Option to turn of recommended posts.

vorticalbox

The side bar or some other place is where recommended things go not at the top of other people's posts. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

the posts on the right are just the newest threads. it's great for helping people fix issues they're having. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

This isn't on the right it's on the top of a thread. 

Screenshot_20200429_061207_com.brave.browser.jpg

14 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Screenshot_20200429_061207_com.brave.browser.jpg

This isn’t what my screen looks like at all.  I get posts in pure chronological order.  Are you saying you have a setting that rearranges posts by number of likes?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

That recommended post is within the thread you are reading. It is one of the replies to the thread...

It doesn't take up any more room than any other reply. You just need to scroll down a few lines to skip it.

Though perhaps a little [X] or [V] to hide or minimise the recommended post user side would be good for people who have already read the post.

I do think that too much room is taken up by showing how many reactions the post has, especially when viewed on mobile. How many likes the post has isn't really relevant either, and is already shown when viewing the full reply. I think that should be removed and use that space to display more of the original post and/or make the box smaller.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This isn’t what my screen looks like at all.  I get posts in pure chronological order.  Are you saying you have a setting that rearranges posts by number of likes?

Recommended Posts are assigned by forum moderators, as you can see that particular post was recommended by @TVwazhere. They're replies within the thread that get pinned to the top of the thread. If you click it it will take you to the full reply within the thread.

The post is from this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1179935-the-three-major-hdd-manufacturers-are-selling-slower-drives-without-telling-us/

The reply was Recommended as it was a response to the news by the Industry Affiliate for one of the HDD manufacturers. It was also being missed by a lot of people due to how many replies were in the thread, with 250+ replies and 10+ pages.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That recommended post is within the thread you are reading. It is one of the replies to the thread...

It doesn't take up any more room than any other reply. You just need to scroll down a few lines to skip it.

Though perhaps a little [X] or [V] to hide or minimise the recommended post user side would be good for people who have already read the post.

I do think that too much room is taken up by showing how many reactions the post has, especially when viewed on mobile. How many likes the post has isn't really relevant either, and is already shown when viewing the full reply. I think that should be removed and use that space to display more of the original post and/or make the box smaller.

Recommended Posts are assigned by forum moderators, as you can see that particular post was recommended by @TVwazhere. They're replies within the thread that get pinned to the top of the thread. If you click it it will take you to the full reply within the thread.

The post is from this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1179935-the-three-major-hdd-manufacturers-are-selling-slower-drives-without-telling-us/

The reply was Recommended as it was a response to the news by the Industry Affiliate for one of the HDD manufacturers. It was also being missed by a lot of people due to how many replies were in the thread, with 250+ replies and 10+ pages.

Ah.  That.  Yeah those do happen.  I don’t see em a lot.  Maybe 1 in 20 posts.  They usually make a lot of sense.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It is one of the replies to the threa

Then maybe "recommend reply" would be a better name, I assumed "post" to mean a literal post not a reply on the topic I'm reading. 

Makes more sense now I know it's a reply. 

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

Then maybe "recommend reply" would be a better name, I assumed "post" to mean a literal post not a reply on the topic I'm reading. 

Makes more sense now I know it's a reply. 

"Post" and "reply" mean same thing. Just as "thread" and "topic". Recommended topics are already on sidepanel, though names "Featured Topic".

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv