Optiplex 9020 RAM Strangeness

If I add RAM to the "blue slots" (3&4) on my transplanted Optiplex 9020, on startup I get a error message that the memory configuration has changed and to select F1 to continue or F2 to change the memory in BIOS (A25).

There is no option on the BIOS to reconfigure the memory.  Exiting the BIOS results in a boot failure.

After removing the RAM in those slots, it takes several restarts to get the computer.

Others who have had similar problems have updated the BIOS, but A25 is the latest BIOS.  

Any ideas?

If you pop out the RAM that came with the Optiplex and put your new RAM into those slots, can you get the computer to boot on just the new RAM?

Sounds like bad RAM. Have you reset CMOS?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

22 minutes ago, Egad said:

If you pop out the RAM that came with the Optiplex and put your new RAM into those slots, can you get the computer to boot on just the new RAM?

I haven't tried that.  The modules are all the same (the RAM in the 9020 and the other modules).  I've been loathe to mess with the slot 1&2 RAM because the computer runs until I mess with the RAM and then I have to go through repeated attempts before it works (boots into Windows) and then it's 'stable'.

20 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Sounds like bad RAM. Have you reset CMOS?

I did when I first set the computer up (it's a project computer) - this is my second motherboard for this project (the first one apparently failed - I'm still tinkering with it).  This mobo required a new coin battery.

I took the RAM off the old mobo.  Two modules were mismatched brand but same spec and two were OEM Dell.  Once I got the mobo installed I couldn't get it to boot with the two mismatched brand name modules in slots 3&4.  It would try to boot and then give me a memory configuration changed message and then BSOD before I could do anything.  Or just crash into a BSOD.  I guessed it was RAM from the behavior).

So I pulled the slot 3&4 mismatched brand modules.  Then I could get into the BIOS and it booted into Windows

So I bought 2 used Dell OEM Hynix 4GB PC3-12800 modules.  I installed them and I got the "memory configuration changed" message.  F1 to continue, F2 to enter BIOS and change the memory configuration.  I hit F2.  There is no option to change the memory configuration.  Exit and BSOD.

Tomorrow I'll try F1 to continue (but a post in the Dell Community forums says a user that did that continued to have BSODs when he did a cold boot until he updated his BIOS - but I've updated to the latest BIOS - A25),

I'll also try the "new" RAM in slots 1&2.

And today's adventure.

So this AM I switched the modules I put the 'new ones' (Dell OEM) in DIMM slots 1&2 (white tab).   The computer started with no issues.  Those are specifically Hynix 4GB PC3-12800.

Then I put the 'original' modules in DIMM slots 3&4 (black tabs).  On startup , after the BIOS screens, I got a "Warning!  The memory configuration has been changed, press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup" message.  I pressed F1 and the computer booted.

Then I tried a restart (soft boot).  Computer won't start - fans start and stop repeatedly and I get a beep ---beep---beep.  Which is a single beep and not listed by Dell - Dell says the memory failure beep code is 1-3-2 .

Took the 'original modules' out, cold booted  and I get :

"Error! Memory configured incorrectly.  Please enter setup for memory information details.

Alert! The amount of system memory has changed.

System halted!"

That error message is not listed by Dell.  Neither is the "Memory configuration has been changed" error message.

I restarted and entered the BIOS.  In the Dell BIOS A25 for the 9020 there is only memory information (no way to configure it) - it shows this.  Exit the BIOS and the computer boots into Windows.  The 'new' or Hynix modules are installed.

The 'original' modules are Kingston.  The Hynix are double sided and the Kingston single sided.  The computer will boot with either modules in slots 1&2 (white tabs).  And will boot once (after F1) with both installed, but not after that.

The RAM modules are all good.  There's something wonky.  Could be the BIOS or DIMM slots 3&4 - but it will boot with those slots populated (under conditions).

Did you try to reseat the cpu ?   

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

1 hour ago, Dr0y said:

Did you try to reseat the cpu ?   

No.  Not sure what that would do?

Read:

From the manual.

Memory modules of different sizes can be mixed (for example, 2 GB and 4 GB). But, all populated channels must 
have identical configurations.
• Memory modules must be installed beginning with the first socket.
NOTE: The memory sockets in your computer may be labeled differently depending on the hardware 
configuration. For example, A1, A2 or 1,2,3.
• If the quad-rank memory modules are mixed with single or dual-rank modules, the quad-rank modules must be 
installed in the sockets with the white release levers.
• If memory modules with different speeds are installed, they operate at the speed of the slowest installed memory 
modules.

And as a rule of thumb, dont mix and match memory. Better to run all identical sticks.

Good Luck!

29 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Read:

From the manual.

Memory modules of different sizes can be mixed (for example, 2 GB and 4 GB). But, all populated channels must 
NOTE: The memory sockets in your computer may be labeled differently depending on the hardware 
• If the quad-rank memory modules are mixed with single or dual-rank modules, the quad-rank modules must be 
• If memory modules with different speeds are installed, they operate at the speed of the slowest installed memory 
modules.

And as a rule of thumb, don't mix and match memory. Better to run all identical sticks.

Good Luck!

I read that in the manual  (I am intimate with the manual).  It says (to me) that:

1.  All channels (white or black) must be populated with the same size modules.  In other words you can put 2GB sticks in white and 4GB in black but the 2GB sticks have to be the same configuration (single or dual rank but not both) and the 4 GB sticks have to be the same configuration (single or dual rank but not both).  Correct?

2.  You can't put different size sticks in the same channel (RAM 101).  I'm not.

3.  You can use single or dual rank modules but the sticks in each channel have to be the same (see above).  If you use quad rank sticks they have to go in the white slots.  Correct?

4.  RAM speed defaults to the lowest speed modules - so you can have different speed modules in different channels, as long as all the modules in a channel are the same configuration.  Correct?

So I am not violating any Dell law.  I have 2 4GB single rank modules (Kingston) and 2 4GB dual rank modules (Hynix).  All of them are PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM (non-ECC) @ 1600MhZ.  Ass long as I put one set in the white slots and one set in the black slots it should be fine.  The computer works with either set in the white slots but not with either set installed in the black slots - except that it will bot ONCE after either set is installed in the black slots, then give me a non-Dell manual Memory configuration has changed Press F1 to continue or press F2 to enter setup warning and runs perfectly fine until you try to restart it (error messages are on pages 48-51 of the Dell 9020 Owners Manual). 

But once you restart (either from the OS or starting it after shutdown with the power switch) just cycles power while giving a non-Dell manual error beep (1 beep repeating).

As the 9020 Owners Manual says - the startup (POST?) memory failure beep code is 1-3-2 (9020 Owners Manual page 48) .  Not 1-1-1.

Not getting any of the power LED amber or white state diagnostic codes either (I preserved the OEM power cable / switch / LED).  I am not getting an amber LED state blinking 3,5 for memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error which I would expect to get if the different RAM module set were this issue.

Does that bios have an event log? If so try clearing that, then save changes and exit bios.

Or after you have entered bios after being prompted, before exiting, try saving changes then exit even though you did not make changes. 

See if either of these help.

4 hours ago, mmurley said:

No.  Not sure what that would do?

A pin not having a good contact can produce weird stuff with memory.

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Dells don't always obey Dell law though.  I agree in theory if you in Slots 1 and 2 you have Matched Pair A and if in Slots you have Matched Pair B, then it should work as long as neither matched pair violates the rules, even if pair A and B are not equal things should work.

However my personal experience with Dells that should does not mean they will.  I would agree with others, you can clean the RAM slots, reseat the CPU and generally hope for the best.  Hopefully one of those fixes it, but if you can boot with Pair A or Pair B but not both, the unfortunate solution is probably you have to dump one of the pairs in favor of four of the same.  I've had to do it enough I really only do memory upgrades for Dell using the Crucial tool:

https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor

Reality is if Dell never shipped a config of say 2x4, 2x2, then they never validated it.  Or maybe they did validate it but the particular timing differences between the pairs you have don't work because of a bug in the BIOS about down clocking to the lowest speed, etc.   At least 20% of the time I've gotten burned doing exactly what you're doing.  The fact either pair works but both pairs together don't makes me think this one of those cases, with an off chance it's something isn't seated right as the problem.

Well I had a dell motherboard and never had any problem with the messed up ram I used in it ... but it was an older model so maybe things got more complicated with your model. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

So I cleared the BIOS log.

Then checked, cleaned and reseated the CPU.  New thermal paste of course.  Cleaned the RAM slots as best I could.  Cleaned the pins on the modules.  Reseated them all.  Mades sure they were seated.

Rebooted.  Got the F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup, F5 for onboard diagnostics message.  Choose F5.  Memory passed all tests.

On exit and reboot I got the same symptom as before.  Repeated single beep.

I think Egad is right.  8GB is enough for right now (I'm not a gamer in the Fornite, etc. sense).

• 7 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 2:38 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

Read:

From the manual.

modules.

And as a rule of thumb, dont mix and match memory. Better to run all identical sticks.

Good Luck!

Can single and dual ranks be mixed ?

45 minutes ago, NotSoGeeky said:

Can single and dual ranks be mixed ?

Yes they can, however some of that memory might wind up in windows reserved.