The files in my HDD add up to 230 GB, but Windows says I have 540 GB in use?

Nacho588425

I have an SSD with Windows and essential software only, and a backup HDD with files and some games. I don't have that many files so it seemed strange to me that I have more than 500 GB in use, so I selected all the folders and files and hit properties, and it says the total is 230 GB. However, when I select the hard drive and hit properties, it says that I have 544 GB in use. I already did a disk cleanup with the Windows tool, and defragged the drive (apparently Windows does it automatically every week anyways).

Any ideas on what it might be? I doubt I have more than 300 GB of hidden Windows files in a 1 TB drive lol

I added a picture so you can see what I'm talking about

Screenshot (2).png

Take a look into Disk Management, there may be other partitions on that disk that are using space. Those aren't counted as files.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

23 minutes ago, LordofSavages said:

do you use any online storage solutions? 

Hmm no, why?

21 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Take a look into Disk Management, there may be other partitions on that disk that are using space. Those aren't counted as files.

I already looked it up and theres 1 partition with 1 MB or so, which im guessing is reserved for drive information, and then the rest is one partition.

21 minutes ago, amckern said:

Page File, Shadow Copy, Windows Restore, Hidden System Files?

13 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

You have hidden system files. Go to your folder options -> view -> show hidden files. Also try unchecking the box for "Hide protected system files" as this will reveal super hidden files. 

Shadow copy and windows restore is disabled for this drive, I did find a page file for 1 GB which is nothing compared to 300+, and I did find hidden system files from an old windows installation on this HDD from before I had an SSD, so maybe I should copy all my files to another HDD, format this one and then copy them back again.

I'm not sure that's the problem though, I haven't used this drive as a system drive for more than 6 years now, and I've had more than 500 GB of games at one point in this HDD, and I'm sure the used space info was correct back then, but I guess you never know with Windows...

depending on amount of system ram...Windows appropriates a specific percentage to hiberfil.sys and the pagefile - my hiberfil.sys is 10% of drive file capacity...and there's nothing you can do about that. I have found using a software that sorts all files on your drives is handy to see every file and its' size...I use treesize pro, but there's lots of alternatives available...