Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the worst tech scam(s) and/or falsely advertised tech product(s) you saw that's being sold legitimately?

11 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Audio grade SSDs and network switches. Those who fall for these things have no idea about the difference of digital and analog

I laughed out loud when I saw those switches advertised! I don't usually laugh out loud, but it just caught me so off-guard that I couldn't help it.

 

It's actually pretty clever, IMHO: many people who would like to think of themselves as audio-experts are not knowledgeable enough to actually understand the low-level details, but may have enough random gear in their homes to need switches, and those kinds of people tend to also be the ones willing shell out ridiculous amounts of money for gear in order to support their self-proclaimed status as an audio-expert -- loads of money to be made, if you just bring the right stuff to the market!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Selling laptops with Intel Celerons/pre-Ryzen AMD CPUs feels borderline criminal. 4GB RAM doesn't help. At least SSDs are quickly becoming the norm even in lowest end. For a more specific example: Selling FHD laptops that struggle to stream FHD video. Sure, there may genuinely be people who just need something for online banking, but for a third of the cost a smart phone works inevitably faster (if sight is an issue: tablet).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

Greetings,

 

Today I wanna ask you about the worst tech scam(s) and/or falsely advertised tech products you've ever seen that's still being (or was) sold legitimately, For me the worst false advertisements that I saw were the AMD FX 8350 and FX 9590 CPUs, these will at best play games like an i3-7100 even though they actually have good on-paper specs and were advertised as good gaming CPUs...

Edit: And another scam I saw that is really annoying is a GTX 1050 Ti scam on wish.com, It's... ugh... already hundreds of people bought that thing, why do people fall for it? Here is the link of the scam is you want to have a good laugh: https://www.wish.com/search/GTX 1080/product/5e5f5a6ab4f2e602bcce1630?&source=search&position=0&share=web

You've found my pet peeve.

 

Counterfeit items are everywhere.

 

Any game console, cartridge or disc that claims to be "n-in-one" or preloaded games, is certainly fake, especially when you see there are no Nintendo trademarks with the NES and SNES keyword spam.

 

Wish.com apparently is where banned-from-ebay counterfeits go to die.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Laptops that use outdated hardware but are in the higher budget range 1000+ €. It is a scam in my eyes because many people are fooled by the price and looks of the device.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tatte said:

Selling laptops with Intel Celerons/pre-Ryzen AMD CPUs feels borderline criminal. 4GB RAM doesn't help. At least SSDs are quickly becoming the norm even in lowest end. For a more specific example: Selling FHD laptops that struggle to stream FHD video. Sure, there may genuinely be people who just need something for online banking, but for a third of the cost a smart phone works inevitably faster (if sight is an issue: tablet).

 

5 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Laptops that use outdated hardware but are in the higher budget range 1000+ €. It is a scam in my eyes because many people are fooled by the price and looks of the device.

Ye well, That type of tech scams is really popular in Egypt, My cousin bought a laptop that seller told him it was a "core 5i" (He didn't even spell core i5 right) and 16 GBs of RAM, so he bought it and after that he found out it's performance is really really REALLY bad, So he came over to my place to ask me what's going on, I simply clicked "properties" for This PC to see it's specs, Turns out it has an i5 450m, 8 GBs of RAM at 800 MHz, no place for SSD or NVMe, has no dedicated GPU, it was running on an intel HD, The poor dude got scammed and paid 700$ for that laptop, and after that he tried to return it and the shop keeper told him that the shop gives no refunds...

 

I am wondering if I should blame him for buying that laptop without testing it or blame myself for not coming with him while he was looking for a laptop to buy 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kisai said:

You've found my pet peeve.

 

Counterfeit items are everywhere.

 

Any game console, cartridge or disc that claims to be "n-in-one" or preloaded games, is certainly fake, especially when you see there are no Nintendo trademarks with the NES and SNES keyword spam.

 

Wish.com apparently is where banned-from-ebay counterfeits go to die.

And why isn't wish.com banned yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the other thread is anything to go by, anything by CompTIA would probably qualify. 

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dizmo said:

Doesn't matter what you consider it, that's not what it is.l

Idk id consider it a scam. Not sure why anyone would say selling a product under false advertising isnt a scam. Its lying to a customer to make them buy.

 

I mean they did lose a class action lawsuit over it as well.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×