ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming stuck at q-code 90

rayyu882

Hi everyone,

I recently got the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard with 3900x, it was running well for a while but suddenly this morning, it started to be stuck at q-code 90 (Boot Device Selection (BDS) phase is started), does anyone know how to fix this? I have tried turn off my PSU, unplugged my PSU and restart, nothing worked. Much appreciate it if someone can help!

clear cmos, it will reset bios. or bios flash

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

18 minutes ago, rayyu882 said:

Hi everyone,

I recently got the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard with 3900x, it was running well for a while but suddenly this morning, it started to be stuck at q-code 90 (Boot Device Selection (BDS) phase is started), does anyone know how to fix this? I have tried turn off my PSU, unplugged my PSU and restart, nothing worked. Much appreciate it if someone can help!

Can you make it to the post screen?

15 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

clear cmos, it will reset bios. or bios flash

I tried clear CMOS RTC RAM data, that didn't help. I did the manual suggested short the CLRTC jumper and remove the onboard battery, still the same stuck at q-code 90 after restart.

3 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Can you make it to the post screen?

Before I can, but after getting q-code 90, I no longer make it to post.

1 minute ago, rayyu882 said:

Before I can, but after getting q-code 90, I no longer make it to post.

Your board has a bios flashback option.  Have you tried that yet?

I've read that sometimes that code comes up from a bad wakeup from sleep mode and the solution is to turn of the computer and power supply, disconnect and turn it back on.

4 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Your board has a bios flashback option.  Have you tried that yet?

Just did the BIOS Flashback, restart, and still stuck at g-code 90. 😭

Just now, rayyu882 said:

Just did the BIOS Flashback, restart, and still stuck at g-code 90. 😭

Well if you've done the power done and power up, I would call ASUS.  Sorry to hear the trouble.  I have the same board myself.  I updated the Bios as soon as I got windows up and running.  I do not know how to help you.

Just now, Hilltrot said:

Well if you've done the power done and power up, I would call ASUS.  Sorry to hear the trouble.  I have the same board myself.  I updated the Bios as soon as I got windows up and running.  I do not know how to help you.

Thank you for your help, you already did a lot there. I will reach out to ASUS and update this post. Search online there weren't any good news about g-code 90. I would hate to have to sent the board back and get a replacement.

Have you tried removing everything other than what is absolutely needed in an attempt to isolate the cause?  Remove everything except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.  After removing any unnecessary items, then try to reboot to see if you still receive the error.  Make sure that you don't have any overclocks trying to run.  Just want to remove anything other than what is absolutely needed in an attempt to isolate the problem.  If it runs after all this, then something you removed is the problem.  First thing to do after "hopefully" getting the system to start is to check for a BIOS update.

2 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Have you tried removing everything other than what is absolutely needed in an attempt to isolate the cause?  Remove everything except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.  After removing any unnecessary items, then try to reboot to see if you still receive the error.  Make sure that you don't have any overclocks trying to run.  Just want to remove anything other than what is absolutely needed in an attempt to isolate the problem.  If it runs after all this, then something you removed is the problem.  First thing to do after "hopefully" getting the system to start is to check for a BIOS update.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have been running the absolute minimum items already, nothing else I can take out unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, everyone,
I have exactly the same problem.

My system:
Power supply: DARK POWER PRO 11 650W 
RAM: Corsair 32 GB 3000 CL15 CMK32GX4M2B3000C15
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon RX580
CPU: AMD Ryzen7 3700X

Error code 90 White LED lights up
Initial installation no booting possible. 
No post-screen, the screen remains black. 
Code 90 is displayed on the board and the white LED is permanently lit. 
All fans are running.

What have I done so far:
Replaced the memory several times. Tested different RAM in different banks.
Tried different graphics cards (ati radeon 5850) and different slots, all without success.

I'm already in contact with the ASUS support. Very helpful but no real idea yet... except the usual tips... Take it off the network, swap memory, ...

Guys, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

On 5/2/2020 at 1:35 PM, thezico said:

Hello, everyone,
I have exactly the same problem.

My system:
Power supply: DARK POWER PRO 11 650W 
RAM: Corsair 32 GB 3000 CL15 CMK32GX4M2B3000C15
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon RX580
CPU: AMD Ryzen7 3700X

Error code 90 White LED lights up
Initial installation no booting possible. 
No post-screen, the screen remains black. 
Code 90 is displayed on the board and the white LED is permanently lit. 
All fans are running.

What have I done so far:
Replaced the memory several times. Tested different RAM in different banks.
Tried different graphics cards (ati radeon 5850) and different slots, all without success.

I'm already in contact with the ASUS support. Very helpful but no real idea yet... except the usual tips... Take it off the network, swap memory, ...

Thanks!

White LED means VGA issue from the manual, however I'm not sure what you will need to do to correct it.

I ended up returned my ASUS MB and the 3900x, I don't have a rush to buy a replacement but I will get something ultimately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 1:35 PM, thezico said:

Thanks!

Not sure if you ever get around to fix your issue, one thing I can suggest is change your video connection that you were using to something else and see if you can get it to boot again. Say you are using DVI, switch to HDMI, etc.

• 5 months later...

have you solved your issue ? what was the issue ? i have same problem !

What happens if you disconnect your SSD/HDD and just try to boot to BIOS without a boot device?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same porblem...

No freaking solution.. defective boards.. very dissapointed in ASUS

I believe my issue was related to my video card, since white debug LED is pointing at video, which is why I suggested to switch display connection and see if the issue get resolved or not.

I no longer has this MB, I returned it and got the MSI x570 MEG Unify. Unfortunately I didn't find out about the white LED until after I returned the board.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. I am planning on getting an ASUS ROG Strix x570 E- Gaming. After reading this thread, I became a bit skeptical. 

If you are or were the owner of that MoBo, do you recommend it? 

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I had the same issiu with same set up. The problem is the CPU! I dont know why but i replaced it and it worked find. It is not the Mob and not the GPU!

BR

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue now after flashing the bios. I had a working system but got infected by a virus, so I decided to flash the bios before installing a fresh copy of windows 11. After I flashed the bios I managed to post but I did not enter bios, after that I could not post anymore, I am stuck at q-code 90 and white led :((( 

Any ideas guys? It's 2 years old PC and I didn't have any problems until flashing the bios...

Edit: I fixed it by flashing it with the same version of bios that was previously installed - 4021