Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A few questions about second-handed RX 570s

So 2 months ago I bought an XFX RX 570 4 GB for 85$ that was used for mining that the seller claims it came all the way from china (yes it's legit), I flashed a gaming vBios on it and it's been working fine so far and it's temps were averaging around 71 C in heaven benchmark at extreme preset and been performing fine, But then after only a month of using it one of the GPU's fans started making a rattling noise, then after a week the other fan started doing that too, also my friends that bought the same thing had the same problem...

So first question is, Why do used GPU's fans wear out so quickly even though they're supposed to last at least 4 years?

Also I noticed that most XFX RX 570s on the market where I live that I believe some of them came from Europe too have something really weird in common, it's that they come with a 6 pin connector instead of an 8 pin connector and they come without a back plate even though the holes that the backplate's screws are supposed to be mounted on are there on the chip, Also their I/O shield is different, their I/O shield looks like Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders edition's I/O shield (you can google it)

So second question is, why do some used GPUs look different from the ones on the official website of the make?

So my RX 570 is running at 1244 MHz, but the problem is that it doesn't reach that clock speed unless I undervolt it in MSI afterburner (-50 mV or more)

So third and final question is, Why my RX 570 doesn't reach full clock speed at default voltage?

3 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Why do used GPU's fans wear out so quickly even though they're supposed to last at least 4 years?

I'm not sure where you pulled the 4 year number from, but mining cards run hot 24/7. The fans simply complete many more revolutions in the same time period than most users put on them. That makes them wear out faster.

6 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

So second question is, why do some used GPUs look different from the ones on the official website of the make?

These could be custom models for a bulk order. Hard to say with certainty.

4 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

So third and final question is, Why my RX 570 doesn't reach full clock speed at default voltage?

Sounds like it's bumping into a power limit. This might be the VBIOS having a lower than normal target TDP. Logging with a program such as HWiNFO may reveal the throttle reason.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

So first question is, Why do used GPU's fans wear out so quickly even though they're supposed to last at least 4 years?

GPU fans are rated to last for hours.  So when a gaming GPU says its fan for last N years, the years is based on well the GPU fan is good for X hours, so then the years it will last is: X / (52 * average amount of time someone games a week).  Your RX570 was running all day, so 168 hours a week vs average amount of time someone spends gaming.  Plus if the GPUs were all slammed into a system together, probably more heat and the fans running at high RPMs more which is also going to shorten life.

XFX makes multiple 570 variants.  I count 7 on their North American website, they may have more for other regions.  Different variants hit different guaranteed overlocking bins.  You mention you flashed a custom BIOS on it and the cooler is also failing, so there are variables at play here.  

Probably because it's throttling due to heat or power limit and undervolting reduces heat/keeps you from hitting the power limit.

In the mine, graphics cards run their fans at 100% (rarely even 80%) 24/7. That's certainly not what its meant to do (unlike workstation cards)

7 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Also I noticed that most XFX RX 570s on the market where I live that I believe some of them came from Europe too have something really weird in common, it's that they come with a 6 pin connector instead of an 8 pin connector

At 150w rating, 6pin is all it needs

8 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

they come without a back plate even though the holes that the backplate's screws are supposed to be mounted on are there on the chip,

Mining edition = Aesthtic crap are omitted

8 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Also their I/O shield is different, their I/O shield looks like Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders edition's I/O shield (you can google it)

they could just reuse the I/O shield of a blower card, i.e. reference design

9 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Again, because down-costing. Maybe they have more of the old shrouds for older models (400 series) around, maybe they want to use less plastic

9 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

So my RX 570 is running at 1244 MHz, but the problem is that it doesn't reach that clock speed unless I undervolt it in MSI afterburner (-50 mV or more)

Power limit maybe?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

I'm not sure where you pulled the 4 year number from, but mining cards run hot 24/7. The fans simply complete many more revolutions in the same time period than most users put on them. That makes them wear out faster.

These could be custom models for a bulk order. Hard to say with certainty.

Sounds like it's bumping into a power limit. This might be the VBIOS having a lower than normal target TDP. Logging with a program such as HWiNFO may reveal the throttle reason.

It's power limit is 120 watts which is the same as the normal BIOS of the XFX RX 570, When I increase power limit to +50% without undervolt it hits 170 watts, And if these are custom models why do they perform exactly like the normal XFX RX 570s, Also the dude at Tech Yes City bought a used-for-mining Gigabyte RX 570 and it working fine and he didn't report any of fan wearing out issues

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Mining edition = Aesthtic crap are omitted

It's not a mining edition GPU, but it's owner when he first bought it flashed a mining BIOS onto it...

Probably i'll never trust tech yes city again, the dude bought a Gigabyte RX 570 that was used for mining and had no problems with it...

it hits 170 watts

Here is your proof that it's bumping into power limits, it's taking all the power you give to it.

6 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

if these are custom models why do they perform exactly like the normal XFX RX 570s

The customized bits are mostly the VBIOS, I/O shield, and cooling solution, presumably for cost reduction.

5 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Also the dude at Tech Yes City bought a used-for-mining Gigabyte RX 570 and it working fine and he didn't report any of fan wearing out issues

Different GPU manufacturer, potentially a higher quality fan. Not everyone is going to get the same results, even with the same products.

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

41 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Here is your proof that it's bumping into power limits, it's taking all the power you give to it.

The customized bits are mostly the VBIOS, I/O shield, and cooling solution, presumably for cost reduction.

Different GPU manufacturer, potentially a higher quality fan. Not everyone is going to get the same results, even with the same products.

Hmmmm.... But I got another concern now, PCIe slot provides 75 Watts, 6 pin connector provides 75 Watts, so that's 150 Watts, so how does the GPU hit 170 Watts 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

GPU hit 170 Watts

And don't forget that total card power is another 10-20% on top, so you're looking at 200 W-ish. One or both of those connectors is getting overloaded.

@svmlegacy@Jurrunio@Egad for context, he has:

1) had the entire cooler replaced by amateurs

2) tried to relubricate the fans, breaking them

3) repasted his gpu with a no name paste that made the cooler's performance worse despite being told multiple times to leave it alone

4) repeatedly posted about these issues for weeks

The answers to the questions here ultimately boil down to having treated the card very poorly and I feel like it's a little misleading to ask them without mentioning the history of this card.

At this point the best course of action is to stop messing with it, @InfinityVive. If you keep trying random things and ignoring advice eventually you'll just break the card completely. Please, stop posting about these issues if you're not going to listen when people try to help you - and also, for your own peace of mind, stop worrying about whether or not your cheap used card is performing at its absolute best. You have a 1280x1024 monitor, it's not going to matter anyway so long as it performs more or less within expectations, which it does. It's fine, really.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

30 minutes ago, Sauron said:

This is the first gaming Grahpics cards I buy in my life, I am still gaining experience and trying to learn from my mistakes, You gotta start somewhere you know.

Also I repasted my GPU with weird brands because I couldn't find any good thermal paste so I had to order the arctic MX 4 and sadly it needs a lot of time to arrive

When I had my entire cooler replaced I think they took it from another used XFX RX 570 so that's why it started having these issues again

I kept reposting about these problems because I thought it would get more people to reply, Guess I was very wrong, Learned that the hard way

36 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The answers to the questions here ultimately boil down to having treated the card very poorly and I feel like it's a little misleading to ask them without mentioning the history of this card.

At this point the best course of action is to stop messing with it, @InfinityVive. If you keep trying random things and ignoring advice eventually you'll just break the card completely. Please, stop posting about these issues if you're not going to listen when people try to help you - and also, for your own peace of mind, stop worrying about whether or not your cheap used card is performing at its absolute best. You have a 1280x1024 monitor, it's not going to matter anyway so long as it performs more or less within expectations, which it does. It's fine, really.

I think I learned that the hard way, But all I just want is that my graphics card works perfectly like the used RX 570s the youtubers buy and review, How do these people that buy used graphics cards make them work perfectly?

I will stop messing with it once I am done with all it's problems, I will try to do it all myself and keep amateurs out of the way

I also bought a dell 16:9 monitor that I started using, It's not as comfortable as my 5:4 monitor for me but I will try to get used to it

Final point: This topic is made about the problems/weirdness that are in common with all used XFX RX 570s on the market and not only my graphics cards, I am already done listing about my graphics card alone and now know what to do, I learned it the hard way.

9 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

And don't forget that total card power is another 10-20% on top, so you're looking at 200 W-ish. One or both of those connectors is getting overloaded.

And... is that a good thing or a bad thing? I think  it's because Dell's motherboard is made to be used with a GPU without external connectors so they probably increased the power going through PCIe slots?

5 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

will try to do it all myself and keep amateurs out of the way

You are the amateur that should just stop messing with it.

13 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

How do these people that buy used graphics cards make them work perfectly?

They certainly don't spend the better part of two months tearing them apart over and over trying to solve very minor issues.

I currently have a used card in my main desktop. I bought it from a friend of mine whom I know treated it very well. I saw the card working perfectly with my own eyes before I bought it and I haven't had a problem with it since. Buying from a trusted source and personally checking that everything is fine before purchase helps a lot.

Not everyone can do that; in that case you should look for sellers with decent return policies and return the card if you're not satisfied - or accept that buying a heavily used card at half the retail price could result in a few minor issues. If that tradeoff is not worth it for you then you should buy new hardware. I buy used stuff all the time, it's not always perfect but I don't mind because it's still worth the price and if it isn't I just return it.

23 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I kept reposting about these problems because I thought it would get more people to reply, Guess I was very wrong, Learned that the hard way

That's not how forums work. Aside from that, your topics pretty much always get some answers and you often proceed to ignore them.

39 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

This topic is made about the problems/weirdness that are in common with all used XFX RX 570s on the market and not only my graphics cards

How do you know they are common problems on other similar cards? The only thing you mentioned is that those cards have a 6pin power connector and a different IO plate, which is not a problem but rather just the way they are made.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

29 minutes ago, Sauron said:

How do you know they are common problems on other similar cards? The only thing you mentioned is that those cards have a 6pin power connector and a different IO plate, which is not a problem but rather just the way they are made.

You forgot to mention fans wearing out, Almost every friend that bought several graphics cards complain about the same problem

1 hour ago, noxdeouroboros said:

You are the amateur that should just stop messing with it.

Maybe, but I am learning, And that's what matters.

19 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Almost every friend that bought several graphics cards complain about the same problem

You didn't mention that in the OP.

20 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

You forgot to mention fans wearing out

If there is a pattern of these cards' fans "wearing out", by which I assume you mean making some noise, it might be because it's one of the cheapest 570s on the market and it's designed for mining where fan noise is irrelevant.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

You didn't mention that in the OP.

If there is a pattern of these cards' fans "wearing out", by which I assume you mean making some noise, it might be because it's one of the cheapest 570s on the market and it's designed for mining where fan noise is irrelevant.

Ye I started looking for a fan replacement for my graphics card, It's not exactly a pattern, But they make some noise, some graphics cards fans make a slight clicking noise, some others make a car engine noise, What fan replacement do you suggest me to get? Are these fans that are similar to mine that are all over aliexpress worth it?

Edit: And... uh... did I get scammed? I paid 85$ for that thing

1 hour ago, InfinityVive said:

What fan replacement do you suggest me to get?

As I was saying... I suggest you stop messing with it.

Edit: And... uh... did I get scammed? I paid 85$ for that thing

On amazon that card is about $130 new so I'd say $85 is fair - at least if the prices in Egypt are the same.

they make some noise, some graphics cards fans make a slight clicking noise, some others make a car engine noise

Some of that is normal on low quality fans (it's a cheap card), other than that if it got bumped in shipping the shroud could be bent and the blades might be hitting the heatsink underneath. In that case you should be able to tell just by looking at it and you can fix it by gently bending it back.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

As I was saying... I suggest you stop messing with it.

On amazon that card is about $130 new so I'd say $85 is fair - at least if the prices in Egypt are the same.

Some of that is normal on low quality fans (it's a cheap card), other than that if it got bumped in shipping the shroud could be bent and the blades might be hitting the heatsink underneath. In that case you should be able to tell just by looking at it and you can fix it by gently bending it back.

And are these cards made with lower quality silicone than the normal ones or not? will silicone help at overclocking? I am planning on overclocking my GPU to RX 5500 levels or a bit lower

I hate the bump the thread, but +1 internet points for @Sauron. I wasn't aware of the multiple similar posts beforehand.

12 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

And are these cards made with lower quality silicone than the normal ones or not?

No, the silicon is all produced by GloFo for AMD and AMD sells it to partners like XFX.

12 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

overclocking my GPU to RX 5500 levels or a bit lower

Remember when I said to leave it be? You're already hitting the power limits of the connector, overclocking that card is a bad idea.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

Some partners will bin their silicon to produce some higher end card but I would be really surprised that some did it the other way around ... it's probably just the silicon lottery there ...

also I would not oc that card if it's running hot with stock settings already. 

just my 2cents

I7 4770 non K

Sapphire nitro+ RX 590 SE

16 gig of G.Skill DDR3 at 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24

Asus Z97-A USB 3.0

Corsair HX 850 gold semi-modular PSU

Noctua NH-U12S with a second noctua NF-F12 fan
Antec 302 with stock antec 120mm and 140 mm as exhaust

1x Noctua NF-A12x15 as side exhaust

2x Noctua NF-S12A as intake

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb SSD

Toshiba DT01ADA200 2 Tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache

Logitech G305

GMMK tkl barebones with kailh speed copper and blank pbt dsa profile keycap. 

6 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Some partners will bin their silicon to produce some higher end card but I would be really surprised that some did it the other way around ... it's probably just the silicon lottery there ...

also I would not oc that card if it's running hot with stock settings already. 

just my 2cents

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

No, the silicon is all produced by GloFo for AMD and AMD sells it to partners like XFX.

Remember when I said to leave it be? You're already hitting the power limits of the connector, overclocking that card is a bad idea.

What if I fix the high temps problem? I already fixed the power limit problem as I under-volted it -75 mV and it reached 1244 MHz at only 125 Watts

Will that be the proper case to overclock or I should also look into other stuff? And I found out it has +80 mV (overvolted) when it hit 170 Watts, I am glad I found out about that overvolt before anything bad happened, Will I need to overvolt it to overclock?

What if I fix the high temps problem?

You're power bound so still no.

I under-volted it -75 mV

The lower the voltage the less stable the card will be at higher frequencies so that doesn't change the situation.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You're power bound so still no.

The lower the voltage the less stable the card will be at higher frequencies so that doesn't change the situation.

So you're telling me I am better off solving the temps problem then leaving the card be and when the time comes I just buy a new one instead of overclocking it?

Edit: And since you realized how sensitive I am to GPU problems, should I buy new?