Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can a three pin fan run on two pins?

bacithecat
 Share

I received a fan splitter cable that had one 4 pin connector and the other two had 2 pins then no pin then 1 pin. Is this a defective cable or can i just have my three pin fan run on two pins?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bacithecat said:

I received a fan splitter cable that had one 4 pin connector and the other two had 2 pins then no pin then 1 pin. Is this a defective cable or can i just have my three pin fan run on two pins?

Yes, a 3 pin fan can run on a 2 pin connector. 

Your fan splitter probably has a couple 'tails', only one of which has the third pin available.

 

The third pin on a fan header is 'sense', basically it's able to see how fast a fan is spinning. Of course it can't ask three fans at the same time how fast they are running; so only one tail of the splitter has this third pin.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

 

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

 

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, minibois said:

Yes, a 3 pin fan can run on a 2 pin connector. 

Your fan splitter probably has a couple 'tails', only one of which has the third pin available.

 

The third pin on a fan header is 'sense', basically it's able to see how fast a fan is spinning. Of course it can't ask three fans at the same time how fast they are running; so only one tail of the splitter has this third pin.

this is what it looks like. Do u still think it would run?

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 3.41.50 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bacithecat said:

this is what it looks like. Do u still think it would run?

Yes, a 3 pin will fan will run in either of those  connectors.

The third pin is sense, so only needed on one of the fans on the splitter; not all.

Because of the plastic 'guard' on the fan connector and header, you can only plug in the fan one way.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

 

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

 

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yes, a 3 pin will fan will run in either of those  connectors.

The third pin is sense, so only needed on one of the fans on the splitter; not all.

Because of the plastic 'guard' on the fan connector and header, you can only plug in the fan one way.

thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×