Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need some help finding a way to get remote interviews recorded

I have tried searching the web, but the question seems to be too specific for me to find a proper answer - so I am wondering if some pros can help me out here.

I need to record a series of interviews from people and with COVID they will be at their homes/work and I need them to do the "setup" of something to do the recording.

Everyone has a phone, possibly built in web cams, etc - but I am worried that the overall quality will vary from each interview depending on what they use to record with.

I was trying to see if there is a setup that I can buy, setup, and send out to each interviewer that would be 1. Easy to Setup and 2. Get me consistent "good" quality footage.

The final hurdle is that some of these people (or all), may be technologically challenged, so the setup needs to be easy to work with so that they can take something out of a box, quickly set it up and plug things in, and record.

I know its a big ask and I am sure the perfect setup will not exist, but I am wondering where I should start and maybe some of your ideas might help.

Thanks

Most mobile phones of today should be fine. There shouldn't be too much variance. As for recording, well I know it's not super secure but Zoom does have a built in recording option. My prof uses it during lectures and then uploads them to our school's website later on. With this whole Covid thing, you may not want to purchase equipment to be passed around either.

the biggest thing is always audio quality, I could care less if looks bad but poor audio and I'm out.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review      Buy my old RX 580

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Thanks,

I think the mobile phone thing would be ok, but I have no idea what everyone has for a phone and how they would set it up.

I was thinking a Gopro, with an external mic and a little desktop stand.

That would keep the recordings consistent among the participants, give better than stock audio, and give a similar visual appearance (I cant them how far away to place the camera on a desk or table, etc.)

I am just worried the cell phone might be too hit and miss...

Any ideas on gear?

Thanks again

Chad

Do you already have a gopro and a mic or would you have to order one? If you were concerned about having good audio, you could use something like a gopro for video and a field recorder for audio, and just have them clap at the beginning to sync it up. Tascam has some good field recorders that aren't too expensive. Also, if they all have computers, you could use a relatively cheap mic like a Blue Snowball and just send it around, having people sanitize it after use. 

2 hours ago, itswillum said:

Tascam has some good field recorders that aren't too expensive.

yeah or you could be lazy and just use a zoom h1n which is cheaper and you don't need external mic.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review      Buy my old RX 580

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs