thank you.