Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More/Bigger fans, temps got worse?

Dugbuzzz

Hi there! Recently decided to upgrade some fans in my case, because I realized that while they looked good, they didn't move quite as much air. I went from some crappy fans off amazon that claimed to move around 30 CFM. And went to 2x 140MM Arctic fans that move around 70CFM each, quite the difference. Somehow, to my amazement, this has managed to make my temps worse. Both fans are on and working, and I can feel the airflow with my hand. I still have two 120MM fans for exhaust, is it possible these cannot push out the hot air fast enough? As far as temps go, in games I seem to have gained around 5C, and load temps under synthetic load went up by almost 10C. Anybody have any idea what is causing this?

Did you set a fan curve in bios?

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Gundar said:

Did you set a fan curve in bios?

I did yes, tried a couple different ones but right now it is set to turbo. Its an ASUS board. 

Just now, Dugbuzzz said:

I did yes, tried a couple different ones but right now it is set to turbo. Its an ASUS board. 

A CUSTOM fan curve. Also are you using a fan slitter and did your case get any quieter.

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Gundar said:

A CUSTOM fan curve. Also are you using a fan slitter and did your case get any quieter.

Seems to be a little quieter, and I have not set a custom fan curve no, I'll have to play around with it and see if I can make it better, any suggestions?

Your motherboard might be spinning the fans at lower rpms because they can push more air therefore making it quieter. As for the fan curve find your balance of noise vs performance. 

AMD blackout rig

6 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Your motherboard might be spinning the fans at lower rpms because they can push more air therefore making it quieter. As for the fan curve find your balance of noise vs performance. 

I put it on the standard mode, and temps seem to have dropped a few degrees, what do you think could be causing this?

I dunno I don't work on asus bios settings

AMD blackout rig

Systems specs? Which component temps and synthetic load are you referring to?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Could you post pic of the setup? Also, if you didn't know, this is the way air moved with fan:

1045724093_fandirection.jpg.bc1b94e1606d035398ff3be2c4abda7b.jpg

Just saying as sounds like you are holding hand on wrong side of the fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Could you post pic of the setup? Also, if you didn't know, this is the way air moved with fan:

1045724093_fandirection.jpg.bc1b94e1606d035398ff3be2c4abda7b.jpg

Just saying as sounds like you are holding hand on wrong side of the fan.

Haha. They are oriented correctly. The open side is facing the outside of the case for intake.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Systems specs? Which component temps and synthetic load are you referring to?

R5 3600 seems to be the issue. All of the other components seem to have benefited from more airflow. I am using AIDA64.

The rest of the specs are as follows:

Cooler : DEEPCOOL Gammaxx GT RGB

RAM : Corsair LPX DRR4 3600

GPU : Gigabyte 1070 rev 1.0

Mobo : Strix B450-F

11 hours ago, Dugbuzzz said:

R5 3600 seems to be the issue. All of the other components seem to have benefited from more airflow. I am using AIDA64.

The rest of the specs are as follows:

Cooler : DEEPCOOL Gammaxx GT RGB

RAM : Corsair LPX DRR4 3600

GPU : Gigabyte 1070 rev 1.0

Mobo : Strix B450-F

Case?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Case?

NZXT H510. 

19 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

Same clocks or are you using default or PBO? I always recommend undervolting...

I haven't messed with voltage at all, it does sit very high at idle, around 1.4v. But drops once it gets a little load. Should I try limiting voltage? It might drop my idle temps. And PBO/Auto Overclocking is off. 

What rpm are the fans at during load and what fans did you previously use? What Arctic fans are you using?

The H510 was designed with negative pressure and drawing fresh air from the rear pci vents for the graphics card so it's not uncommon for additional front intakes to result in worse graphics card cooling but cpu temps should generally improve. 

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What rpm are the fans at during load and what fans did you previously use? What Arctic fans are you using?

The H510 was designed with negative pressure and drawing fresh air from the rear pci vents for the graphics card so it's not uncommon for additional front intakes to result in worse graphics card cooling but cpu temps should generally improve. 

Arctic F14 140MM PWM. Two of them. As for RPM I will have to get back to you on that one later this evening when I play some games, do you think I should possibly have one 140mm in back and one in front, instead of both intake and see if that helps at all? Yea oddly enough the GPU benefited very much and the CPU got worse. 

9 minutes ago, Dugbuzzz said:

Arctic F14 140MM PWM. Two of them. As for RPM I will have to get back to you on that one later this evening when I play some games, do you think I should possibly have one 140mm in back and one in front, instead of both intake and see if that helps at all? Yea oddly enough the GPU benefited very much and the CPU got worse. 

What 120mm fans were you previously using? 

F14's aren't very well suited for the solid front panel in the H510. Try removing the front panel to see if temps improve dramatically. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What 120mm fans were you previously using? 

F14's aren't very well suited for the solid front panel in the H510. Try removing the front panel to see if temps improve dramatically. 

Just some crappy RGB ones off of amazon. Not name brand for sure.

4 hours ago, Dugbuzzz said:

I haven't messed with voltage at all, it does sit very high at idle, around 1.4v. But drops once it gets a little load. Should I try limiting voltage? It might drop my idle temps. And PBO/Auto Overclocking is off. 

JI'd honestly try 1.2V max and see if you are stable. There's no reason to go to 1.4V on ryzen imo. Just wasting energy and producing heat.

22 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

JI'd honestly try 1.2V max and see if you are stable. There's no reason to go to 1.4V on ryzen imo. Just wasting energy and producing heat.

Ok cool, yea It idles at really high temperatures because it seems to want to put itself on 1.4v on almost all cores, should I set the max in Ryzen Master? Not very experienced with tweaking cpu stuff.

4 hours ago, Dugbuzzz said:

Ok cool, yea It idles at really high temperatures because it seems to want to put itself on 1.4v on almost all cores, should I set the max in Ryzen Master? Not very experienced with tweaking cpu stuff.

Its what I use. Maybe one day I'll go bios level, but Ryzen Master works great for me. You just have to open the program and apply the OC profile you want to use.

Anyway, yes I'd just try limiting max voltage to something reasonable. My 3600 can do 1.2V at 4.2ghz all core and 4.3ghz all core at 1.2625V stable. I've been playing with low voltage stuff too, 3.6ghz at 1.1V is fine. Haven't done much beyond that.

Oh and make sure you are in coupled mode with RAM speed.

*Edit* also are you using all of your fans now or did you only swap? Have you tried removing the side panel and seeing what temps do?