Is a VPN really useful when Working from home?

Due to the ongoing crisis I have been working from home. I read on several places online where they suggested to use a VPN. I was wondering if its really necessary to do so or should I access the internet like I always did? I am working on content writing so not sure if I need the extra security.

Use of VPN when working from home relates to when you need to connect to your employer's company servers to do stuff on them, you'll connect to the company VPN to join their network. Nothing to do with your private internet connection.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

41 minutes ago, Aaliyah Reynolds said:

Due to the ongoing crisis I have been working from home. I read on several places online where they suggested to use a VPN. I was wondering if its really necessary to do so or should I access the internet like I always did? I am working on content writing so not sure if I need the extra security.

I think there is a misconception here, you are not using the classic "privacy-friendly VPN" that someone sells

When working from home you are supposed to access the company resources through their own VPN server without opening any useless resource to the internet 

46 minutes ago, Aaliyah Reynolds said:

You should be using your company's VPN server to access resources on your company's private network, if that is required to do your work. None of the VPN services on the internet can accomplish that (or should be able to accomplish that).

That is the primary purpose of a VPN: It creates a Virtual Private Network, that makes it so your computer is connected to your company's internal network as if your computer was directly connected to it. That let's you access resources on the internal network of your company.

The whole "VPN services for privacy" are not and should not be involved here, since that would mean they get access to your company's data, which I don't think your company would want to happen.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks a lot everyone for answering! My confusion is solved now! So apparently I don't need a third-party VPN and should be using one that my company provides (if they do of course). Using a third-party VPN isn't essential and may actually prove harmful. Really helpful community! :)

6 hours ago, Aaliyah Reynolds said:

Thanks a lot everyone for answering! My confusion is solved now! So apparently I don't need a third-party VPN and should be using one that my company provides (if they do of course). Using a third-party VPN isn't essential and may actually prove harmful. Really helpful community! :)

Correct - if your company requires connecting to their VPN to access things on the internal network, you would use the VPN provided by your company. Your office IT department should have given you all the computer hardware + login information needed to work from home.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, kirashi said:

Correct - if your company requires connecting to their VPN to access things on the internal network, you would use the VPN provided by your company. Your office IT department should have given you all the computer hardware + login information needed to work from home.

Yes, they did give me the hardware but there was no mention of a VPN. I was reading online about a VPN so I got concerned.