Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The three major HDD manufacturers are selling slower drives, without telling us

41 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I don't know about Portugal, but in the US you would only have a case if you actually bought one of the products thinking it was a different product.

And even then, it's a false advertising case and you would have to prove that it caused you harm. Beyond that, to get a lawyer to do it you would have to have a case that makes the value of that harm greater than $10,000 USD, otherwise it's just a small claims court thing...

The maximum amount of settlement you can get in small claims courts in the SSA will vary vastly from State to State. However, it is possible to file consumer fraud claims with the appropriate State Attorney General's Office.

I have successfully done so in the past when a software developer was selling softer CDs with buggy earlier versions of the software without disclosing the CDs they were selling did not have the current, updated version of the software on them and a download would be necessry to bring the software up to date (this was way back when I was on dialup and downloading the massively sized software was nearly impossible). My settlement was only the $10 I spent for the CD but my real goal was to force the manufacturer to acknowledge that their CDs were not the latest version. Although the developer never admitted fault, they did "voluntarily" clean up their act from then on.

I don't have a dog in this fight otherwise I would be doing this.

41 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

...My recommendation would be a boycott: Just don't buy any hard drives from those manufacturers. If enough people do that, then they'll start identifying them so they can start getting customers again.

I stopped buying HDDs several years ago although for considerably different reasons. Still, this latest fiasco with HDDs makes me even more glad I took the plunge and went all SSD.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

37 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

My recommendation would be a boycott: Just don't buy any hard drives from those manufacturers. If enough people do that, then they'll start identifying them so they can start getting customers again.

Who are you meant to buy HDDs from if not Seagate, WD, and Toshiba?

Some people are going to say "Buy all SSDs!" but HDDs still have their place thanks to their high capacity/cost.

Hopefully one manufacturer adds it to the product data sheet and then the rest follow.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No one until they fix the issue. That's how boycotts work...

One could be more selective thought: Since apparently lists of SMR drives exist, we could just avoid those altogether.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

31 minutes ago, Spotty said:

HGST (yea I consider those products different to WD), plus you could also go up a product range from all 3 of those companies which are all PMR only but you'd end up paying more than the product ranges in question pre DM-SMR.

Just now, leadeater said:

HGST

Western Digital (who owned HGST) phased the HGST brand out a few years ago. HGST no longer exists.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

plus you could also go up a product range from all 3 of those companies which are all PMR only

But I don't know which ones are SMR and PMR! That's the problem the boycot is supposedly over.

The problem isn't SMR drives existing. I think they have a place as low cost bulk storage drives. I don't have any problem with WD/Seagate/Toshiba selling SMR drives. I just want them to list if it's PMR or SMR in the data sheet.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Western Digital (who owned HGST) phased the HGST brand out a few years ago. HGST no longer exists.

But I don't know which ones are SMR and PMR! That's the problem the boycot is supposedly over.

The problem isn't SMR drives existing. I think they have a place as low cost bulk storage drives. I don't have any problem with WD/Seagate/Toshiba selling SMR drives. I just want them to list if it's PMR or SMR in the data sheet.

Kinda sad that they phased out HGST.  When I went to get a new platter drive back in like 2017-2018 I went to check that site that does the drive reliability testing, and at the time HGST and Toshiba had the lowest failure rates with WD and Seagate having the highest.   Was considering comparing the prices between an 8TB Toshiba and an HGST, but now I'll just get one of the two Toshiba's I'm looking at.   The N300, or pay 12 bucks more, and get an enterprise drive which has 256mbs of cache.

Gaming Rig/Workstation:

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU  Ryzen 9 3900x(Upping to a 5900x) | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Seagate EXOS Enterprise 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  PowerColor Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Red Devil(Temporary/Getting a 3090)  | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+Vizio 55" Class 4K UHD Quantum Smartcast Smart TV HDR M-Series M55Q8-H1 | Mouse: Glorious Model D- Matte Black  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom+Doom Eternal Giant Mouse Pad | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

College 2-in-1:
Hati(Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05 81X20002US)

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

No one from consumers looks at the version numbers. Not to a point it would seriously matter. We just generally look at series, like "WD Black" or "WD Red". And if there are some notable differences they should be openly disclosed. For example, when I was initially looking at WD UltraStar drives, they stated rather obviously which are classic drives and which are helium filled with HelioSeal designation. But they are all called UltraStar as whole.

I then picked a cheaper 5400RPM Barracuda 8TB because I had doubts that UltraStar HelioSeal drives are as quiet as specs said at 7200RPM, despite helium. Silence was my top priority. I think I found out it's SMR from Geizhals itself since I was looking for them there, because Seagate page didn't mention it at all. But it didn't bother me and I was fine with it because the drive is meant for hoarding. It's still fast enough and used as individual drive doing reads mostly. I was educated because I was buying new HDD after some 10 years and figured things have changed a lot and I was also specifically looking for quietest HDD so I had to dig through spec sheets of all of them and didn't care in the end. Who expected them to silently swap recording method within same series without mentioning it? Of course you just buy same series without going into details.

They could just come forth with the info about it on their webpage and also give a headsup to few major tech sites and info would spread like wildfire. Sure some small % would take it negatively, but most would probably accept it as good gesture of being honest and warning people that change has been done and that you have to pay attention to version number in this very specific case. It would literally cost them nothing to send such "article" to tech sites and some small cost for updating the webpage. They've opted not to and now it's the real PR nightmare going on. Where all this could rather easily be avoided. Saying they just didn't know something like this would happen is just BS. They live from designing, manufacturing and selling HDD's. That would be like saying Volkswagen doesn't know how internal combustion engine works. They damn well knew what they were doing.

As an aside, consider a NAS in a different room. 

I can't hear my drives at all and they're annoyingly loud. 

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

Wow, this seems unacceptable. Especially if a drive is sold under the same name and may or may not be affected.

If they are selling drives that operate differently, they should have a different name. Simple as that. Name them WD Red S or WD Yellow-polkadot or whatever.

Manufacturers always try to get away with stuff like this. Just like Nvidia with their lower end GPU's selling less powerful GPU's under the same name.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

...Some people are going to say "Buy all SSDs!" but HDDs still have their place thanks to their high capacity/cost...

Even though I am extreme example of those who have gone all SSD, I agree that solution isn't practical for everyone.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

Name them WD Red S or WD Yellow-polkadot or whatever.

That's for the 2.5" drives.
It was an itsie bitsie teenie weenie yellow polka dot hard drive

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Kinda sad that they phased out HGST.  When I went to get a new platter drive back in like 2017-2018 I went to check that site that does the drive reliability testing, and at the time HGST and Toshiba had the lowest failure rates with WD and Seagate having the highest.   Was considering comparing the prices between an 8TB Toshiba and an HGST, but now I'll just get one of the two Toshiba's I'm looking at.   The N300, or pay 12 bucks more, and get an enterprise drive which has 256mbs of cache.

The HGST products still exist, they are just branded as WD now. But the design of them etc is still all HGST currently.

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

True but as of now the high range products are all PMR only but realistically they cost too much for lower end/home user NAS. Even the smallest step up, to WD Red Pro, is 20% higher cost. Seagate IronWolf and IronWolf Pro are all a higher price than that and it only gets worse from there as you transition out of "Prosumer" and in to actual enterprise products.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

That's for the 2.5" drives.
It was an itsie bitsie teenie weenie yellow polka dot hard drive

that she used for the first time today...

Thank you, as I will now have that song piquing my mind for the rest of the day.

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

And the whole problem literally happened because of this. Do you actually care if drive has EAXF at the end of model number or that it's EEXF ? No, of course not, for RAID you just look if it's of same series (Red) and specs like RPM. This is why this whole controversy and problems even happened in the first place. People looked at the shops, picked WD Red drive based on those specs coz they already had those, stuck them in their NAS or whatever and the thing shit its pants. It's only after all this happened that info came out that "hey, after certain model number, those are actually SMR drives that don't work too well with existing CMR drives". From a 3rd party not vendors themselves! And people who bought a whole new thing from a new batch where they were all SMR's there probably wasn't even a problem where in mixed setups it was. I mean, how often does anyone buys a single WD Red drive for purposes of using it as a single drive? They should've seen this coming and they could avoid it all by just being open about it. People would forget about the fact they are SMR from now on much faster than about not just 1 but ALL the HDD vendors lying about it and hoping they wouldn't get caught. For speeds users would often blame their setups or local problems so I bet they were hoping no one would notice it. Why else they'd be so quiet about it and hiding it everywhere. Hell, you can't even see that from speed specs because they always only state read specs iirc and SMR mostly affects write ones so that also gets hidden within available specs.

The problem occurred because WD released a drive that for whatever reason has not been able to do what they said it would.   It doesn't matter what the technology is inside a product, so long s the product does what it claims on the box.  No one asks or cares what type of fuel injection algorithm a car has or what the main gear of a sewing machine is made from, what they want to know is will it run as expected.   The problem here is not whether the drive has SMR as a listed spec or not, but that the drive is not doing what it is advertised to do.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

12 hours ago, hitardo said:

So that means I can't store and play games on it ?

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

The problem occurred because WD released a drive that for whatever reason has not been able to do what they said it would.   It doesn't matter what the technology is inside a product, so long s the product does what it claims on the box.  No one asks or cares what type of fuel injection algorithm a car has or what the main gear of a sewing machine is made from, what they want to know is will it run as expected.   The problem here is not whether the drive has SMR as a listed spec or not, but that the drive is not doing what it is advertised to do.

I'm pretty sure part of the problem was SMR exactly. When command came in from RAID array to do something, all the other drives were "alright, lets rock on" and SMR drive was like "holup guys, I got to shuffle this shit around"  and then whole thing just shit itself because it's expected that same drives would behave the same at the same time...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

OK. After reading all this comments, I will go and see if I can get myself a 2 TB SSD or M.2 hard drive for my pc.

4 minutes ago, Alen TFG said:

OK. After reading all this comments, I will go and see if I can get myself a 2 TB SSD or M.2 hard drive for my pc.

If you're using a single drive it doesn't even matter. Problem was with RAID arrays because the drive behaved differently than the rest and that caused a problem.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm pretty sure part of the problem was SMR exactly. When command came in from RAID array to do something, all the other drives were "alright, lets rock on" and SMR drive was like "holup guys, I got to shuffle this shit around"  and then whole thing just shit itself because it's expected that same drives would behave the same at the same time...

Kind of but it shouldn't cause a rebuild to actually fail. The RAID system, either software or hardware, controls the I/O and issues the commands so if a disk slows down the other disks won't actually care or need to do anything. Rebuilding will happen at the rate of the slowest piece in the chain, slow doesn't cause failure.

The disks start off in a high performance state and as the PMR zone fills up you then have to start relying on the firmware of the disk to actually work properly and handle that situation. Once the PMR zone is full it should be going in to passthrough or direct write SMR mode which is slow as shit, usually like 30MB/s to 40 MB/s, but stay operational and responding to I/O commands. These WD Reds are not staying operational, they go in to some weird ass pending state and just stop reporting anything at all while it's trying to cleanup the PMR zone, that's not normal. This is why RAID systems have a shit fit because the disk stops responding, that's a firmware issue.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Maybe it was, but if the drive was labelled as a NAS drive then SMR or not it should have worked.   The issue is presenting a product that either couldn't do as advertised or could only do it under very specific conditions (like all drives being exactly the same in that scenario).  Simply labeling the drive as being an SMR drive would not in and of itself have prevented people from buying them and putting them into raid setups because they were labeled as NAS drives.   The only people who should have thought twice about it would maybe have been storage professionals who might be hesitant to put a slower drive into a performance based setup (remember we aren't talking data centre here, most of these drives are destined for prosumer and small scale situations).   We average users have the benefit of hindsight in this, it is only because someone found out the hard way  that there are problems that we even know about it.  

Possible ways to look at it:

WD advertised a NAS drive that doesn't work in all raid settings -> Wd's fault

WD put SMR onto drives knowing it wasn't a good tech for NAS -> WD's fault

WD didn't label NAS drives as SMR not believing it would cause an issue -> sad mistake but WD's responsibility

WD Labels drives as SMR, drives fail in raid for unknown reasons -?WD still has to take responsibility because the drive was advertised as a NAS drive.

WD doesn't label and domestic drive as SMR - > no one notices speed difference because that shit varies too much in real world situations and people are buying cheap mass storage, not fast cheap storage or fast mass storage. 

As far as I am concerned, there is a case for not labeling drives as being SMR, but there is no case for drives not doing as intended.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

51 minutes ago, Alen TFG said:

you'll do just fine on some lines of desktop HDD. toshibas X300 is like a slightly cheaper WD black.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Camera Gear: Canon SL2, 60D, T5, 24-105 F, 50mm F1.4, 75-300 III, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, Alen TFG said:

M.2 hard drive? There is no such thing as an M.2 hard drive. SSDs can be M.2, U.2, or 2.5" form factors. M.2 is an SSD form factor (physical configuration) that can be either SATA or NVMe.

A hard drive (HDD or Hard Disk Drive) is a mechanical drive with moving parts inside. It isn't an SSD (Solid State Drive) which has no moving parts.

Jeannie

My ST2000DM001 uses SMR, and it is just fine in RAID0 with with an ST2000DM006. What I'd be more worried about is having to go into a datasheet to find the cache amount and RPM of a HDD, instead of seeing it clearly on the specifications page. That drive btw came from an external drive (it was hitting over 65oC - enclosure was quite terrible) which has just shy of 1000 days powered on.

Next drive I'm going to be getting though is one targeted at NAS usage, due to the number of HDD in my system (though the other 3.5" is only a 5400RPM F3 - low vibrations from it).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

M.2 hard drive? There is no such thing as an M.2 hard drive. SSDs can be M.2, U.2, or 2.5" form factors. M.2 is an SSD form factor (physical configuration) that can be either SATA or NVMe.

Don't forget 3.5", PCIe AIC, Mini PCIe, and my personal favorite EDSFF (better known as the "Ruler" SSD or E1.L). Also, M.2 is a connector form factor that allows NVMe as well as AHCI over the PCIe bus and is commonly used for things such as  WiFi, Bluetooth, satellite navigation, NFC, WWAN and many others. It is also used as a USB and SATA bus connector.

Note: You probably honestly already know this, as you are extremely active on the forum, so it's more for the less knowledgeable people that are perusing about and come across this.

Unraid seems to have less of an issue with SMR than a standard Raid, Provided the Parity drives are CMR.

At least with Unraid and the Data drives only needing to be accessed for the data on them the drive has idle time to rewrite the tracks.

I did have 4 SMR drives in my Synology NAS and they always had latency issues, others reported the drives dropping out.

CPU | Intel i7-8086K Overclocked 5.4Ghz @ 1.44v | GPU | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Overclocked 2190Mhz | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz |MOTHERBOARD | Asus ROG Maximus X Formula | STORAGE | 2x Samsung EvO 256GB NVME  | COOLING | Hard Line Custom Loop D5 Pump Monsta 480mm Radiator  | MONITOR | Acer Predator X34 | OS | Windows 10

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

They do. Modders/car nuts do. And these things are listed. Sorry.

(Aus too, cos you guys are so great at you car stuff :) )