(Update: OnePlus Nord) Return of the letter - Oneplus mid-range found

williamcll

Update: Oneplus has officially announced the OnePlus Nord mid-range phone, however specs have not been confirmed yet, it is believed to use a 765G, 6GB RAM and a 64MP camera without any extraordinary features: https://www.oneplus.com/uk/nord-series, full details as well as their TV series will be unveiled on July 2nd.

Spoiler

Update: A new device rumoured to be the Z has appeared on geekbench: A combination of a snapdragon 765G and 12GB RAM is odd. It is not known when this phone will be announced. Previous news in spoiler below.

image.png.a8fbf5453114064d63275660ac037918.png

Spoiler

In the midst of minor layoffs of the company, leaks of the mid-range version of oneplus' phone has been found, and has more or less the same design as the OP8. The CPU for this phone has yet to be confirmed, but it could either be the Qualcomm 765G or the Mediatek Dimensity 1000L 5G (which is actually faster because it has runs A77@2.6Ghz compared to the A76@2.4 on the 765G)

After a lot of leaks and speculations, OnePlus announced its OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro smartphones on April 14. Along with these two smartphones, rumors also insisted on a third smartphone — OnePlus Z. According to the reports OnePlus Z is supposed to launch alongside the OnePlus 8 series of smartphones but ultimately didn’t. Recently, tipster Max J has posted an image on Twitter which shows a device with the letter ‘Z’ in the middle of the display and with July 2020 written on either side confirming that OnePlus Z is not just a leak! However, today we have an exclusive leak for you: OnePlus Z hands-on photo showing flat screen.

OnePlus-Z-Hands-On Photo-Leaked-Showing Flat-Screen-truetech-true-tech
Exclusive: OnePlus Z Hands-On Photo, True-Tech.Net

The above image comes to us from a seemingly accurate source that provided us with the OnePlus 8 Pro hands-on photo and OnePlus 7 Pro hands-on photo which have been very much correct in the past. However, that said, all leaks should be taken with a grain of salt. By looking at the image we can clearly understand that the OnePlus Z is going to be a flat-screened display unlike the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro. It is also clear that this device is going to boast an in-display fingerprint sensor and also comes with an Optic AMOLED display. The punch-hole camera notch is moved to the center of the display here making it the first OnePlus device with a centre punch-hold display.

Source: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2373626

https://true-tech.net/oneplus/oneplus-z-hands-on-photo-leaked-showing-flat-screen/
Thoughts: It's not too bad, and the prices better be good too considering how awful Oneplus' International pricing sucks so far.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Still has a crappy punch hole camera. Not interested. Glad I upgraded just before everyone decided that was in any way a good design decision.

Other stuff looks interesting though, fingerprint sensors are always appreciated by those of us who don't want to look like an idiot leaning over a phone on a table.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Still has a crappy punch hole camera. Not interested. Glad I upgraded just before everyone decided that was in any way a good design decision.

Other stuff looks interesting though, fingerprint sensors are always appreciated by those of us who don't want to look like an idiot leaning over a phone on a table.

punchholes are pretty fucking retarded. Wasn't it shown that you can have a camera under a oled panel? Can't they lay a camera under the screen and when the camera is activated it creates bars on the top and bottom that shut off that part of the screen completely so the camera can see out no problem. This can be done i know it.

Yeah, I'll consider them once they have a complete flat screen.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

pop up camera was the better solution, though i'd be in favor of just completely removing the front facing camera.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm against punch hole cameras but i use face detection a lot (on my OP3, when i will switch to a phone with In-display Fingerprint Sensor it think i will use more facial detection ) and i'm really against moving parts in a smartphone. Before underscreen camera "pop out" (they need to be good), punch hole are not the worst for me

23 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

iPhone actually has quite wide camera for FaceID and it's really not as problematic as some seem to think it is.

Yawn, if the 865 is too expensive put in the 855. I miss when oneplus was an actual flagship killer budget phone. Not this bullshit it's been doing the for past few years

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

iPhone actually has quite wide camera for FaceID and it's really not as problematic as some seem to think it is.

I'm not saying punch hole cameras are bad from a technical standpoint, just that they're bad in every other way, concept, execution, and aesthetics. Their very existence annoys me more than any notch ever did and I absolutely loathe those.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Update: Max from AllAboutSamsung claims that True-tech's article is fake as well as posting the following tweet.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Depending on the size and price I might consider one of these. I'd much prefer a Qualcomm chip to a Mediatek one though. 

On 4/30/2020 at 9:32 AM, Pi31415 said:

punchholes are pretty fucking retarded. Wasn't it shown that you can have a camera under a oled panel? Can't they lay a camera under the screen and when the camera is activated it creates bars on the top and bottom that shut off that part of the screen completely so the camera can see out no problem. This can be done i know it.

Not cost efficiently, no. 

On 4/30/2020 at 9:58 AM, huilun02 said:

Seems to be a rebranded Oppo Reno3 5G with punch hole display

Ironically, the superior Pro version of the Reno3 5G uses the SD765G

Oneplus is related to Oppo and relies on them for production btw. Even Oppo's VOOC charging is technologically similar to Oneplus's Dash charging

Regardless, it will be a flop if it costs $500 or more for this caliber of chipset

Except the camera array is different...the screen is different...so...it's a rebrand because it has roughly the same size screen and charging speed? That makes total sense 🙄

On 5/1/2020 at 1:53 AM, suicidalfranco said:

pop up camera was the better solution, though i'd be in favor of just completely removing the front facing camera.

Haha, you and the other 6 people that want a phone without front facing camera.. 

On 5/1/2020 at 8:49 AM, S w a t s o n said:

Yawn, if the 865 is too expensive put in the 855. I miss when oneplus was an actual flagship killer budget phone. Not this bullshit it's been doing the for past few years

They were never going to stay a budget option. No company can grow with that ethos. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, you and the other 6 people that want a phone without front facing camera.. 

Make that 7!

As an owner of a OnePlus 8 Pro (and consequently, a hole punch display), it's really not as bad as everyone hypes them out as being. Sure, I prefer the OnePlus 7 Pro's mechanical solution so that I could more easily opt out of using the camera altogether, but it's not the end of days considering just how much screen space you get on most of these devices. Between the OnePlus 7T's (another phone I own) slimmed down notch and the OnePlus 8 Pro's hole punch display, I almost prefer the hole punch. Again, I'd prefer nothing over anything, but the hole punch isn't the worst thing to hit smartphones.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Oneplus need 3 skus, regular, pro, and legacy.

It is a sad day that the Apple SE is much better value than Oneplus, and has a better camera.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

• 5 weeks later...

Update: a benchmark for a new oneplus has been found with middling performance.

Yeah OnePlus isn't gonna cannibalize their OnePlus 8/8 Pro with a SD865-equipped OnePlus Z. They're going after the mid-tier segment where SD76x devices are found like Xiaomi K30's 

• 4 weeks later...

update: the phone is announced as the nord rather than the Z

On 5/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, dizmo said:

Except the camera array is different...the screen is different...so...it's a rebrand because it has roughly the same size screen and charging speed? That makes total sense 🙄

Not really a secret that the basic shell is identical between a OnePlus and the equivalent Oppo. They obviously don't share too much between them other than that but they do look identical at first glance.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1