Buying a 5700XT and risking driver issues or getting 2070 Super

ftahir192

I've returned my current Gigabyte windforce 2070 super card due to horrible fan issues.

I now have my mind set on either:

1) Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT special Edition (~£450) - 3 year warranty vs the red devil's 2, better customer support from what I can see - the extra £20 is justifiable I think, plus comes with 3 ARGB fans which sell for £30 alone.

2) PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT (£420-£430)  - poorer VRAM cooling and little more noise but can likely overclock better due to more VRM's

3) MSI 2070 Super Gaming X Trio (£570~) - every reviewer says this is the quietest 2070 super with great cooling so hopefully don't have the fan issues the gigabyte had.

I'm quite set on the Sapphire Nitro+ for £120 less, but the thing that concerns me the most is driver issues. I know that the 2070 Super just works. If I spend 20+ hours working out driver issues, that £120 premium suddenly doesn't seem so bad given the slightly better performance also. If I were paying £120 ONLY for performance, the 5700xt would be a no brainer, but I also do need to factor in technical support time.

Does anybody still suffer from any issues after the AMD 20.2.2. drivers?

Furthermore, is it likely we'll see even better performance from the 5700 XT as the drivers improve, possibly closing the gap between the 5700XT and 2070 Super?

I've never owned an AMD card so am not sure what to expect at all, and would really like to make an informed decision here.

Edit: 5700 xt currently has a promotion whereby I get resident evil 3, monster hunter and 3 months of games pass so thats what? £80?

We have similar threads asking this every couple of days. Drivers have been fine for quite a while.

Last week I purchased the 5700 XT Saphire Pulse Edition.

So far I haven't really had a lot of problems. I upgraded from a R9 270, and had a 300% increase in FPS in the Shadow of the Tomb Raiders Benchmark.

It's a great card. The only issues I've had with the AMD Adrenaline driver is when using features like Anti-Lag etc. They're still pretty experimental and caused frequent micro stutters for me. If you ever experience anything like that, you should check which AMD settings you have activated.

One of the big reason's I went for the 5700XT is because in Europe, the Saphire Pulse edition only cost 390 Euro's. The AMD interface is 1000 times better than NVIDIA's in my opinion as well. You can overclock, show any gpu or cpu stats as an overlay in game, and tweak game settings. 

Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase and would recommend this card, especially since a lot of the driver issues have been fixed in the newest update.

Just now, Dappner said:

So far I haven't really had a lot of problems. I upgraded from a R9 270, and had a 300% increase in FPS in the Shadow of the Tomb Raiders Benchmark.

It's a great card. The only issues I've had with the AMD Adrenaline driver is when using features like Anti-Lag etc. They're still pretty experimental and caused frequent micro stutters for me. If you ever experience anything like that, you should check which AMD settings you have activated.

One of the big reason's I went for the 5700XT is because in Europe, the Saphire Pulse edition only cost 390 Euro's. The AMD interface is 1000 times better than NVIDIA's in my opinion as well. You can overclock, show any gpu or cpu stats as an overlay in game, and tweak game settings. 

Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase and would recommend this card, especially since a lot of the driver issues have been fixed in the newest update.

Don't you love the Windows XP-era control panel /s :D :D
image.png.ccface0a43feaa145ba3528abe1d5181.png

Just now, Dappner said:

Thanks for your reply, that's helpful. Was Anti-lag the only culprit in settings or are there others I should be careful about?

Do you use freesync or multiple monitors with different refresh rates? I've heard this can be iffy and can't seem to find many reports with the latest drivers.

6 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

Thanks for your reply, that's helpful. Was Anti-lag the only culprit in settings or are there others I should be careful about?

Do you use freesync or multiple monitors with different refresh rates? I've heard this can be iffy and can't seem to find many reports with the latest drivers.

Anti Lag was the only thing where I encountered problems. I don't really use a lot of those in-game features, as I don't see the necessity. 

I only have one 1080p 60Hz monitor, and am looking to buy a 1440p or 1080p 120Hz monitor soon.

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Don't you love the Windows XP-era control panel /s :D :D
image.png.ccface0a43feaa145ba3528abe1d5181.png

It's pretty bad. Reminds me of the old computer my grandpa used to own.

1 hour ago, Dappner said:

It's pretty bad. Reminds me of the old computer my grandpa used to own.

And crashes like my Windows 98 Pentium PC from 2000 :D

-= Locked for Moderation =-

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Contributing comments to the topic at hand is preferable, arguments not so much.

-= Topic Re-opened =-

Further derailment may incur ... something.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER