Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD CPU Recommendation for Plex Software Transcoding

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,

8000 is pretty low. If you ask me, a Ryzen 5 1600AF should be more than enough

Hey! I want to separate my gaming rig from my plex server. I'm tired of waiting until people are done watching shows before I can restart my gaming PC.

At most i'd have 4 streams transcoding 1080p, and according to Plex documentation that would require an 8,000 passmark score. I don't want to do hardware transcoding because I want to build a cheaper rig. 

Does anyone recommend an AMD Ryzen CPU that would get a 10,000 passmark rating but isn't expensive? Do we have any idea what the passmark rating is for these brand new CPU's that just dropped in the past couple of weeks?

I love you. Thank you for taking the time to read.

What rig do you have right now?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

8000 is pretty low. If you ask me, a Ryzen 5 1600AF should be more than enough

47 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

What rig do you have right now?

I7 4790k but hardware transcoding with a GTX 1060. It's overkill for a Plex server.

13 minutes ago, frooshiantee said:

At most i'd have 4 streams transcoding 1080p, and according to Plex documentation that would require an 8,000 passmark score.

13 minutes ago, frooshiantee said:

Does anyone recommend an AMD Ryzen CPU that would get a 10,000 passmark rating but isn't expensive?

Depends if you are going to run with CPU-based or GPU-based encoding, will this server have a graphics card?

Additionally, what case is the processor going to be in and what is your budget for the processor?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Depends if you are going to run with CPU-based or GPU-based encoding, will this server have a graphics card?

Additionally, what case is the processor going to be in and what is your budget for the processor?

I don't want to do hardware transcoding because i'm trying to find the cheapest solution, so buying a CPU and GPU would be kinda unnecessary, I just want a CPU that can handle 4 transcoding streams. My budget is $130. Case like ATX case? Why would the case matter?

If you really want cheap, go with a GTX 1660 and mod the 2 stream limit off.  That's cheaper than a new mobo, RAM, and CPU. After all unless you already have a B450 and DDR4 sitting around already, 130 dollars isn't going to there anyway.

41 minutes ago, Egad said:

If you really want cheap, go with a GTX 1660 and mod the 2 stream limit off.  That's cheaper than a new mobo, RAM, and CPU. After all unless you already have a B450 and DDR4 sitting around already, 130 dollars isn't going to there anyway.

4 hours ago, frooshiantee said:

Hey! I want to separate my gaming rig from my plex server. I'm tired of waiting until people are done watching shows before I can restart my gaming PC.

At most i'd have 4 streams transcoding 1080p, and according to Plex documentation that would require an 8,000 passmark score. I don't want to do hardware transcoding because I want to build a cheaper rig. 

Does anyone recommend an AMD Ryzen CPU that would get a 10,000 passmark rating but isn't expensive? Do we have any idea what the passmark rating is for these brand new CPU's that just dropped in the past couple of weeks?

I love you. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Considered simply  buying a small plex server? After all there are a number of ones on the market.

42 minutes ago, Egad said:

I just meant 125 for the CPU. I am going to build a new rig that is dedicated to Plex, and keep my I7 and 1060 for gaming. so I'm just curious what a good ryzen CPU is.

12 hours ago, frooshiantee said:

I don't want to do hardware transcoding because i'm trying to find the cheapest solution, so buying a CPU and GPU would be kinda unnecessary, I just want a CPU that can handle 4 transcoding streams. My budget is $130. Case like ATX case? Why would the case matter?

11 hours ago, frooshiantee said:

I just meant 125 for the CPU. I am going to build a new rig that is dedicated to Plex, and keep my I7 and 1060 for gaming. so I'm just curious what a good ryzen CPU is.

If you are sure that you don't want to run hardware transcoding, then I would go with a Ryzen 3 3200G with integrated Radeon graphics build-in. Different case designs and sizes have different airflow, I wouldn't recommend running 95 watt TDP processors in ultra small form factor cases for example. Although, since you don't want to have hardware transcoding, a Ryzen 3200G should be great and can be put in pretty much any case with a supported motherboard and air-flow limitations of the case shouldn't be too much of an issue since the lower TDP and high efficiency of his processor.

Link to a Ryzen 3200G:        https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amd-ryzen-3-3200g-quad-core-3-6-ghz-socket-am4-desktop-processor/6356279.p?skuId=6356279&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1767&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlPm8yaqG6QIVy56zCh0mKw-KEAYYAyABEgKobfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Zoom in on Alt View Standard 11. AMD - Ryzen 3 3200G Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Socket AM4 Desktop Processor.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch