stupid question in my exam

Tom_nerd

this is a question in my end of year exam paper (attached) and I'm sure by now your inner nerd is already being annoyed at this question, I was half-way through writing a paper about why it is so stupid I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas

(the question gives no context for what the situation is)

IMG-20200424-WA0001.jpg

On 4/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, spirch said:

A, because Acer sponsored the question, ofcourse.

this thing is, is that I am literally writing this on a Acer laptop and using a ACER mouse 😞 

On 4/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, ItsMeRachata said:

This is by far the most stupid question ever I've seen in my life. If it says the situation, then I can answer(probably still not)

THANK YOU!!

2 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

although it could be B because of its higher frequency so therefore would be faster at network backups

Nope, system doesn't list a NIC, so it's a standalone system 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 4/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, ItsMeRachata said:

If it says the situation, then I can answer(probably still not)

so could I, but it just comes out of the blue, it is questions about HTML then comes out with that whoper

On 4/24/2020 at 6:28 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Nope, system doesn't list a NIC, so it's a standalone system 🤪

although would the higher frequency give PC 2 and advantage

It's obviously A.

4 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

although it could be B because of its higher frequency so therefore would be faster at network backups

Except that has nothing to do with network speed...

Also the first one has 4 threads, the second has two.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Except that has nothing to do with network speed...

Also the first one has 4 threads, the second has two.

doesn't single core performance impact network speed? because I saw in the video with Linus and the 8086K he had great download numbers and he put that down to the clockspeed

Wouldn’t an external USB drive be better for backups than (quite archaic) DVDs? Surely, both of the systems have USB ports. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Tom_nerd said:

although would the higher frequency give PC 2 and advantage

Not by much, as it's choked by lack of ram, and I suspect the 320GB HDD is 5400RPM

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

and I suspect the 320GB HDD is 5400RPM

I think my Computer science teacher is still living in the 90's so I would expect so

Just now, Tom_nerd said:

I think my Computer science teacher is still living in the 90's so I would expect so

rofl

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Wouldn’t an external USB drive be better for backups than (quite archaic) DVDs? Surely, both of the systems have USB ports. 

yes but I think that the question is trying to get the person to say that DVDs can store stuff

5 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

doesn't single core performance impact network speed? because I saw in the video with Linus and the 8086K he had great download numbers and he put that down to the clockspeed

What makes you think the older CPU would have better single core performance?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Computer B says "g4-bit", which doesn't exist, therefore computer A :D

It would make more sense if it said F4, from a Hexadecimal standpoint. 

My eyes see the past…

Based on just the information on screen it’s A.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

As fast as I readed that "RAM memory" I started to be really annoyed by fact that people who teach us are stupidier than us

EDIT: now I read the entire rig specs and for both computers they said they have "Windows 7 Home Premium". So, I would say none of these is correct, since it have unexistable os

23 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

It doesn’t say it’s connected to a network, so how could make backups?

2 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

It doesn’t say it’s connected to a network, so how could make backups?

It doesn't say you have blank DVDs to record on either, so how could you make backups? 😜

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It doesn't say you have blank DVDs to record on either, so how could you make backups? 😜

Good point, hard to argue against that logic.

It more likely to assume a computer owner with a  CD/DVD writer has CDs or DVDs to write to than a internet connection good enough to back up in. 

I am basing this assumption that this question has hardly been updated since the late 90s/early 2000s when we were only just getting decent internets.

2 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

It more likely to assume a computer owner with a  CD/DVD writer has CDs or DVDs to write to than a internet connection good enough to back up in.

I am basing this assumption that this question has hardly been updated since the late 90s/early 2000s when we were only just getting decent internets.

Good point.

But I'm with OP, the question is silly as asked. Both computers are capable of backups, if e.g. you attach an external drive, or even by using a different partition (doesn't specify what you're protecting against). Even just copying a file is a "backup copy" if all you want is to restore the file if you make a mistake editing it... doesn't say it has to survive a house fire or anything.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Good point.

But I'm with OP, the question is silly as asked. Both computers are capable of backups, if e.g. you attach an external drive, or even by using a different partition (doesn't specify what you're protecting against). Even just copying a file is a "backup copy" if all you want is to restore the file if you make a mistake editing it... doesn't say it has to survive a house fire or anything.

But if you don’t have an external drive or any I/O you can’t. Based purely off those  specs only A can make backups. Also wondering what level this end of year exam is considering the g4-bit windows 7 edition. 

I’ve had questions that are literally unanswerable in Physics exams so this isn’t too bad. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

6 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

But if you don’t have an external drive or any I/O you can’t. Based purely off those  specs only A can make backups. Also wondering what level this end of year exam is considering the g4-bit windows 7 edition. 

I’ve had questions that are literally unanswerable in Physics exams so this isn’t too bad. 

Likewise, if you don’t have blank DVDs, you can’t make backups with a DVD drive. 

My eyes see the past…