How to connect a DAC in between PC and speakers

henias
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Yeah you use RCA to 3.5mm if your DAC outputs RCA.

Every DAC is different.

Also why would you need a dac for such cheap speakers?

Just use your motherboard audio if it works.

Pardon me, I'm not too familiar with the DAC or what cables are used to connect them to powered speakers. I have the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia speakers. However, this speakers only have a 3.5mm jack.Considering a DAC has a 3.5mm headphone OUT, I suppose we don't use this right? I assume I have to get an RCA to 3.5mm connector since the DAC has RCA ports.

Also, if someone can recommend a good DAC under $100, that would be good.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Every DAC is different.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Every DAC is different.

I read reviews of people with the Klipsch speakers using a DAC reported better sound and overall quality. But then again I'm not too sure.

Also, this might be a dumb question but you cannot use headphone outputs on the DAC for the speaker right? I assume 3.5mm for headphones is totally different?

I use headphone out from a Focusrite to studio monitors...works just fine, I am sure it would be better with RCA, but I have had issues getting cabling to work due to my own ineptitude and the problems of ordering online.

7 hours ago, henias said:

I read reviews of people with the Klipsch speakers using a DAC reported better sound and overall quality. But then again I'm not too sure.

Also, this might be a dumb question but you cannot use headphone outputs on the DAC for the speaker right? I assume 3.5mm for headphones is totally different?

You can, it's just not the main DAC output so it's kinda pointless if you're not using the DAC properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020