Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My mother is an online ESL teacher and her current desktop is an HP AOI.  The company she's with keeps upping the minimum requirements of hardware for their applications, and she uses several other applications in her teaching that use significant processing and RAM to run. Instead of just buying a new computer every 2 years, we'd like to build one that will last longer and allow for modulation of parts. 

Please help. We need power, high speed internet capability, and the ability to hook up 2 monitors (1 touchscreen, 1 regular). A semi quiet cooling system (not liquid) would be helpful as well. This is my first time trying to build a PC, and I'm a bit lost. Thank you!

Budget?

I'm assuming she has the monitors she needs? Along with peripherals?

$2500ish (including monitors). We don't have the monitors. We do have keyboards and mice.

2 minutes ago, JochiemGrace said:

US

What size monitor does she want?

I am assuming no gaming will be done on it?

24+ inch monitors would be great, with at least 1080p.

Some gaming may be done, but it will be of the Stardew or Civ variety. 

I am no expert on AMD, so hopefully someone will chime in with a build for you.

Does she have a specific platform in mind? Like AMD or Intel.

Because for $2500 you could get a pretty decent r9 3900x build if you only need something like 1660Ti.

BUT I don't know if that'd be overkill, for her use case.

30 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

I am no expert on AMD, so hopefully someone will chime in with a build for you.

Does she have a specific platform in mind? Like AMD or Intel.

Because for $2500 you could get a pretty decent r9 3900x build if you only need something like 1660Ti.

BUT I don't know if that'd be overkill, for her use case.

I'm pretty sure you can build a 3950X build with that money assuming she aren't playing GPU intensive games.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

1 hour ago, JochiemGrace said:

My mother is an online ESL teacher and her current desktop is an HP AOI.  The company she's with keeps upping the minimum requirements of hardware for their applications, and she uses several other applications in her teaching that use significant processing and RAM to run. Instead of just buying a new computer every 2 years, we'd like to build one that will last longer and allow for modulation of parts. 

Please help. We need power, high speed internet capability, and the ability to hook up 2 monitors (1 touchscreen, 1 regular). A semi quiet cooling system (not liquid) would be helpful as well. This is my first time trying to build a PC, and I'm a bit lost. Thank you!

What workload will you mother running on this PC exactly? Because with that money, you have a LOT of wiggle room.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

We were leaning towards Intel. Her current is an AMD Radeon, and that has soured her on AMD. 

Her workload in heavy on streaming and using about 7-8 applications at once. One is an app called Many Cam that slows her current PC down. The app she uses for teaching is heavily dependent on her touchscreen processing power.

24 minutes ago, JochiemGrace said:

We were leaning towards Intel. Her current is an AMD Radeon, and that has soured her on AMD. 

Her workload in heavy on streaming and using about 7-8 applications at once. One is an app called Many Cam that slows her current PC down. The app she uses for teaching is heavily dependent on her touchscreen processing power.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1163600-2500-build-for-friend/?do=findComment&comment=13362179

Main Rig :

Laptop :

May I know what is the 2 monitor mentioned that she'll be using?

Main Rig :

Laptop :

We don't have the monitors yet. She would like 1 touchscreen that will be her main, and a 2nd regular monitor that she can use to the side.

10 minutes ago, JochiemGrace said:

We don't have the monitors yet. She would like 1 touchscreen that will be her main, and a 2nd regular monitor that she can use to the side.

Cool. There I've linked you the build above.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Went with the second suggestion.