Which RX 5700 XT?

Premilix

Which RX 5700 XT is worth picking up?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which RX 5700 XT is worth picking up?

• Gigabyte gaming oc (460€ - 497$)
    • Sapphire pulse (440€ - 475$)
    • ASRock taichi oc (434€ - 469$)
    • Gigabyte aorus (469€ - 507$)

1 hour ago, Hilltrot said:

I never recommended anything.  Read more carefully.  

I quoted you recommending two linked cards which were both RTX 2060 Supers which was your reply to what the OP should get instead. If you were referring to the STRIX version of the 5700XT it's still worse than any of the ones suggested by the OP purely on thermal performance.

Good for you!!!!!!

While the 5700xt may have marginally higher framerates than the 2060 super on a some titles, framerates are not that important to me.  For me, visual effects are for more important.  On my 1080p TV at a framerate limit of 60 Hz, silence and graphical effects are most important.  ATI isn't known for nifty graphical effects and playing Control without RTX would suck.  The Rog Strix actually modifies the reference board to make it better.  OC means that the chips are binned and will run about 10% faster, soundly beating 5700xt reference cards.

Well, I didn't mean to hit a nerve - which clearly I have. But to respond to your comment:

It's well-known that the 5700 XT is faster and better than the RTX 2060 Super.

And that's a recent update ;- on average 9% faster than the RTX 2060 Super at 1080p and 8% faster at 1440p across 36 games. And most, if not all, of these were at ultra/max quality so that addresses your "visual effects" comment. If you want ray-tracing then yes by all means get an RTX 2060 Super, that should really be the only reason to get that card at that price point over the 5700 XT; that and if you want/need to use NVENC. But even so, if that's the case you should really be considering the RTX 2070 (Super) and above realistically. AMD Radeon does have "graphical effects" of its own like Radeon Anti-Lag and so on and it's 2020 update brought more 'tweaking' capabilities on it's Radeon software, although personally I'd rather tweak graphical settings in-game and do any overclocking on MSI Afterburner but that's just me. 'Soundly beating' sounds more like you're buying into Asus sales talk rather than factual information. It's been shown that all the high-end 5700 XT cards clock and perform near-enough the same. This isn't like the RTX/GTX founder edition vs aftermarket models. 

Now if you're looking at raw performance and don't mind the noise, the 2070 Super reference card which come in at a lower price than his Gigabyte aorus (469€ - 507$)  smashes the 5700xt.

Now at the budget level - $350 - the 5700xt kicks Nvidia's butt when it comes to framerate.  However, he was looking at a 2070 Super territory price of $500 which absolutely makes no sense.  Now, I can understand certain use cases for the 5700xt when it comes to pro gaming (low-latency improvements with AMD processors), but for me, and the question was directed at meI would not purchase the 5700xt's he showed.

So, looking at the European (Germany) NVidia store the RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition is 539EUR which is more than any of those high-end 5700 XT cards.

Please remember OP is talking in Euros which means prices are different here in Europe compared to the US - and I'm not talking just currency but also the actual cost of hardware - so you can't compare. That's fair enough but the point of this thread is to help the OP and suggesting to the OP to forego the options they've put forward and opt for a similar priced but inferior performance card and give no reasons for it doesn't really help the OP, from my perspective.

This is about 5700xt cards which have nothing to do with their Nvidia cards.

This same comment can be applied to your comment which I quoted. The conversation about RTX cards was initiated by you.

The overheating problems are due to AMD and ASUS being stupid enough to trust them.

Again, that sounds more like you buying into Asus PR rather than addressing the facts. It also seems weird how only Asus had that problem and none of the other card manufacturers did (Powercolor, Sapphire, Gigabyte and etc.).

And that was after they "fixed" the initial problem.

Regardless of who's fault it is, the models suggested by the OP in the poll all perform better than the STRIX model. There's also a LTT GPU cooler tier list that shows this:

The video you quoted from LTT on why you shouldn't buy the 5700 XT yet was released ~9 months ago. The drivers have matured appreciably since then and many of the issues have been fixed. I can speak for myself when I say I haven't had any issues since I've had my card (4 months now). 

More Asus PR, not a trustworthy source as shown by their leaked X570 motherboard propaganda.

And should I mention ATI drivers?

Already answered above.

4 hours ago, Triboal said:

I quoted you recommending two linked cards which were both RTX 2060 Supers which was your reply to what the OP should get instead. If you were referring to the STRIX version of the 5700XT it's still worse than any of the ones suggested by the OP purely on thermal performance.

Should I even bother helping you with English?  I'm not sure if you can't or don't want to read.

This is the question he asks, "Which RX 5700 XT is worth picking up?"

He's rather desperate for opinions, so he even bumps it.

I respond with NotA.

He asks "What card then?"  So this refers to the previous question, "What card is worth picking up?"

So, once again he's not referring to himself or special use case.  So, for me I gave him the card that I would pick up.

That's not a recommendation.

If he said, "I have x monitor and y situation, what should I use?" and I told him he should buy z, that would be a recommendation.  The question was directed at me for my opinion on what I would consider worth picking up.

Well, I didn't mean to hit a nerve - which clearly I have.

You're making up more stuff.  Stop imagining things.

But to respond to your comment:

It's well-known that the 5700 XT is faster and better than the RTX 2060 Super.

Whenever someone has to use phrases like "It's well-known", it means they have their own truth.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060S-Super-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/4049vs4045

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-Review-Known-issues-of-the-reference-design.428218.0.html

Regardless, if you actually read my post you would know that 10% faster FPS is irrelevant to me.  It reminds me of the time when someone asked me how many MHz my processor was.

The video you quoted from LTT on why you shouldn't buy the 5700 XT yet was released ~9 months ago. The drivers have matured appreciably since then and many of the issues have been fixed. I can speak for myself when I say I haven't had any issues since I've had my card (4 months now). 

Once again, you have basic comprehension problems.  The problem LTT was mentioning was not driver-related.  Driver problems crept up again as early as February this year.  BitWit even had to stop recommending the ATI cards for a very short time this year.

More Asus PR, not a trustworthy source as shown by their leaked X570 motherboard propaganda.

Down the rabbit-hole you go.

Please remember OP is talking in Euros which means prices are different here in Europe compared to the US

He quoted Euros and dollars.  If he wanted to just talk Euros he should have said so.  I did not hide the fact that I was making a U.S. based opinion.

5 hours ago, Hilltrot said:

I never recommended anything.  Read more carefully.  

Good for you!!!!!!

While the 5700xt may have marginally higher framerates than the 2060 super on a some titles, framerates are not that important to me.  For me, visual effects are for more important.  On my 1080p TV at a framerate limit of 60 Hz, silence and graphical effects are most important.  ATI isn't known for nifty graphical effects and playing Control without RTX would suck.  The Rog Strix actually modifies the reference board to make it better.  OC means that the chips are binned and will run about 10% faster, soundly beating 5700xt reference cards.

Now if you're looking at raw performance and don't mind the noise, the 2070 Super reference card which come in at a lower price than his Gigabyte aorus (469€ - 507$)  smashes the 5700xt.

Now at the budget level - $350 - the 5700xt kicks Nvidia's butt when it comes to framerate.  However, he was looking at a 2070 Super territory price of $500 which absolutely makes no sense.  Now, I can understand certain use cases for the 5700xt when it comes to pro gaming (low-latency improvements with AMD processors), but for me, and the question was directed at meI would not purchase the 5700xt's he showed.

This is about 5700xt cards which have nothing to do with their Nvidia cards.

The overheating problems are due to AMD and ASUS being stupid enough to trust them.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/notice-thermal-performance-and-cooler-mounting-pressure-for-rog-strix-radeon-rx-5700-series-graphics-cards/

And should I mention ATI drivers?

Hey! Thanks for the detailed answer. For me it's the other way around - I don't really mind the graphics but I want more fps. The rtx 2060 super in my country is priced very close to the rx 5700 xt, so I don't really think that would be a good option. The rtx 2070 super is also much higher than the rx 5700 xt's in the price range of 550€ (almost 600$). So that is why I am focusing on mostly the rx 5700 xt. And about the drivers, I know they are pretty bad but I'm hoping that they get better as time passes. 

Just now, Premilix said:

Hey! Thanks for the detailed answer. For me it's the other way around - I don't really mind the graphics but I want more fps. The rtx 2060 super in my country is priced very close to the rx 5700 xt, so I don't really think that would be a good option. The rtx 2070 super is also much higher than the rx 5700 xt's in the price range of 550€ (almost 600$). So that is why I am focusing on mostly the rx 5700 xt. And about the drivers, I know they are pretty bad but I'm hoping that they get better as time passes. 

If you want FPS, I would definitely recommend the 5700 XT.  Your prices seem high as $350 - $400 is what I would want to pay for a 5700 XT, but you might be including a 20% VAT or something like that.  In the U.S., prices are quoted without taxes.

From what I have heard AMD is improving their drivers. 

My opinion is that anything under a 2080 for the purposes of using RTRT is a waste.

They should never have included insufficient hardware in these cards and forced consumers to pay for these features that barely work just to promote their technology.

The 5700 xt is superior in pretty much every way to the 2060 Super outside of the NVENC encoder, or unless DLSS 2.0 magically becomes standard on all titles (it's not). And its much cheaper than the 2070 super, but not much slower.

RTRT is a fine technology, but it has its place. And that place is not in a GPU that can't use the technology at a framerate befitting a $500 GPU.

I also believe the "driver issue" is way overblown. Not only have most of these tech youtube channels not experienced these issues, I haven't either.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

If you want FPS, I would definitely recommend the 5700 XT.  Your prices seem high as $350 - $400 is what I would want to pay for a 5700 XT, but you might be including a 20% VAT or something like that.  In the U.S., prices are quoted without taxes.

From what I have heard AMD is improving their drivers. 

Yeah, I know. Video cards in my country are priced pretty high for some reason. Though that is the final price, vat is already included in the prices. 

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

My opinion is that anything under a 2080 for the purposes of using RTRT is a waste.

They should never have included insufficient hardware in these cards and forced consumers to pay for these features that barely work just to promote their technology.

The 5700 xt is superior in pretty much every way to the 2060 Super outside of the NVENC encoder, or unless DLSS 2.0 magically becomes standard on all titles (it's not). And its much cheaper than the 2070 super, but not much slower.

RTRT is a fine technology, but it has its place. And that place is not in a GPU that can't use the technology at a framerate befitting a $500 GPU.

Alright. Good to know!

13 minutes ago, Premilix said:

Alright. Good to know!

Also, on the subject of image quality, AMD has a feature called Radeon Image Sharpening, which is a postprocess that sharpens image for better quality. It's superior to DLSS in image quality, and it also does not have the negative performance impact that nVidia Freestyle (similar technology) does. On top of that, this feature is pretty much universal, whereas DLSS/Freestyle needs individual game support.

I use RIS on 100% all the time. It helps my 1440p images look great, and when I decide to drop down to 1080p for higher framerate, the post processing helps games look weird while at a non-native resolution. And all of this basically costs nearly imperceptible resources. About 1-2% loss in framerate.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Aorus is the best of them.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Also, on the subject of image quality, AMD has a feature called Radeon Image Sharpening, which is a postprocess that sharpens image for better quality. It's superior to DLSS in image quality, and it also does not have the negative performance impact that nVidia Freestyle (similar technology) does. On top of that, this feature is pretty much universal, whereas DLSS/Freestyle needs individual game support.

I use RIS on 100% all the time. It helps my 1440p images look great, and when I decide to drop down to 1080p for higher framerate, the post processing helps games look weird while at a non-native resolution. And all of this basically costs nearly imperceptible resources. About 1-2% loss in framerate.

Well then I'm definitely getting an rx 5700 xt. 

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I turned it off, sucks in all but 1 game - Dark Souls remaster.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

1 minute ago, GreyestGoat said:

I turned it off, sucks in all but 1 game - Dark Souls remaster.

To each their own. It works great for me in a lot of games that have weirdly scaled UIs, and especially when you are playing at a resolution that is lower than the native resolution of your display.

I'm also the guy that turns sharpness on maximum on every display I ever buy. On my ASUS displays, they have a VividPixel feature which increases sharpness. I have those on maximum as well 🤣

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

To each their own. It works great for me in a lot of games that have weirdly scaled UIs, and especially when you are playing at a resolution that is lower than the native resolution of your display.

I'm also the guy that turns sharpness on maximum on every display I ever buy. On my ASUS displays, they have a VividPixel feature which increases sharpness. I have those on maximum as well 🤣

Creates over saturated image... ghosting and outlines, but we all have different eyes lol.

4 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Creates over saturated image... ghosting and outlines, but we all have different eyes lol.

I don't see the ghosting at all. Maybe it's a display thing? Images to me appear blurry without it.

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

I don't see the ghosting at all. Maybe it's a display thing? Images to me appear blurry without it.

Could be.

I run a 1080P 75hz IPS.

I want to upgrade, i normally just downsample my games to take full use of my 5700-XT and still exceed my refresh easily.

Just now, GreyestGoat said:

Could be.

I run a 1080P 75hz IPS.

I want to upgrade, i normally just downsample my games to take full use of my 5700-Xt and still exceed my refresh easily.

I'm using a 1440p 144hz TN - colors aren't amazing, nor are black levels, nor are viewing angles, but response time is great and there's really no ghosting at all. I guess that's one of the benefits of the cheaper TN panels.

why no powercolor? I have one and it amazing so far

@Hilltrot let's just agree to disagree because I'm not going to bother breaking down your comment step by step again just to reiterate the same points. And the dollar quotation is the OP converting straight from Euros to Dollars - the original price of the products is in Euros.

4 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

I also believe the "driver issue" is way overblown. Not only have most of these tech youtube channels not experienced these issues, I haven't either.

4 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

These comments by MisterWoof (which I agree with as well and pretty much ties with what I had said in my previous comment) pretty much answer what you've said.

Back to the OP: can I ask where you're buying from and if you can shop for any deals where you are? I would still say that the Aorus, Gaming OC, Red Devil, Nitro+ and Pulse are all great cards and you can't go wrong with any of them really. 

1 hour ago, Triboal said:

@Hilltrot let's just agree to disagree because I'm not going to bother breaking down your comment step by step again just to reiterate the same points. And the dollar quotation is the OP converting straight from Euros to Dollars - the original price of the products is in Euros.

These comments by MisterWoof (which I agree with as well and pretty much ties with what I had said in my previous comment) pretty much answer what you've said.

Back to the OP: can I ask where you're buying from and if you can shop for any deals where you are? I would still say that the Aorus, Gaming OC, Red Devil, Nitro+ and Pulse are all great cards and you can't go wrong with any of them really. 

I'm in Lithuania and I use kainos.lt to find the lowest prices. All of them but the red devil are in stock so yeah. I guess I'll just get the one with the lowest price. 

3 hours ago, zorkol said:

why no powercolor? I have one and it amazing so far

Because there currently aren't any in stock where I live. 

On 4/22/2020 at 11:09 PM, Premilix said:

All the prices are final, so no extra money for taxes or stuff like that. 

Alright so I decided to wait for either the gigabyte gaming oc, gigabyte aorus, powercolor red devil or sapphire pulse/nitro+ to go in sale and get one of those. Thanks to everyone who helped!