How do i make a static free work station?

bacithecat

I dont have a mat or wrist cable or anything like that. My basement is humid n i heard that u can just touch a plugged in psu to ground.

4 minutes ago, bacithecat said:

I dont have a mat or wrist cable or anything like that. My basement is humid n i heard that u can just touch a plugged in psu to ground.

Plug your PSU into the wall and just touch that and you're good.

If you're building PC's for a living, it can be worth it to invest in a mat (which basically does the same thing, plugs into the wall/something else grounded and just leads the electricity from your body to ground), but if you're just building a single PC, the PSU method should be good.

Just touch it a couple times during PC building. (PSU does not need to be ON during this).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I’ve never had problems with static, just work on a non conductive surface ie. wood, cardboard.

as said ground yourself on the psu

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

16 minutes ago, bacithecat said:

find a metal table to build on, wear thick wool socks, carpet the floor, and drag your feet around when you walk

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Just touch it a couple times during PC building. (PSU does not need to be ON during this).

Actually, PSU should NOT be turned on when being used to ground yourself when touching it, you may short something accidentally. For grounding yourself, touch a metal part of your case or plugged in and powered off PSU, or use an anti-static wrist-strap hooked to the fan grill of the PSU.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

20 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Actually, PSU should NOT be turned on when being used to ground yourself when touching it, you may short something accidentally. For grounding yourself, touch a metal part of your case or plugged in and powered off PSU, or use an anti-static wrist-strap hooked to the fan grill of the PSU.

This ^^, we don't need another useless thread full of  "I built a million pc's and never killed one" arguments.  Just use a strap earthed out and avoid touching the pins directly.   That is the only advice you should be getting. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This ^^, we don't need another useless thread full of  "I built a million pc's and never killed one" arguments.  Just use a strap earthed out and avoid touching the pins directly.   That is the only advice you should be getting. 

It is better to be safe than be sorry, especially when you are working with expensive computer hardware, getting an anti-static wrist strap for $2 to $5 and taking the few seconds to wear it and connect to a plugged in and powered off PSU is definitely worth it to prevent potentially damaging your equipment.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

5 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

It is better to be safe than be sorry, especially when you are working with expensive computer hardware, getting an anti-static wrist strap for $2 to $5 and taking the few seconds to wear it and connect to a plugged in and powered off PSU is definitely worth it to prevent potentially damaging your equipment.

And even more so when you are giving that advice to other people,  it's so easy to be self assured you know the risks when it's not your gear at risk.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, bacithecat said:

Yes it really doesn't matter if you don't have the full kit. All I did when I built mine was kept touching the metal bolt on my radiator every 10 minutes or so, and I've never had any problems. However, it is important that you have a large, tidy working space. Whether that's a large desk or a table it definitely helps with keeping everything tidy whilst working on your PC. Just don't be building it on the floor of your living room like Lego or anything daft like that.