Is there a wifi extender with an ethernet input?

toobladink

I am looking to solve a wireless connection issue in our house. We need to get wifi in a certain area pretty bad, and the only solution I can think of is a wifi extender that takes an ethernet input. However, most of the ones I'm finding online are ethernet outputs. Does a product like this exist? Or am I SOL?

We have a budget of like $50, but any product suggestions are welcome. However, we are not looking for something that supports "the fastest connection known to man," just something that can support video livestreams (like zoom calls).

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

I am confused why you need a ethernet input. If its extending the range, it connects to your wifi and amplifies the signal. so if you get 1/4 range in your bedroom, do not put the extender in the room. put it outside slightly nearer to the main router so it gets like 2/4 bars signal. When it amplifies it, you get coverage to your room. 

Will you be running a cable to it ? 

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, toobladink said:

I am looking to solve a wireless connection issue in our house. We need to get wifi in a certain area pretty bad, and the only solution I can think of is a wifi extender that takes an ethernet input. However, most of the ones I'm finding online are ethernet outputs. Does a product like this exist? Or am I SOL?

We have a budget of like $50, but any product suggestions are welcome. However, we are not looking for something that supports "the fastest connection known to man," just something that can support video livestreams (like zoom calls).

Those Wi-Fi extenders tend to suck. They lower your overall performance and tend to drop the signal a lot. If possible, this is what I recommend instead. You'll also need a pair of ethernet cables.

Basically, you plug one in to the wall by your router (and also connect it with a cable), then the other in the room you need Internet access.

If you have another old wireless router, you could even plug that into the receiver and set up a second network.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, toobladink said:

the only solution I can think of is a wifi extender that takes an ethernet input. However, most of the ones I'm finding online are ethernet outputs

Ummmmmmm Ethernet is bidirectional.

What model were you looking at, are you simply looking to add wireless capability to a wired host?

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

25 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Those Wi-Fi extenders tend to suck. They lower your overall performance and tend to drop the signal a lot. If possible, this is what I recommend instead. You'll also need a pair of ethernet cables.

Basically, you plug one in to the wall by your router (and also connect it with a cable), then the other in the room you need Internet access.

If you have another old wireless router, you could even plug that into the receiver and set up a second network.

Basically a way for his devices to connect to the internet wirelessly via a wired network, in other words he needs a wireless access point. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

7 minutes ago, louisssss said:

range extenders all suck. constant disconnects. can't rely on them...

Especially the power line adapters, they suck burnt koala penis.  

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

5 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Especially the power line adapters, they suck burnt koala penis.  

If you think that, then why did you agree with my post?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

If you think that, then why did you agree with my post?

🤷‍♂️ Well it sounded more like you were speaking of an actual wireless access point someone can use to connect their wireless devices to wired networks. I guess I'm too punch drunk to notice right now. 😶

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

For everyone wondering why I need an ethernet input or something - my house is a little weird. We have the router in the center, but there's a hallway that goes out to our garage that is definitely not up to code. There are two metal doors that we have closed during the winter months. To get a good signal, the two roommates that lived out there would just open up the doors. It would go from like 5mb/s with ridiculous packet loss to about 50 mb/s.

16 hours ago, Saksham said:

I am confused why you need a ethernet input. If its extending the range, it connects to your wifi and amplifies the signal. so if you get 1/4 range in your bedroom, do not put the extender in the room. put it outside slightly nearer to the main router so it gets like 2/4 bars signal. When it amplifies it, you get coverage to your room. 

I understand extender placement - but like I said, the layout is weird. Imagine having a garage detached from your house and you need wifi in there for video calls. That's basically what my situation is.

Okay so I guess I'm basically looking for a second router. The easiest way for me to do this (and hopefully the most affordable) is to connect something from my router, as it is quite far from my modem. The modem is basically forced to be in the basement because of the way it was wired (super short) and our basement is a glorified dungeon made for people who are 4 ft tall - basically just gross as hell. So, we have like a 50 ft cat6 cable going into the router from the modem and it's placed in the center of the actual house itself.

Now imagine I want to get wifi in my garage. I was imagining buying an extender, which we already have placed in the living room to help give a better connection upstairs, and this thing (https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Extender-Repeater-RE6300/dp/B015Z3OD22/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=linksys+re6300&qid=1587406011&s=electronics&sr=1-2) works great for that. But it wants to boost only a wireless signal - if we plug it into the router, the signal is just as bad, making me think that it wants to only boost a wireless signal. Having it boost a wireless signal is not an option, there is not an outlet in a good spot that allows for this.

I would prefer to keep budget as small as possible. I really don't need anything more than 50mb/s down or something. Thanks for all the input so far!

15 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Funny you mention a second router - the old tenants left one. We just haven't found a way to use it yet. The solution you posted seems to be outside my budget a little bit, but can you help me understand how I could set up a second network? Do you have any guides? The best option would be to plug it into our current router, but we've tried that and our router doesn't really like having a router plugged into an "output" on it. But we do know it works because we had it hooked up to our modem previously and we were using that for a week or so.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

you need a router that supports the AP mode. Most newer ones do. anything >$30 which is a recent model (after 2016) should be able to support AP mode.