Buying new monitor going from 1080p 120hz TN panel to 1440p

Roknaroz
Go to solution Solved by Imabigmac,

Not as far as i know. At the time i bought this monitor i didn't look for much else than the 120 hz tag and low ms. But as i look up the monitor now i can't find anything confirming it having PWM

If it does that is a relief since this monitor haven't annoyed me with any flicker.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/acer-gd245hq-lg-flatron-w2363d_4.html, that's what I found, they claim it is anyway. I haven't been bothered by the flickering of my pb278q. I think if you stare at 27inches of bright light you get a headache pretty fast anyway.

Hello forum

I am right now sitting reading reviews about a bunch of different monitors running 1440p.

Right now i have no idear which one i want. Because i can find pros and cons on every monitor and it is really making me indecisive.

I will be using the monitor for gaming, browsing and school work.

The games i play are:
League of Legends (non competitive)

Team fortress 2 (non competitive)
multiple different Singleplayer games.

So right now i would really want input for the choice between the next couple of monitors. Feel free to suggest other monitors. But keep in mind i live in Denmark so the prices here are probably higher than you'd expect. Feel free to find a shop with your monitor though i will look at all suggestions pretty much.

But here are the monitors that i've been considering.

AOC q2770Pqu 568$

ASUS PB278q 697$

Dell 2713hm 660$

Viewsonic vp2770  811$

FYI: I have been looking at Korean Ebay sellers but i am not sure if i wanna risk it

then again good arguements towards it could change my opinion but i've done enough research to feel a bit bad about it. 

Edited by Roknaroz

Well the ROG swift comes out soon which is a G-Sync 120hz 1440p monitor. Do with that information what you please :P

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I'm currently using an ASUS PB298q which is the 29inch 21:9 variant of the ASUS PB278q. Mine does 120hz if i set it manually, maybe the 27inch one does that too, could be worth a try. Also these Panel don't use PWM for dimming, which means there is none of the headache inducing pwm flimmer.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

@Osmium

Knowing the crazy prices in Denmark the monitor you are talking about is gonna be way over what i expect to spend on the monitor.

Also i really wanna change to an IPS or PLS to try something with better colors and all that. i think i am done with TNs which i think i read that the ROG will be using

But thanks for reply :)

@Elbstrand

Can you really OC the PB278q? i thought that was only the korean monitors that did that without much hazzle.

Well the ROG swift comes out soon which is a G-Sync 120hz 1440p monitor. Do with that information what you please :P

TN :')

Better off with a non-GSync one.

@Elbstrand

Can you really OC the PB278q? i thought that was only the korean monitors that did that without much hazzle.

I know you can OC the PB298q, not sure about the PB278q, but as i said maybe give it a try, i'm sure you can return things withing a certain timeframe in your country.

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

I've stretched my budget a bit to include Viewsonic vp2770 in the options.
It is the more expensive monitor sitting at 811$. But if it really is worth the higher price i will go with it!

I just ordered an X Star dp2710 and I'll let you know how it went when it gets here.

Sounds great i look forward to hear if it is worth the risk!

Why buy a new monitor when you can just buy cake and be happy with your good-old monitor?

Why buy a new monitor when you can just buy cake and be happy with your good-old monitor?

Good point

I'm currently using an ASUS PB298q... Mine does 120hz if i set it manually

Proof?

No issues like messed up text, tearing, microstutter, flicker, etc.? No electrical issues like buzzing or other things?

If so, then I might just pick one up.. and hope I don't get any horrible backlight bleeding like ASUS is known for.

Edit: Reports say it drops frames above 75Hz.  If so, I might just pass on it and go for a standard 120/144Hz 16:9 display until newer models are out.. and hopefully 16:10 or even 21:10, as :9 based resolutions are terrible for anything aside from gaming on Hor+ games.

So again, it's a battle between very low motion blur/fast pixel response time or excellent colors/viewing angles and massive FoV from 21:9..  ugggggh.

I have a PB278q and I love it. Tossed between the dell and this one. I went with the cheaper one and the dell wasn't on sale when I bought I got the asus instead. Somewhere I recall reading that the ASUS had a better overall pixel response in comparison to the dell not sure how true that was. What really sold me was a video on ASUS's website showing off NFS with 3 PB278Q and I despite ASUS not really marketing them as "gaming" monitors here they are running games on them. You don't see dell trying to sell monitor like that. Although if warranty means anything to you the dell might be better as they have amazing customer service and returns at least in North America. I never really looked into anything else as I wanted a big name with proper warranty, cables etc and other ones were just too much money for me to realistically spend. 

Proof?

No issues like messed up text, tearing, microstutter, flicker, etc.? No electrical issues like buzzing or other things?

If so, then I might just pick one up.. and hope I don't get any horrible backlight bleeding like ASUS is known for.

My asus has blacklight bleeding but Someone showed me a picture of his dell u2713hm and it was about the same, that was a even a replacement for an even worse one. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I have a PB278q and I love it. Tossed between the dell and this one. I went with the cheaper one and the dell wasn't on sale when I bought I got the asus instead. Somewhere I recall reading that the ASUS had a better overall pixel response in comparison to the dell not sure how true that was.

how to deal with PWM tho? like that is the only thing that leads me away from the Asus. :-S

how to deal with PWM tho? like that is the only thing that leads me away from the Asus. :-S

what monitor do you have now?
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Acer GD245HQ

doesn't that use PWM?
Spoiler

doesn't that use PWM?

Not as far as i know. At the time i bought this monitor i didn't look for much else than the 120 hz tag and low ms. But as i look up the monitor now i can't find anything confirming it having PWM

If it does that is a relief since this monitor haven't annoyed me with any flicker.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/acer-gd245hq-lg-flatron-w2363d_4.html, that's what I found, they claim it is anyway. I haven't been bothered by the flickering of my pb278q. I think if you stare at 27inches of bright light you get a headache pretty fast anyway.
Spoiler

Well this upped the Asus up my list. Thanks a lot for your time! There is still a little over a month for my birthday (that is when i am getting the monitor)

So i will keep on researching but if i were to go out and buy now it would prbly be the Asus!

Well this upped the Asus up my list. Thanks a lot for your time! There is still a little over a month for my birthday (that is when i am getting the monitor)

So i will keep on researching but if i were to go out and buy now it would prbly be the Asus!

My suggestion is to either buy the dell or asus- get the one which is cheaper and if you still feel that the PWM may cause a problem go with the dell. I honestly don't think you there is anything wrong with either of them. In my opinion the extra money for the veiwsonic isn't worth it unless your a professional editor, photographer etc.
Spoiler

Proof?

Edit: Reports say it drops frames above 75Hz.  If so, I might just pass on it and go for a standard 120/144Hz 16:9 display until newer models are out.. and hopefully 16:10 or even 21:10, as :9 based resolutions are terrible for anything aside from gaming on Hor+ games.

So again, it's a battle between very low motion blur/fast pixel response time or excellent colors/viewing angles and massive FoV from 21:9..  ugggggh.

Well it just plain works with my panel. Every thing is smooth and the picture quality is the same as with 60 hz. Where did you find those reports?

How would i go about proving it?

post-8853-0-42748500-1393461923_thumb.jp

Well it just plain works with my panel. Every thing is smooth and the picture quality is the same as with 60 hz. Where did you find those reports?

Proof over on [H]: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040517424&postcount=10

There's tools you can use to see if it's actually running as you expect over on blurbuster, namely this one for monitor OCing: http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

Read #3 to see an example of proper vs improper function.

If yours actually doesn't drop frames, then damn, congrats, and let everyone know your panel details/monitor revision so we can buy them up!

• 1 month later...

Update:

After been messing around and searching for the monitor worth my money.

I deicided to go with a Benq BL2710PT.(Mainly after watching Fabelhaft NCX on youtube concluding it is the surperior monitor to the Asus pb278q)

It has not arrived yet but i'll be writing my first hand impressions when it arrives.

#First1440pmonitor
#Hyped

Update:

After been messing around and searching for the monitor worth my money.

I deicided to go with a Benq BL2710PT.(Mainly after watching Fabelhaft NCX on youtube concluding it is the surperior monitor to the Asus pb278q)

It has not arrived yet but i'll be writing my first hand impressions when it arrives.

#First1440pmonitor

#Hyped

So over 600 on a monitor... you're not even getting IPS. and you're getting 60Hz. waste of money I can almost buy 3 xstar DP2710LED monitors, which are all IPS and can do 120 Hz each. for a third of the  price.

hope you enjoy it...

Hello forum

I am right now sitting reading reviews about a bunch of different monitors running 1440p.

Right now i have no idear which one i want. Because i can find pros and cons on every monitor and it is really making me indecisive.

I will be using the monitor for gaming, browsing and school work.

The games i play are:

League of Legends (non competitive)

Team fortress 2 (non competitive)

multiple different Singleplayer games.

So right now i would really want input for the choice between the next couple of monitors. Feel free to suggest other monitors. But keep in mind i live in Denmark so the prices here are probably higher than you'd expect. Feel free to find a shop with your monitor though i will look at all suggestions pretty much.

But here are the monitors that i've been considering.

AOC q2770Pqu 568$

ASUS PB278q 697$

Dell 2713hm 660$

Viewsonic vp2770  811$

FYI: I have been looking at Korean Ebay sellers but i am not sure if i wanna risk it

then again good arguements towards it could change my opinion but i've done enough research to feel a bit bad about it. 

korean ebay sellers run through the same ebay guidelines american ones do. search for qnix panels. they're nice.