Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1660 Super fan speeds too high

mwnn365

Hello there,

I recently built a new PC with a GTX 1660 Super. Ran completely without a hitch for a few weeks, then suddenly yesterday whenever booting a game up the card fan straightaway goes to 100% and stays there (even after exiting the game). GPU temps also seemed to increase and stay high (60/70), although I didn't notice if they came down after exiting game (see below).

Only things that have changed (all yesterday) are that I installed an SSD and updated my BIOS to allow my RAM to run at 3200 (I'm on a Ryzen 3600). There were also a couple of power cuts along my street whilst the power was on (which are very unusual).

I tried setting my RAM speed back to the BIOS default (2133), unplugging the SSD and tidying my cables around, all to no effect.

I figured it was maybe something to do with the power cuts. As a last try, I then unseated and re-seated the graphics card and for some reason it now seems to be working normally again - GFX temps are what I'd expect and the fan increases and decreases according to load (rather than staying at 100% as soon as a game is booted up).

Bit of a rambling post, but I guess I'm just seeing if anyone has any idea what could have happened and why just re-seating the card seems to have fixed it?

Thanks in advance :)

I don't mean to hijack your post but I have the same GPU and I run a Ryzen 3600 also. Do you overclock your GPU? I just started using MSI Afterburner. If you use Afterburner could you share your settings?

I'm sorry I don't have any insight into your issue.

9 hours ago, TinyCloud said:

I don't mean to hijack your post but I have the same GPU and I run a Ryzen 3600 also. Do you overclock your GPU? I just started using MSI Afterburner. If you use Afterburner could you share your settings?

I'm sorry I don't have any insight into your issue.

No problem, however afraid I'm not able to help you either(!) - I don't overclock, sorry

13 hours ago, mwnn365 said:

Hello there,

I recently built a new PC with a GTX 1660 Super. Ran completely without a hitch for a few weeks, then suddenly yesterday whenever booting a game up the card fan straightaway goes to 100% and stays there (even after exiting the game). GPU temps also seemed to increase and stay high (60/70), although I didn't notice if they came down after exiting game (see below).

Only things that have changed (all yesterday) are that I installed an SSD and updated my BIOS to allow my RAM to run at 3200 (I'm on a Ryzen 3600). There were also a couple of power cuts along my street whilst the power was on (which are very unusual).

I tried setting my RAM speed back to the BIOS default (2133), unplugging the SSD and tidying my cables around, all to no effect.

I figured it was maybe something to do with the power cuts. As a last try, I then unseated and re-seated the graphics card and for some reason it now seems to be working normally again - GFX temps are what I'd expect and the fan increases and decreases according to load (rather than staying at 100% as soon as a game is booted up).

Bit of a rambling post, but I guess I'm just seeing if anyone has any idea what could have happened and why just re-seating the card seems to have fixed it?

Thanks in advance :)

Do you have the latest vbios/ firmware ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

On 5/1/2020 at 9:00 AM, TofuHaroto said:

Do you have the latest vbios/ firmware ?

Hello there and thanks for the response!

I did not and I should have mentioned that I did update the BIOS (and AMD chipset drivers) as part of my trouble shooting. This didn't seem to have any effect (although obviously good that I now have up to date firmware, turns out I hadn't even installed chipset drivers before, although not sure what impact that would have had).

As I said it's working fine now, I'm just curious about what went wrong and why reseating fixed it. Maybe I knocked something when installing the SSD!

1 hour ago, mwnn365 said:

Hello there and thanks for the response!

I did not and I should have mentioned that I did update the BIOS (and AMD chipset drivers) as part of my trouble shooting. This didn't seem to have any effect (although obviously good that I now have up to date firmware, turns out I hadn't even installed chipset drivers before, although not sure what impact that would have had).

As I said it's working fine now, I'm just curious about what went wrong and why reseating fixed it. Maybe I knocked something when installing the SSD!

So what fixed was probably the firmware for the GPU really lol 

And anytime :D

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: