Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some questions about my fans and standoffs.

Not all of my parts have arrived yet, but I do have my Case, CPU, Fans, and Mobo now. So I wanted to start planning a bit on how I am going to build this soon. I have a few (probably dumb) questions first though that I was hoping some of you guys could answer for me.

1) How do I tell which side of my fan is the intake/exhaust? I have 5 fans and plan to do 2 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 back exhaust. Which way do I face them in the case? I checked all over the fans and don't see any markers or arrows.

JM8L5Md.jpgg5t1XDf.jpg

2) I'm a little confused by the M-ATX board stand offs. There is 6 of them per-installed, the ones circled in red are what I am assuming I need to use to install my B450M Mortar Max mobo. However, I'm not sure about the green circled one, those 2 are so close to each other I'm not sure which I'm supposed to use?

bW1WLnR.jpg

3) Also regarding the standoffs, how exactly am I supposed to install them to the case securely? I tried doing it by hand, and although I got them in, they didn't feel very secure or tight. I'd imagine once I put a screw in through the mobo, the whole standoff would move because it's not tight enough. Is there supposed to be some tool to use for this?

13 hours ago, VincentVolaju said:
Spoiler

Not all of my parts have arrived yet, but I do have my Case, CPU, Fans, and Mobo now. So I wanted to start planning a bit on how I am going to build this soon. I have a few (probably dumb) questions first though that I was hoping some of you guys could answer for me.

1) How do I tell which side of my fan is the intake/exhaust? I have 5 fans and plan to do 2 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 back exhaust. Which way do I face them in the case? I checked all over the fans and don't see any markers or arrows.

JM8L5Md.jpgg5t1XDf.jpg

2) I'm a little confused by the M-ATX board stand offs. There is 6 of them per-installed, the ones circled in red are what I am assuming I need to use to install my B450M Mortar Max mobo. However, I'm not sure about the green circled one, those 2 are so close to each other I'm not sure which I'm supposed to use?

bW1WLnR.jpg

3) Also regarding the standoffs, how exactly am I supposed to install them to the case securely? I tried doing it by hand, and although I got them in, they didn't feel very secure or tight. I'd imagine once I put a screw in through the mobo, the whole standoff would move because it's not tight enough. Is there supposed to be some tool to use for this?

They make a standoff sucket but pliars or crescent wrench work great. Look at your motherboard and plact it in the case in its plastic shielding to identify the holes needed. Look on edge fo fan for an arrow.

Edited by LogicalDrm
1 minute ago, itisme911 said:

They make a standoff sucket but pliars or crescent wrench work great. Look at your motherboard and plact it in the case in its plastic shielding to identify the holes needed. Look on edge fo fan for an arrow.

Lol, I'm an idiot for not even thinking about trying to align up the mobo with the holes first =X.

For the fans, I've already checked all over but couldn't find any arrows or markers. I'll check again now, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see any.

Hey there.

1. Air usually flows in from the bladed side and passes out of the grille side (see the diagram in the spoilers). A positive-pressure fan configuration is generally recommended (perhaps 3 front intake, 1 rear exhaust, 1 top-rear exhaust?), but if you'd like to do your 2-intake, 3-exhaust configuration, point your 2 intake fans' bladed side towards the case's exterior, and your 3-exhaust fans' grille side towards the case's exterior.
    Spoiler

open-grille.png

2. Was your MOBO the MSI B450 MORTAR MAX? If yes, I recall the bottom-most standoff being slightly off. In short, the red circles in your diagram are probably the correct placement. If you have the physical board in your hands, you can align it with the case just to double-check. 6 of the 8 required standoffs already seem to be installed in the case. 👍
  3. The standoffs (hexagonal-ish pieces, female end, I'm not sure what the official term is) will usually screw securely into the case without any special tools, but needle nose pliers or standoff screwdrivers/bits are viable too, if you prefer that option. The standoff screws (male end) should be installed with a screwdriver.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

9 hours ago, VincentVolaju said:

The side with the 'ribs' is usually the way the air goes.

Simply put, if you turn on the fan and point it at your face like this:

image.png.907b30819237965c59df9aeaa2eb4513.png

You should get air blown into your face.

When building a PC you should always test your equipment outside your case and this would be a perfect opportunity to plug in the fan and verify this though.

Check with your motherboard which standoffs are seen through the holes in the board. 

If you can't see the green one (or the red one below it), remove it.

Or consult your case manual, there seems to be some writing below it.

Best option: hex driver of the correct size

OK option: plyers, to screw them in by hand

Would work, but not recommended: just screw in your motherboard. Since screwing in your motherboard and screwing in your standoff is the same direction, that would secure the standoffs quite a bit. It's not recommended, because you could be unscrewing the standoffs when unscrewing your motherboard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous