Concerned About Distance Education - Communication Softwares

Muhlis

Hi,

These days, distance education is available in most countries. For that, teachers are using software like Zoom and this is bad for users that are worried about their privacy. 

In my country, the local distance education content network made new software about this. The software only works on a PC, by downloading and installing it on the computer.

However, I still concerned about privacy. The teachers are requiring us to use that software. We don't trust companies that have millions, billions of users but how can we just trust a random software?

To enter the class, what can I do for ensuring my data isn't stolen? For example, if I install the software and use it from a virtual machine, will it work? (at least I ensured my data on the computer is safe)

Thanks.

If you don't trust the software that much, I would suggest installing a VM and a VPN. Disable the webcam in the VM (either by going to the Device Manager of the VM and disabling it or by just straight up not installing the drivers), and that way you'll be pretty much safe.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

...What data? Using those services is same as watching Youtube or Netflix. You are watching streamed video and audio. Only things you are sending is video, audio and maybe text. Files if client supports that. If you are worried about sending data through global company, be it Microsoft (Teams), Zoom, Adobe (Connect), Google (Classroom/Hangouts/Duo), there are also open-source alternatives you could recommend to your school. Jiitsi is one that has been posted about few times.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv