New i9 9900k needs 1.39volts for a 5Ghz Overclock

Hi I just recently built a new machine and have been attempting an overclock and have been getting very strange results. I changed the core ration to 50 and the voltage to 1.33 first which failed (it just blue screened it would even start any stress test there didn't seem to be any thermal issues). I then increased voltage with no luck. The only thing that worked was setting voltage to auto which made the voltage go up to right around 1.39 or 1.4 volts. This didn't present any thermal issues when I ran cinebench or the intel extreme tuning stress test and furmark with temps peaking at 93 and averaging 85.

However what was most frustrating was my Cinebench scores went down after overclock, from 4820 at stock to 4400 at 5Ghz. I have gone into task manager and made Cinebench high priority but still no luck.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900k

Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390i Aorus Pro Wifi

Memory: 32Gb (2x16) Crucial 3200Mhz (XMP enabled)

GPU: Radeon VII

Power Supply: EVGA GM 650

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Monitor the clocks while the bench is running. Monitoring may impact results slightly, but we're more interested in what is going on. I'd guess the CPU is hitting one of current or thermal limits for some of that time.

This may be a load line thing. If you can see the voltage while the bench if running, and compare it to idle at the same clock (not if it downclocks) do you see much droop in voltage? Setting more load line correction may allow a lower idle voltage while keeping the load voltage. It wont help with thermals under load if the voltage is the same though.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The 9900ks kind of cannibalized a lot of the better silicon which originally would have been regular 9900k so it wasn't too surprising to see your struggles

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Monitor the clocks while the bench is running. Monitoring may impact results slightly, but we're more interested in what is going on. I'd guess the CPU is hitting one of current or thermal limits for some of that time.

This may be a load line thing. If you can see the voltage while the bench if running, and compare it to idle at the same clock (not if it downclocks) do you see much droop in voltage? Setting more load line correction may allow a lower idle voltage while keeping the load voltage. It wont help with thermals under load if the voltage is the same though.

Agreed

You may also want to change some power delivery settings such as phase control to a more aggressive setting while trying slightly lower voltages in addition to the suggestion made by porina

7 minutes ago, porina said:

This may be a load line thing. If you can see the voltage while the bench if running, and compare it to idle at the same clock (not if it downclocks) do you see much droop in voltage?

At idle it drops down to 0.8v and at load its at 1.399v but thats with it downclocking to 800Mhz. Is there anyway to get around this?

16 minutes ago, zachary.ashen said:

At idle it drops down to 0.8v and at load its at 1.399v but thats with it downclocking to 800Mhz. Is there anyway to get around this?

I think it is called speedstep or some other power saving thing like that. You can temporarily disable it while tuning and put it back on after.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible