Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Swapping Windows and Linux Drives

So I have 2 Drives, a 500gb NMVe SSD with Windows 10 installed and a 250gb SATA SSD with PopOS installed. I wanted to try PopOS so I installed it on the spare SSD I had, been trying it for about a month, set up a Windows VM with PCIe passthrough and would like to use it as my primary OS now, but of course I've run out of space, but I also want to keep a drive with windows 10 installed as I still have stuff on there that I want that won't work on linux or the VM, as well as a 'just in case something goes wrong' drive.

So what would be the easiest way to swap the drives while keeping all the files? I was thinking of setting up a 'dual-boot' on the NVMe drive where I'll put a clone of my PopOS on there (I've made some room so it will fit) then clone windows onto the SATA drive (deleting PopOS), then delete windows on the NVMe and then expand it to let PopOS have it all. Would that cause any problems? Would it just be easier to backup all my stuff I want on windows and do a fresh windows install? I do have a 1TB external drive to shove the stuff I want on. (I don't want to do a fresh PopOS install after setting that VM up, took me way to long). I do want to have them on separate drives and I have changed the boot loader on PopOS to grub2 if that matters.

Thanks for any replies :) and sorry if this is in the wrong area, wasn't sure if I should post it here, in the windows or linux section.

Main System: Ryzen 7 2700x | Asus Strix B450-F | 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL14 | GTX 1080 | GTX 1060 6GB (VMs) | Manjaro 20.2

Server: Intel i5 7500 | H270 Gaming 3 | 24GB DDR4 2133Mhz | Ubuntu 20.04

Laptop: Intel i5 4200u | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | GT 740m | Pop!_OS 20.04

Mobile: Poco X3 | 128GB  //  iPad 5th Gen | 128GB