Dell Optiplex 7010

BlaezaLite
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
22 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Does the GPU care from where it takes its power from?

Nope, I've got a server that supplies 25 watts max to the PCIe slot, but the additional power draw is taken from 2x6pin power leads from the power supply.

I have a Optiplex 7010 i5 2400, 16gb ddr3 1333mhz and 2x1tb HDDs, GT1030 and dell 80+ 250w tfx psu. My Q77 mobo can only supply 50 watts to pcie so if I got a seperate psu with pcie power could I use that to power the gpu too? I spent far too much time playing consoles to learn this stuff, haha. Also its the DT sff and my other psu is a 300watt Kolink atx with 6 pin pcie. Any gpus with 4GB recommended that are small?

10 minutes ago, BlaezaLite said:

seperate psu with pcie power could I use that to power the gpu too?

Well the question really is how do you plan on powering up and additional power supply?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Umm, lead from the wall? I really am very confused with this.

19 minutes ago, BlaezaLite said:

I have a Optiplex 7010 i5 2400, 16gb ddr3 1333mhz and 2x1tb HDDs, GT1030 and dell 80+ 250w tfx psu. My Q77 mobo can only supply 50 watts to pcie so if I got a seperate psu with pcie power could I use that to power the gpu too? I spent far too much time playing consoles to learn this stuff, haha. Also its the DT sff and my other psu is a 300watt Kolink atx with 6 pin pcie. Any gpus with 4GB recommended that are small?

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Gaming-Overclocked-Graphics/dp/B07QFSR2YH
this is what i use for my optiplex, perfect for BTX boards since its single slot, and its short af so it wont hit any oversized motherboard caps since business pc boards dont think about that stuff.

edit: i didnt see the part where you wanted to connect it just for.. power? are you talking about cross wiring the pc with 2 gpus?

4 minutes ago, BlaezaLite said:

Umm, lead from the wall? I really am very confused with this.

Make sure you quote us so we can see your responses.

An optiplex 7010 is compatible with standard ATX power supplies, you will be able to purchase a cheap PSU like a Corsair CX450 and add any GPU you like, such as an RX 470/570. Of course, if you've got the SFF case, you won't be able to close it, but the motherboard is also standard DTX form factor so it would also fit inside a standard case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I am sorry to hijack this thread a little bit, but the 50 watt instead of normal 75w just made me think...

Does the GPU care from where it takes its power from? As in say that in theory the slot on some MB would not be able to supply any power at all, but the cards maximum power usage would be easily taken from 6/8 pin or whatever, would it work just as good as if you put it in classic 75w slot with the additional 6/8 pin?

Or is there some basic either microcode or hardware architecture that simply has to use the first few watts from the slot and only then take additional power from the extra cables?

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Make sure you quote us so we can see your responses.

An optiplex 7010 is compatible with standard ATX power supplies, you will be able to purchase a cheap PSU like a Corsair CX450 and add any GPU you like, such as an RX 470/570.

Thanks and I'll bare that in mind.

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well the question really is how do you plan on powering up and additional power supply?

47 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Gaming-Overclocked-Graphics/dp/B07QFSR2YH
this is what i use for my optiplex, perfect for BTX boards since its single slot, and its short af so it wont hit any oversized motherboard caps since business pc boards dont think about that stuff.

Thats what I've been thinking about.

22 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Does the GPU care from where it takes its power from?

Nope, I've got a server that supplies 25 watts max to the PCIe slot, but the additional power draw is taken from 2x6pin power leads from the power supply.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I'm very greatful to you all with your fast, helpful and much needed replies. I struggle with some stuff and think myself into a rage, so you have saved me so much stress, I can't thank you all enough.

fyi, the 7010 motherboard has standard power sockets for ATX power supply connection, but be aware that moving the motherboard into a standard case requires some work, as the mATX motherboard uses non-standard jumper for power switch, fans, audio sokets etc.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/987783-optiplex-70109010-front-io-panel-pinout/