Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Power Off trying to get into Bios settings.

Andromeda Delux

I'm on an Asus Rog Strix b450-F gaming mobo, running 2 sticks of DDR4 3200mhz 8gig RGB RAM, 600 Watt power supply, Ryzen 5 3600 cpu with the bios updated, 1050ti nvidia gpu, and a 1 tb m.2 nvme. With windows 10 installed.

If I try to add a spinning HDD via SATA and power connectors it doesn't post, if I try to add the RGB controller via molex cable it doesn't post. 

Anytime I press del on the keyboard to get into the bios it powers down, if I let it continue past the ROG splash screen it powers down, if I try to plug in any mouse or keyboards in the front panel, or rear panel while its showing the splash screen it powers down. The standoffs are appropriately mounted, and I can't tell wtf is going on. I figured it wouldn't be my power supply but I'm using it currently on a different intel i5 build only a dual core 8 gig set up from like a decade ago. (the power supply isn't a decade old, likely more like 5) But the power supply seems fine as I'm using it currently. Am I missing something, could it be the power supply? Or the mobo?

Any Ideas?

What is the brand and model of the power supply?

i9 9900K/GSkill Trident RGB 4x8GB 3000Mhz/Asus Maximus X Hero/EVGA RTX2080TI XC ULTRA/Samsung 950pro+970pro nVME M.2 512gb/2x2tb ADATA ssd/3tb HDD/Corsair Obsidian 1000D/ EVGA SUPERNOVA T2 1600W/10xCorsair LL120/Alienware 34" 2k 120hz/LG 27" 4k 60hz/HyperX Alloy Elite RGB/Hyper X Pulsefire Surge RGB/SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless/Logitech c920.

2 minutes ago, gamelovers11223 said:

What is the brand and model of the power supply?

its a TR2 600w Thermaltake ATX 12v 2.3

My bet it's the PSU. Get a good unit from EVGA, Seasonic.

i9 9900K/GSkill Trident RGB 4x8GB 3000Mhz/Asus Maximus X Hero/EVGA RTX2080TI XC ULTRA/Samsung 950pro+970pro nVME M.2 512gb/2x2tb ADATA ssd/3tb HDD/Corsair Obsidian 1000D/ EVGA SUPERNOVA T2 1600W/10xCorsair LL120/Alienware 34" 2k 120hz/LG 27" 4k 60hz/HyperX Alloy Elite RGB/Hyper X Pulsefire Surge RGB/SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless/Logitech c920.

2 minutes ago, gamelovers11223 said:

My bet it's the PSU. Get a good unit from EVGA, Seasonic.

Thats weird tho.... I don't understand how it still operates on my current computer but not the one I'm trying to build....maybe because the power demand is weaker? Just such an oddity...

Some ASUS boards have power monitoring functions and safety shutdowns that your old one might not have. When my (also Thermaltake, only 2.5 years old) PSU was starting to act up and cause random shutdowns I would also sometimes not be able to boot and the ASUS mobo would give a warning about unstable supply.

Replaced PSU and no more issues, I'm writing this on the same PC 3 years later.

Could be something else of course, but it's worth trying another PSU.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Some ASUS boards have power monitoring functions and safety shutdowns that your old one might not have. When my (also Thermaltake, only 2.5 years old) PSU was starting to act up and cause random shutdowns I would also sometimes not be able to boot and the ASUS mobo would give a warning about unstable supply.

Replaced PSU and no more issues, I'm writing this on the same PC 3 years later.

Could be something else of course, but it's worth trying another PSU.

Yeah my old board is like a decade old and doesn't have any kind of safety shut downs, I had to replace the old boards power supply once because it burned out...like actually melted. This new power supply (New as in new 5 years ago) doesn't seem to be having any issues on the old build, But this new build has all kinds of issues that I feel might linked to power, but couldn't believe since the power supply is working just fine on the old system. The old system is a dual core i5 from a decade ago, the 1050ti card, 2 sticks of DDR3 4 gig RAM, and 2 very old spinning hard drives. 

Yeah, best is to try another PSU on that system, if it's not good either the old board probably gave up..

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2