Gaming Server what type of hardware is better?

Rorthic

I currently have a hp prolient dl360 g5 2x2.5ghz quad core cpu with 32g ram, originally purchased as a Minecraft server but now used for other games. Recently I was running  a 7 Days to Die dedicated server and noticed some lag, it seemed to be caused by a cpu bottle neck. It showed all 8 cores hitting 100% usage over time. I've decided an upgrade is in order but am unsure of what type of hardware is best suited for this task.

I'm looking at 3 options in general all around the 700$ range.

Buy a used server ex Dell poweredge

Buy and build a threadripper 1920x machine

Buy and build a ryzen 5 3600x machine

Assume all machines have similar amount of cores, ram, and processor speed.

My primary question is what hardware type is better for longevity as a dedicated game server machine,  server or desktop?

6 minutes ago, Rorthic said:

I currently have a hp prolient dl360 g5 2x2.5ghz quad core cpu with 32g ram, originally purchased as a Minecraft server but now used for other games. Recently I was running  a 7 Days to Die dedicated server and noticed some lag, it seemed to be caused by a cpu bottle neck. It showed all 8 cores hitting 100% usage over time. I've decided an upgrade is in order but am unsure of what type of hardware is best suited for this task.

I'm looking at 3 options in general all around the 700$ range.

Buy and build a threadripper 1920x machine

Buy and build a ryzen 5 3600x machine

Assume all machines have similar amount of cores, ram, and processor speed.

My primary question is what hardware type is better for longevity as a dedicated game server machine,  server or desktop?

Welcome to the forum!

Well I think it would be server because it is made to be a server.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

8 minutes ago, Rorthic said:

What model?

8 minutes ago, Rorthic said:

Depends on the exact games, but some really love that single threaded speed, and the 3600x gives you that. The used dell hardware has cheap ram, and other server features, but they probably aren't needed here.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What model?

Depends on the exact games, but some really love that single threaded speed, and the 3600x gives you that. The used dell hardware has cheap ram, and other server features, but they probably aren't needed here.

I didn't have a particular model in mind or a specific game, its more of a generic question about server cpu vs desktop cpu. I know they both would probably run any game I wanted, and the server is going to have features I would never use. Maybe a better question is would a 1 core 3.0ghz server cpu run a single task better then a 1 core 3.0ghz desktop cpu? what about multiple tasks? or are they basically the same? 

32 minutes ago, Rorthic said:

I didn't have a particular model in mind or a specific game, its more of a generic question about server cpu vs desktop cpu. I know they both would probably run any game I wanted, and the server is going to have features I would never use. Maybe a better question is would a 1 core 3.0ghz server cpu run a single task better then a 1 core 3.0ghz desktop cpu? what about multiple tasks? or are they basically the same? 

there is nothing really different about a server and desktop cpu. They often use the same die. they mostly just have different features enabled and sku's that work better for the users.

Also you can't compare ghz, some cpus can do way more in one clock than others.

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

there is nothing really different about a server and desktop cpu. They often use the same die. they mostly just have different features enabled and sku's that work better for the users.

Also you can't compare ghz, some cpus can do way more in one clock than others.

So if I'm understanding correctly in the case of running dedicated game server software there is no benefit to using server hardware over desktop hardware unless your planning on using the advanced features offered by servers, like raid or ecc memory and what not?

On the same topic most servers have more then 1 nic, is there a benefit to connecting multiple nic's  if 1 is capable of handling more bandwidth then provided through the isp? ex: 2x1 gig nic connected to the same router via 1 gig port each, with isp providing 500m connection

10 hours ago, Rorthic said:

So if I'm understanding correctly in the case of running dedicated game server software there is no benefit to using server hardware over desktop hardware unless your planning on using the advanced features offered by servers, like raid or ecc memory and what not?

yea. Maybe the etra ram can be useful, but the cpu performane of a new desktop chip is probably better, esp in games that dont use many threads. The ryzen chips have hurt the value proposition of old servers as you can get lots of cores for cheap on a desktop now.

10 hours ago, Rorthic said:

On the same topic most servers have more then 1 nic, is there a benefit to connecting multiple nic's  if 1 is capable of handling more bandwidth then provided through the isp? ex: 2x1 gig nic connected to the same router via 1 gig port each, with isp providing 500m connection

For a home game server no.

You can use multiple ports for redundancy, different networks, speed and other uses, but none are usefull for game servers.

Use one cable unless you know what your doing, its simpler.