How much data can be written to a drive before it dies?

AAura

I currently have a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo which has written 47TB of data and read 65TB of data. I also have a 3TB  Seagate Constellation ES.2 ST33000650NS which has read 341TB of data and written 98TB of data. How long will both these storage devices last before they die?

According to Samsung, your drive is warrantied for up to 150 300 TBW, so you can rest assured they expect most of them to last at least that long.  In reality, many will likely last longer still, with at least a fair number going well into insane numbers that you'll simply never reach.  As for the HDD, data written is generally not even a concern and thus consumer units usually don't even state a figure.  I know it is sometimes given for enterprise equipment but I was unable to track down a figure for the drive you listed.  I would not be concerned about the amount of data written to either, but particularly the HDD.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Whatever you do, just make sure to keep current backups.

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

According to Samsung, your drive is warrantied for up to 150 TBW, so you can rest assured they expect most of them to last at least that long.  In reality, many will likely last longer still, with at least a fair number going well into insane numbers that you'll simply never reach.  As for the HDD, data written is generally not even a concern and thus consumer units usually don't even state a figure.  I know it is sometimes given for enterprise equipment but I was unable to track down a figure for the drive you listed.  I would not be concerned about the amount of data written to either, but particularly the HDD.

It's actually 300 TBW

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

According to Samsung, your drive is warrantied for up to 150 TBW, so you can rest assured they expect most of them to last at least that long.  In reality, many will likely last longer still, with at least a fair number going well into insane numbers that you'll simply never reach.  As for the HDD, data written is generally not even a concern and thus consumer units usually don't even state a figure.  I know it is sometimes given for enterprise equipment but I was unable to track down a figure for the drive you listed.  I would not be concerned about the amount of data written to either, but particularly the HDD.

The HDD was used in a school's storage server for 3 or 4 years before i got it for free. It's rated for 8760 Hrs (365days 24/7) powered on per year with a 5 year warranty. It's currently well under that at 9226 Hrs. 

2 minutes ago, AAura said:

The HDD was used in a school's storage server for 3 or 4 years before i got it for free. It's rated for 8760 Hrs (365days 24/7) powered on per year with a 5 year warranty. It's currently well under that at 9226 Hrs. 

With hdds, there isn't a max hours, there is just a bathtub curve for failure rate, that will go up after the early failures. So while it can fail now, or may run for another 20+ years.

5 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

It's actually 300 TBW

Indeed, I managed to misread that even after telling myself to take note and make sure I don't copy the figure for the smaller model xD I suppose that's my cue to call it a day

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.