Overclocking memory with all 4 DIMMs populated

Hi Guys,

I built my PC a few months ago and the specs are below:

Ryzen 7 2700x w/stock cooler

ASUS Strix RX580

2x8gb kit Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200Mhz

ASUS Strix B450-F

Today I added another of the same 2x8gb kit Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200Mhz kit so all 4 DIMMs were populated. And when I tried to boot, it boot looped. After 3 failed boots, the BIOS reset, and it let me boot into windows. The frequency was reset to 2333mhz. I went into iCUE and did the firmware update on the two new modules then restarted into the BIOS where I reapplied the D.O.C.P profile which puts the frequency up to 3200Mhz and messes with the latencys and sets the voltage to 1.35V. Applied this and rebooted at which point it boot looped again. When it reset I messed about with different memory frequencies until it would boot consistently, this ended up being 2666Mhz.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why this was happening or any possible fixes because obviously I would like to run my memory at the max speed if possible. Cheers in advance.

Main System:

Ryzen 2700X | ASUS STRIX RX 580 8GB | ASUS STRIX B450-F | ADATA GAMMIX ZPG 256GB NVME SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Phanteks P400A Black | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200 MHZ (yes I'm an idiot I know) | 6 x DEEPCOOL RF120 | Thermaltake 750W RGB PSU | G502 Proteus Spektrum

2700x officially only supports up to 2933mhz. 

with 4 Dimms populated, you decrease the chances of running that speed and anything beyond it.

Typically, you sacrifice speed for memory amount. Been that way for ages, not just on DDR4.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

2700x officially only supports up to 2933mhz. 

with 4 Dimms populated, you decrease the chances of running that speed and anything beyond it.

Typically, you sacrifice speed for memory amount. Been that way for ages, not just on DDR4.

Damn, okay thank you. Wonder how that slipped past me when I was researching everything haha.

Thanks very much 👍

Main System:

Ryzen 2700X | ASUS STRIX RX 580 8GB | ASUS STRIX B450-F | ADATA GAMMIX ZPG 256GB NVME SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Phanteks P400A Black | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200 MHZ (yes I'm an idiot I know) | 6 x DEEPCOOL RF120 | Thermaltake 750W RGB PSU | G502 Proteus Spektrum

Just now, MattFiddaman said:

Damn, okay thank you. Wonder how that slipped past me when I was researching everything haha.

Thanks very much 👍

No problem. 

Work on obtaining tighter memory timings to increase the performance at lower speeds. I'd try to aim for at least CL14 2666mhz, may need a little voltage bump, but would try 1.350v see if it's stable.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No problem. 

Work on obtaining tighter memory timings to increase the performance at lower speeds. I'd try to aim for at least CL14 2666mhz, may need a little voltage bump, but would try 1.350v see if it's stable.

Cheers, I have very little clue about memory timings and voltage. Is that the only thing I have to change, the CL timing?

Main System:

44 minutes ago, MattFiddaman said:

Cheers, I have very little clue about memory timings and voltage. Is that the only thing I have to change, the CL timing?

No. You can change all the main timings which have the most impact. 

So I would try 14-14-14-14-24 to start off the main. But obviously one at a time and test stability during these changes.

Also memory voltage. Whatever you can get away with 1.35v is good. 

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No. You can change all the main timings which have the most impact. 

So I would try 14-14-14-14-24 to start off the main. But obviously one at a time and test stability during these changes.

Also memory voltage. Whatever you can get away with 1.35v is good. 

Thanks so much, I'll give it a go in the morning and I'll let you know how it goes

Main System: