If Im not going to be hitting 144 fps in most games is it worth getting a 144 hz monitor?

bacithecat
1 minute ago, bacithecat said:

see the title :)

Title:

If Im not going to be hitting 144 fps in most games is it worth getting a 144 hz monitor?

In theory you could see your the frames your PC creates earlier, because FPS and Hz don't exactly line up usually.

But in practice, if you don't get close to 100fps, a 144Hz monitor won't do you much good.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, bacithecat said:

see the title :)

Generally speaking, higher HZ monitors have better pixel response. So yes its still worth while, UNLESS u can get a higher 'quality' display at a lower frequency for the same price.

Be careful though, if u intend on using variable refresh then ull need to check reviews to see how the pixel response changes as the frequency changes, some monitors that are good at their max refresh can have terrible pixel response at lower frequencies. This information however is only available from reviewers (who actually test the displays they review) and wont be available form the manufacturers.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Anything that is over 60hz will feel smoother and more responsive (as in 99% panels will be just faster), but as SolarNova pointed very well, have to pick the monitor and go through reviews. I mean even with 2080ti I am not getting anything close to 144hz, not even 100 on some AAA with ultra settings (yes, I do keep them lower than ultra in most cases) and it is still just a whole different world compared to 60hz. 100 or 144hz is up to you (price range etc.), but for sure go for something over 60 if you have the ability to. (future proof?)

A lot of cheap high refresh rate monitors achive that by overdriving pixels, which results in distorted colors.

Yeah you get lower latency, but the colors aren't as good.

May be worth considering a good IPS panel with good calibration, and maybe Freesync up to 75 Hz or 120 Hz... compromise a bit by reducing max fps but get better quality.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

A lot of cheap high refresh rate monitors achive that by overdriving pixels, which results in distorted colors.

Yeah you get lower latency, but the colors aren't as good.

May be worth considering a good IPS panel with good calibration, and maybe Freesync up to 75 Hz or 120 Hz... compromise a bit by reducing max fps but get better quality.

I think im going to go with a 75 hz ips

1 hour ago, bacithecat said:

1 hour ago, bacithecat said:

Make sure it has free sync or gsync