Budget Gaming Keyboard

wall03

Hey there,

Would like to have some advice when it comes to budget ($30 max but would rather spend $20) RGB gaming keyboards. Thanks!

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Are you looking for a mechanical keyboard, or are you fine with a membrane keyboard? If you want mechanical, you might have to increase your budget. A good lower end mechanical keyboard typically costs at least $40-50. If you do want mechanical and are okay with the increased price, do you prefer red or blue switches?

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Are you looking for a mechanical keyboard, or are you fine with a membrane keyboard? If you want mechanical, you might have to increase your budget. A good lower end mechanical keyboard typically costs at least $40-50. If you do want mechanical and are okay with the increased price, do you prefer red or blue switches?

Never had a mechanical keyboard. Might go with membrame for now and buy a different one later

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

7 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Never had a mechanical keyboard. Might go with membrame for now and buy a different one later

Here's a good one I found pretty quick: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LSGKEC4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=10bestkeyboar-20&linkId=cce59a82e0fa0180434f09c0d1d51be0&language=en_US

I have the Redragon K582 mechanical keyboard and it works great for me, so I can vouch for their product quality. This one is a cheaper membrane keyboard and has a lot of customizable RGB modes, colors, and brightness. However, if you don't like the handrest that it has, I can see if I can find something else good. This was just one of the first good options I found.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Here's a good one I found pretty quick: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LSGKEC4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=10bestkeyboar-20&linkId=cce59a82e0fa0180434f09c0d1d51be0&language=en_US

I have the Redragon K582 mechanical keyboard and it works great for me, so I can vouch for their product quality. This one is a cheaper membrane keyboard and has a lot of customizable RGB modes, colors, and brightness. However, if you don't like the handrest that it has, I can see if I can find something else good. This was just one of the first good options I found.

That looks great! I don't need any more then that thank you :)

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Here's another Redragon membrane option with a more minimal design and no hand rest: https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K509-Keyboard-Mechanical-Illuminated/dp/B0797NX6D5/ref=sr_1_23?dchild=1&keywords=redragon+keyboard&qid=1588179290&s=electronics&sr=1-23

It's two dollars over your budget at $31.99, but it's definitely still a good deal. Bottom line is it's hard to find good RGB options under $30 that are from reputable brands.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Here's another Redragon membrane option with a more minimal design and no hand rest: https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K509-Keyboard-Mechanical-Illuminated/dp/B0797NX6D5/ref=sr_1_23?dchild=1&keywords=redragon+keyboard&qid=1588179290&s=electronics&sr=1-23

It's two dollars over your budget at $31.99, but it's definitely still a good deal. Bottom line is it's hard to find good RGB options under $30 that aren't from reputable brands.

its ok thats great! I think the one with hard rest is good! Thank you :)

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

its ok thats great! I think the one with hard rest is good! Thank you :)

No problem. I actually sent the link to the second keyboard right as you sent your reply saying the first one was good so I hadn't seen that you liked the first one yet

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

No problem. I actually sent the link to the second keyboard right as you sent your reply saying the first one was good so I hadn't seen that you liked the first one yet

Any suggestions for mechanical if I went that way? Thanks in advance.

Edit: What is the difference between red/blue?

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

37 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Any suggestions for mechanical if I went that way? Thanks in advance.

Edit: What is the difference between red/blue?

Would this be under your current budget, or would it be a future upgrade? If it's something you plan on getting later, do you have any idea what your budget would be?

As far as switches go, blue switches will be similar to a membrane keyboard in feel. They have a tactile bump when you press down the key where you have to apply pressure to get past a certain point and press down the key. The also make a decently loud clicking noise. Most people don't prefer this for gaming since it requires extra effort to press keys, but if you like the tactile feel then go for it. Red switches (aka linear switches) have no resistance. They will go straight down without any tactile bump, and require much less force or effort to push. They can also make a decent amount of noise depending on how hard you press on the keys. One last type of switch you can get that isn't as popular is brown switches. They work the same as blue switches with a tactile bump, but are designed to be more silent compared to blue switches. It's a lot harder to find pre-built keyboards that have these switches though.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

4 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Would this be under your current budget, or would it be a future upgrade? If it's something you plan on getting later, do you have any idea what your budget would be?

As far as switches go, red switches will be similar to a membrane keyboard in feel. They have a tactile bump when you press down the key where you have to apply pressure to get past a certain point and press down the key. The also make a decently loud clicking noise. Most people don't prefer this for gaming since it requires extra effort to press keys, but if you like the tactile feel then go for it. Blue switches (aka linear switches) have no resistance. They will go straight down without any tactile bump, and require much less force or effort to push. They can also make a decent amount of noise depending on how hard you press on the keys. One last type of switch you can get that isn't as popular is brown switches. They work the same as red switches with a tactile bump, but are designed to be more silent compared to blue switches. It's a lot harder to find pre-built keyboards that have these switches though.

This would be a future upgrade (1 yr or something). I think it might be $60 max. Blue switches looks good (I will use for gaming + every day use). And recommendations for those?

Edit: also any recommendations for mouse I have M705 but not gaming (want RGB). Any suggestions for them too?

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Wait silly me. I got my switches backwards. Red switches are linear and blue switches have the tactile bump. I've edited my previous reply so it's right now. I'll get back to you on good options in a bit.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Wait silly me. I got my switches backwards. Red switches are linear and blue switches have the tactile bump. I'll get back to you on good options in a bit.

thanks! Red it is! :)

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Here's the keyboard I have, which works really well and is a great option for around $50: https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Keyboard-Keys-Linear-Quiet-Red/dp/B07KCRTN9Q/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=redragon+k582&qid=1588196053&sr=8-2

Here's a cheaper $40 option with red switches, but instead of RGB it just has red LEDs. The RGB option has blue switches. 

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Mechanical-Keyboard-Anti-ghosting-Water-Resistant/dp/B07MBPF64H/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1ZAPUX7M6OD2R&dchild=1&keywords=red+switch+mechanical+keyboard&qid=1588196283&sprefix=red+switch+me%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-8

Here's a rechargable wireless (bluetooth) option. It's also a 60% keyboard so it's a bit smaller than other keyboards if you like saving desk space. I've never heard of the brand, but it has a lot of good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Wireless-Multi-Device/dp/B07FZSDYTZ/ref=sr_1_25?crid=1ZAPUX7M6OD2R&dchild=1&keywords=red%2Bswitch%2Bmechanical%2Bkeyboard&qid=1588196401&sprefix=red%2Bswitch%2Bme%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-25&th=1

Here's another option for a full-size keyboard with RGB backlighting. Again, I've never heard of the brand but it also has good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Element-Mechanical-Keyboard-Programmable-Backlit/dp/B01FXBZXFC/ref=sr_1_53_sspa?crid=1ZAPUX7M6OD2R&dchild=1&keywords=red+switch+mechanical+keyboard&qid=1588196564&sprefix=red+switch+me%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-53-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWktWRFdOMkxVMEs0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTM2NzM5MUdWWlMzUkIwNUFYMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTUxODg5MTZEMUxPVjVPNU9PTSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Those are all the good ones I could find for under $60 after a quick search. Hopefully one of these looks good to you.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

That one looks good! Can it do rainbow? That is what I am looking for.

I think spending $10 more for RBG will be worth it.

Here's a rechargable wireless (bluetooth) option. It's also a 60% keyboard so it's a bit smaller than other keyboards if you like saving desk space. I've never heard of the brand, but it has a lot of good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Wireless-Multi-Device/dp/B07FZSDYTZ/ref=sr_1_25?crid=1ZAPUX7M6OD2R&dchild=1&keywords=red%2Bswitch%2Bmechanical%2Bkeyboard&qid=1588196401&sprefix=red%2Bswitch%2Bme%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-25&th=1

I don't need something like that but thanks!

From the photos it looks like the behind-the-key RGB is brighter then the first one that looks good to me.

Those are all the good ones I could find for under $60 after a quick search. Hopefully one of these looks good to you.

Yeah looks great!

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

10 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Can it do rainbow?

Yes, it has multiple rainbow modes (static, pulsing, wave, etc.)

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

Yes, it has multiple rainbow modes (static, pulsing, wave, etc.)

Good!

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users