Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking to replace / upgrade from HD555s for gaming

Enavin

My current pair of HD555s is nearing its last days of use as the plastic is cracking where it connects to the headband so I am trying to find a solid replacement / upgrade for them. They're currently just being powered by my onboard sound on an asus 370-g motherboard. I am not opposed to acquiring an AMP/DAC if needed. My budget is around 100-250$. These would be used primarily for gaming. Thanks for any input :)

Went with a pair of DT990s. Hard to pass up for 110$!

13 minutes ago, Enavin said:

Went with a pair of DT990s. Hard to pass up for 110$!

Nice which impedance?

Feel free to send me a DM for further or general questions.

Lyrics I vibe with or just funny right now:

"Aw, you look malnourished (Malnourished)
Let’s get some bread, fry the egg yolk and drown it in syrup (Drown it in syrup)"

-Tyler the creator

"This is food for thought, better take the whole plate

Don't lie, some of y'all thought food for thought meant taking these hoes on a date"-Injury Reserve

"Some of em just need to eat a whole thing of Crest"-MF DOOM

On 4/30/2020 at 1:55 PM, rice guru said:

Nice which impedance?

250ohm -

3 minutes ago, Enavin said:

250ohm -

nice would love to see how you like it. and given its still within budget ayou can get a nice standalone amp for the rest of that money as the 990 even the 250 ohm appreciates power

Feel free to send me a DM for further or general questions.

Lyrics I vibe with or just funny right now:

"Aw, you look malnourished (Malnourished)
Let’s get some bread, fry the egg yolk and drown it in syrup (Drown it in syrup)"

-Tyler the creator

"This is food for thought, better take the whole plate

Don't lie, some of y'all thought food for thought meant taking these hoes on a date"-Injury Reserve

"Some of em just need to eat a whole thing of Crest"-MF DOOM

17 hours ago, rice guru said:

nice would love to see how you like it. and given its still within budget ayou can get a nice standalone amp for the rest of that money as the 990 even the 250 ohm appreciates power

That's where I'm at now. Trying to decide on a dac/Amp combo. Will post an update once I've pulled the trigger on one. 

18 hours ago, rice guru said:

Decided on going with a "Schiit stack". The Modi 3 and Magni 3. Took me a bit outside my budget, but birthday is around the corner and the wife didn't know what to get me. lol

--

Also, she wants to hear the difference between her PC audio output and what the amp/dac combo can do.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Enavin said:

Decided on going with a "Schiit stack". The Modi 3 and Magni 3. Took me a bit outside my budget, but birthday is around the corner and the wife didn't know what to get me. lol

--

Also, she wants to hear the difference between her PC audio output and what the amp/dac combo can do.

I actually ended up going a slightly different route due to finding a decent local deal on a pair of Sound Blasterx G6s for 90$ and another for 85$. Just waiting for the DT 990s to arrive, but pairing it with my current Sennheiser HD555s right now and I can tell I've been missing out on a lot not having a dedicated amp. The difference is honestly night and day. Even testing it with the Xonar card I was using before that allows me to increase the power for greater ohm headsets, it doesn't compete with it at all.