Looking A For A £150/$200 GPU For My Brother

Hi LTT Community!

So a year ago, my brother got a £150/$200 PC from eBay, but was quite disappointed when games like CSGo weren’t running very playable, so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for good graphics cards, personally I’m thinking about getting him a RTX 580 from Nvidia, or a RTX 1650, once again from Nvidia. Let me know what you guys think, I’m open to all suggestions!

image.jpg

The GTX 1650 super matches the RX 580 from AMD, but the 1650 regular is much worse, so don't consider it.

Can you make a pcpartpicker spec list to give us as many details as you can? Mainly I'm curious about the CPU, ram, and PSU. Although, I think I see an HP Z400 motherboard, which isn't on pcpp, so any random X58 board would work for the list.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

RTX 580 from Nvidia?? Do you mean an RX 580 from AMD? What are his current specs? It's easier to recommend a GPU when we know what the system has in it already, don't want to recommend something that won't work or could cause a bottleneck.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

8 minutes ago, TechAreUs said:

RTX 580 from Nvidia

You mean GTX 580 or AMD RX 580, right? (there is no RTX 580 from Nvidia)

What specifications is the computer currently running with and how much of an improvement are you planning to see?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

10 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

You mean GTX 580 or AMD RX 580, right? (there is no RTX 580 from Nvidia)

What specifications is the computer currently running with and how much of an improvement are you planning to see?

Yeah, sorry guys, here are the specs and I’m also hoping to get a CSGo frame rate of about 120 FPS, since my bro got a 144hz monitor, but the PC couldn’t keep up! (By the way, just by looking at these specs, I know the specs aren’t good, but MY PC is far worse).

• Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Quad 
  • Processor Speed: 2.2GHz x 4 
  • Graphics Processing Type: 2GB Nvidia 710
  • Memory: 8GB 
  • Hard Drive Capacity: 1TB

4 minutes ago, TechAreUs said:

Yeah, sorry guys, here are the specs and I’m also hoping to get a CSGo frame rate of about 120 FPS, since my bro got a 144hz monitor, but the PC couldn’t keep up! (By the way, just by looking at these specs, I know the specs aren’t good, but MY PC is far worse).

you will not be able to get high frame rates in CSGO with that processor. You should not pair a graphics card as expensive as an RX 580 or GTX 1650 super with this system, instead look for something like an RX 470/570 at the very most. Hate to say it but you got ripped off with this PC.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

First thing you should do is upgrade that CPU and motherboard.. The CPU is important as it might bottleneck the GPU getting less frames. For a good starter CPU and motherboard I would recommend a Ryzen 5 1600 AF along with this mobo: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-ProSeries-Compliant-Motherboard-PRO/dp/B083GK2GXR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=XLUL2XBHLHTD&dchild=1&keywords=am4+motherboard&qid=1588015999&sprefix=am4+mother%2Caps%2C308&sr=8-2 @TechAreUs

2 minutes ago, TechAreUs said:

The processor is going to be a bottleneck issue when paired with a modern graphics card, if it's not at least a Q9650 already, then I would highly recommend upgrading that first.

Depends on what motherboard is in that system, although it is possible that it would not even recognize a GTX 10xx series card or higher due to UEFI support issues or even potentially not be supported with at least a PCIe 2.0 bus standard.

Its not going to be worth putting something like a GTX 1650 or RX 580 in that system for better performance unless you already are planning to move it to another system later.

I would recommend a GTX 680Ti used or something along those lines if found at a reasonable price for best chances of support for the card by the motherboard's BIOS which may or may not support PCIe 2.0 and/or UEFI.

@Boomwebsearch 

9 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I would recommend a GTX 680Ti

Unfortunately they never made the 680 ti, only the 690.

The PSU, also, is of some questionable quality, if the seller cheaped out this much on the core components for a "gaming" PC I wouldn't exactly trust something very power hungry in this system.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

you will not be able to get high frame rates in CSGO with that processor. You should not pair a graphics card as expensive as an RX 580 or GTX 1650 super with this system, instead look for something like an RX 470/570 at the very most. Hate to say it but you got ripped off with this PC.

Damn, well that’s unfortunate, I thought it was a great deal at £150/$200, but guess not, I think the CPU could definitely be upgraded, if I added a Ryzen 5 3600 and then put a RX 580, would that be good? (Also, sorry to keep asking Fasauceome, but if I added a Ryzen 5 3600 and a couple other compatible parts, would you recommend I get the RX 58- 4GB, or 8GB Variant?)

3 minutes ago, TechAreUs said:

Damn, well that’s unfortunate, I thought it was a great deal at £150/$200, but guess not, I think the CPU could definitely be upgraded, if I added a Ryzen 5 3600 and then put a RX 580, would that be good? (Also, sorry to keep asking Fasauceome, but if I added a Ryzen 5 3600 and a couple other compatible parts, would you recommend I get the RX 58- 4GB, or 8GB Variant?)

An RX 580 and Ryzen 5 is a serious jump, my suggestion to stay a bit budget friendly is to wait for mid may and purchase the newly announced Ryzen 3 3100, which has 4 cores and 8 threads as opposed to the 6 cores 12 threads of your average Ryzen 5. With that, the RX 580 4GB or 8GB is a good compliment, the 8GB version is often barely more expensive than the 4GB version so you could definitely justify paying the extra.

Again, I must admit that I have my doubts about the quality of your power supply. If you could attach a picture of the label, we might be able to get an idea of if it's any good for future parts. Maybe it's a "550" watt PSU with only 14 amps on the 12v rail, maybe it's 11 years old, hard to say from the one picture we've seen.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, fishingbrick said:

First thing you should do is upgrade that CPU and motherboard.. The CPU is important as it might bottleneck the GPU getting less frames. For a good starter CPU and motherboard I would recommend a Ryzen 5 1600 AF along with this mobo: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-ProSeries-Compliant-Motherboard-PRO/dp/B083GK2GXR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=XLUL2XBHLHTD&dchild=1&keywords=am4+motherboard&qid=1588015999&sprefix=am4+mother%2Caps%2C308&sr=8-2 @TechAreUs

@fishingbrickThanks Dude, I’ll definitely make sure to look into these, I personally thought that the Ryzen 5 3600 was a great CPU, but this Ryzen 5 1600 AF looks really good and is a great price and yeah, that motherboard looks like a great match. I’m probably gonna build a PC for my birthday in a couple of months now, I posted this ahead of time, thinking that I wouldn't get many responses, but you LTT Livers are really helpful!

RX 580 is not really worth buying no more and neither is the 5500XT with the Nvidia GTX 1650 Super, it runs with lower power consumption, if a PSU is a worry, the 1650 Super is likely to fair better than an RX card will in that scenario.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

An RX 580 and Ryzen 5 is a serious jump, my suggestion to stay a bit budget friendly is to wait for mid may and purchase the newly announced Ryzen 3 3100, which has 4 cores and 8 threads as opposed to the 6 cores 12 threads of your average Ryzen 5. With that, the RX 580 4GB or 8GB is a good compliment, the 8GB version is often barely more expensive than the 4GB version so you could definitely justify paying the extra.

Again, I must admit that I have my doubts about the quality of your power supply. If you could attach a picture of the label, we might be able to get an idea of if it's any good for future parts. Maybe it's a "550" watt PSU with only 14 amps on the 12v rail, maybe it's 11 years old, hard to say from the one picture we've seen.

Thanks Again @Fasauceome, I won't be upgrading my brother's, or my PC For a while, because I'll have to wait for my birthday, because I don't have enough money, even with the budget Ryzen 3s of the world, because, honestly, I did not expect you guys to be so responsive, but yeah, I'll definitely look into the upcoming Ryzen 3s in May, but because the Ryzen 5 1600 AF is £90/$120 do you think the Ryzen 3s will be any cheaper? Also, reading the label on the Power Supply, I can't send any pictures, because I've recently sold my phone, because I review phones on YouTube and needed one to review for YouTube and my iPad just died, but yeah, reading the label it says "Alpine II 500W Power Supply From ROHS" I doubt it's that good, but 500W is pretty good right? (I've only been into PCs since I started watching Linus non-stop about 2 weeks ago, so sorry if I'm not the best at PC Parts......

1 minute ago, TechAreUs said:

because the Ryzen 5 1600 AF is £90/$120 do you think the Ryzen 3s will be any cheaper?

launching with an MSRP of $100, the 3100 will have some better single core performance, at the cost of two cores. For a gaming PC that may be playing competitive shooters like CSGO or Fortnite, that's the better pick.

2 minutes ago, TechAreUs said:

Also, reading the label on the Power Supply, I can't send any pictures, because I've recently sold my phone, because I review phones on YouTube and needed one to review for YouTube and my iPad just died, but yeah, reading the label it says "Alpine II 500W Power Supply From ROHS" I doubt it's that good, but 500W is pretty good right?

is this the power supply?

https://microdream.co.uk/alpine-500w-psu-power-supply-jsp-500p12n.html

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The processor is going to be a bottleneck issue when paired with a modern graphics card, if it's not at least a Q9650 already, then I would highly recommend upgrading that first.

Depends on what motherboard is in that system, although it is possible that it would not even recognize a GTX 10xx series card or higher due to UEFI support issues or even potentially not be supported with at least a PCIe 2.0 bus standard.

Its not going to be worth putting something like a GTX 1650 or RX 580 in that system for better performance unless you already are planning to move it to another system later.

I would recommend a GTX 680Ti used or something along those lines if found at a reasonable price for best chances of support for the card by the motherboard's BIOS which may or may not support PCIe 2.0 and/or UEFI.

@Boomwebsearch Yeah, I may just upgrade the motherboard, for compatability reasons and may even build an entirely new PC on my birthday, in November, the reason I ask so early is because I didn't realise you guys were so active and wanted to ask in advance, but yeah, because I might be building a whole new PC, do you have any thoughts on any parts for that build?

29 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

RX 580 is not really worth buying no more and neither is the 5500XT with the Nvidia GTX 1650 Super, it runs with lower power consumption, if a PSU is a worry, the 1650 Super is likely to fair better than an RX card will in that scenario.

Okay, @GreyestGoat Thanks. Becuase there around the same price, I'll definitely be picking up the 1650 Super!

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Unfortunately they never made the 680 ti, only the 690.

Thanks for the correction, I meant to say GTX 690.

5 minutes ago, TechAreUs said:

@Boomwebsearch Yeah, I may just upgrade the motherboard, for compatability reasons and may even build an entirely new PC on my birthday, in November, the reason I ask so early is because I didn't realise you guys were so active and wanted to ask in advance, but yeah, because I might be building a whole new PC, do you have any thoughts on any parts for that build?

I would be more than happy to suggest parts for a new build, although I would recommend creating a new thread under the new builds and planning subform and tagging me or providing a link within this thread to the new thread (include the country you are shopping from and overall budget).

Link to New Builds and Planning subform:        https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

@Boomwebsearch 

15 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

launching with an MSRP of $100, the 3100 will have some better single core performance, at the cost of two cores. For a gaming PC that may be playing competitive shooters like CSGO or Fortnite, that's the better pick.

is this the power supply?

https://microdream.co.uk/alpine-500w-psu-power-supply-jsp-500p12n.html

Hi @Fasauceome Yep, that's it........ it probably ain't the best and if not, are there any recommendations that you can give me? (Also, sory for another question,  ut would you recommend the GTX 1650 Super, or the RX 580, someone told ,me that the 1650 Super was better value for money, so just wanted to check with you? Also, that Ryzen 3 sounds real nice!)

3 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Thanks for the correction, I meant to say GTX 690.

I would be more than happy to suggest parts for a new build, although I would recommend creating a new thread under the new builds and planning subform and tagging me or providing a link within this thread to the new thread (include the country you are shopping from and overall budget).

Link to New Builds and Planning subform:        https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Oh, okay, thanks @Boomwebsearch I definitely will do in the morning, it's quite late here in the UK, but I'll make sure to in the morning, thanks again man!

4 minutes ago, TechAreUs said:

Hi @Fasauceome Yep, that's it........ it probably ain't the best and if not, are there any recommendations that you can give me? (Also, sory for another question,  ut would you recommend the GTX 1650 Super, or the RX 580, someone told ,me that the 1650 Super was better value for money, so just wanted to check with you? Also, that Ryzen 3 sounds real nice!)

costs 14 pounds in the UK, that's almost nothing. I can't imagine this power supply is any good whatsoever. A cheap replacement would be the be quiet system power 9 (400 watts and up) or the Corsair CX450.

Get whichever is cheaper. The 1650 super basically matches it in performance, but the used prices on RX 480/580 models are way better.

Primary PC:

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

costs 14 pounds in the UK, that's almost nothing. I can't imagine this power supply is any good whatsoever. A cheap replacement would be the be quiet system power 9 (400 watts and up) or the Corsair CX450.

Get whichever is cheaper. The 1650 super basically matches it in performance, but the used prices on RX 480/580 models are way better.

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Thanks @Fasauceome well, damn, guess I have all the parts I need to build a good PC and upgrade my bros one, also, because I review technology on YouTube, would these parts be able to balance some 4K Video Editing? (Sorry t keep asking you stuff @Fasauceome).

3 hours ago, TechAreUs said:

because I review technology on YouTube, would these parts be able to balance some 4K Video Editing? (

Some, but don't expect top performance

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Some, but don't expect top performance

Oh Cool! It's still pretty cool that ir can properly do it, even without top performance!