Need advice on CPU to motherboard compatability

I'm fairly new to pc building, might be a trivial question, but i must know! So, I got an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC and im looking for a CPU, it says in the description that 9th gen CPU's are compatible. Does that mean the series X CPU's won't work? Are the new X-series still part of the 9th gen processors?  

16 minutes ago, DrDreyskiii32 said:

I'm fairly new to pc building, might be a trivial question, but i must know! So, I got an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC and im looking for a CPU, it says in the description that 9th gen CPU's are compatible. Does that mean the series X CPU's won't work? Are the new X-series still part of the 9th gen processors?  

which CPUs were you looking at?

If you are talking about the HEDT CPUs like the 9960X, then no they are not compatible with mainstream motherboards like Z390. They require a X299 motherboard. 

38 minutes ago, DrDreyskiii32 said:

No. The x-series is on a different socket. Intel 9th gen= z390/lga1011 or smnthn, Intel 9th/10th gen EXTREME edition= x299/socket lga2066, It wont even fit, extreme edition CPUS are larger.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

14 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

which CPUs were you looking at?

intel core i9-9820x

6 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Yeah like @Brok3n But who cares? mentioned, X series CPUs like the 9820X have a different socket, so they won't even physically fit into mainstream motherboards.

Thanks! i was trying to figure out whether it fits or not online, but their names and generations are confusing. Plus the motherboard that lists the CPU compatibility wasn't helping, I kinda figured, but i still wanted some more experienced advice. I made an LTT account just for this question lol! Thanks again 🙂 BTW any recommendations on a good high end CPU that will work with my motherboard?