The three major HDD manufacturers are selling slower drives, without telling us

hitardo
10 hours ago, davide30541 said:

but is this not a software issue? its an hdd that works, only in a way that nas OS are not expecting. they treat these new hdds as broken because they behave differently from the ones in there already. once nas OS is aware that these drives are diferent this will become a non issue? just thinking here. 

No thats not how it works. This is implemented at a hardware level. No amount of software can correct a hardware issue. Do a google for Shingled Magnetic Recording. 

EDIT: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/caveat-emptor-smr-disks-are-being-submarined-into-unexpected-channels/

Worse of all, these manufacturers are not labeling these drives correctly. Both drives mentioned in this article are both 2TB Red drives but only one of them is CMR and the other is SMR... totally unable to tell which is the best one. Someone unsuspecting would purchase the wrong one and discover its incompatible. HDD manufacturers should not be allowed to get away with this.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

First of all, thank you for this amazing write up, it was an incredibly interesting read

Secondly, and just to confirm:

10 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

So don't do that and buy NAS drives if you are going to put them inside a NAS device.

11 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

But we cannot control the use that is given to the unit and for this reason the SMRs do not have a 5-year warranty, the PMRs do. Nobody will guarantee you so many years of guarantee if we were not sure that the unit will last much more than that lapse of time.

So the Ironwolf series do use SMR (due to them having a 3 year warranty) and the Ironwolf Pro do not? or both NAS drives do not use SMR at all?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Nice summary indeed.

47 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

remember. SMR drives are often the least expensive drives available when considering cost per gigabyte. If you are price sensitive, you may believe you are getting a great deal, but you may be buying the wrong disk for your specific use caseFor example, buying SMR drives for your NAS device would be ugly due to all the rewrites that may be involved. So don't do that and buy NAS drives if you are going to put them inside a NAS device.

That's the whole problem discussed here, WD having silently pushed SMR drives into their NAS lineup, on models that are of low enough capacity that SMR isn't required and at the same price as CMR ones. You buy what is supposed to be good for the purpose and get something that isn't. Seagate might not be guilty of this but it's obviously sparking industry-wide scrutiny.

47 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

To me those "solution oriented" marketing guides are worthless when they aren't backed by tech info, i.e. pretty much always. If you don't mention what characteristics you consider appropriate for what use then marketing can then shove any tech into any category as fits the current availability, rather than what actually matters. Of course the tech info should be secondary and not invade the guides for clueless consumers, but should be available. And detailed enough to matter.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

27 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

In that video, he ended up saying that Seagate is the most hated brand by those who are dedicated to data recovery, and I remember that almost immediately the internet was completely full by different versions of the same comment everywhere, people saying that SG is the most hated brand and if you don't believe it, ask any data recovery man, but in many cases, these people just repeat and have never done anything that's close to data recovery.

Just to add to this Seagate has been (one of, but a huge one) the chosen OEM by all the desktop, server and enterprise storage vendors for decades through the use of standard model supply contracts and also custom models with custom firmware to support their offerings. I've been using Seagate disks for as long as I've been able to use a computer.

Of all the desktops I've managed throughout my career Seagate has never been a standout issue or abnormal failure rate, of all the servers and enterprise storage again Seagate has never been a problem and is actually a preferred choice.

There is one instance where there was a bit of a problem long ago with I think it was the ES or ES.2 3TB drives have higher amounts of failures and lots of our clients had these in their NAS's, no data loss ever occurred or array failure due to this issue. Could be wrong on the details, it was around 2010-2012.

I doubt any high volume data recovery firm cares what the specific disks are or has any real opinion on the matter, they will see a lot of Seagate disks just by the nature of the brand being highly common.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Otherwise how do they work out a speed that is actually meaningful to a buyer? 

The same way the same manufacturers have no problem giving them for SSDs?

Everybody gives sequential read, sequential write and IOPS for SSDs. If we had the same numbers for HDDs this discussion wouldn't be happening.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's the whole problem discussed here, WD having pushed SMR drives in their NAS lineup. You buy what is supposed to be good for the purpose and get something that isn't. Seagate might not be guilty of this but it's obviously sparking industry-wide scrutiny.

Well there is an assumption going on that SMR is actually a problem here. All NAS drives sold are designed for that usage regardless of being CMR or SMR. SMR NAS drives have a larger CMR/PMR zone and large caches. If there actually is an issue I would be more inclined to point towards a firmware problem.

If you want to know if a disk is utilizing SMR technology there are tech specs that give it away, and physical but I'll cover that after as it's less reliable.

If you see a disk with 256MB cache, less than 7200 RPM, sustain OD performance less than 200 MB/s then it is most likely a disk using SMR in some form.

image.png.8658232007697ac4dcad426a0df55a34.png

VN0033 likely pure CMR/PMR and VN001 likely CMR/PMR+SMR.

Now if you see an 8TB disk that is half height that is almost certainly an SMR disk.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I get the hatred for the term "upto", but that really isn't the cause of the issue here.  Nor is it blanket get out of jail free card.    There is a specific problem with products of this nature in that manufacturers can't actually tell you how fast the drive will work in your end use conditions, only give you a best case scenario.   Otherwise how do they work out a speed that is actually meaningful to a buyer?  how do they not spec it to look slow when it can perform faster but don't want to invoke legal issues.  you know why we have a bakers dozen right?, it's the same thing with performance metrics.  an "Upto" figure doesn't land them in consumer law issues while any other figure might.   The best they could do is measure ever one's real world performance and advertise it as an average.  But you know how well that would go down.

Except it is a get out of jail free card. Car manufacturers do it all the time. MPG figures are calculated with a just broken in engine, using the highest quality oils they can get, with tyres inflated to pressure at operating temperature, on a rolling road, with optimum air temperatures and no real world conditions. In reality you'll never hit them figures.

A mimimum guarenteed sustained speed would be a far better metric to make available and truely honest.

23 minutes ago, leadeater said:

VN0033 likely pure CMR/PMR and VN001 likely CMR/PMR+SMR.

If I see that chart I'd attribute the slower speed to the VN001 being 5400rpm vs 7200, not to SMR...

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If I see that chart I'd attribute the slower speed to the VN001 being 5400rpm vs 7200, not to SMR...

It's 5400 because it's SMR, like I said it's one of the spec factors that you can look at to know if it is or isn't.

Edit:

You can also just go by weight, but I don't consider physical parameters as accurate and technical ones.

image.png.8a28dd8c2d443636a6c884a9a007524a.png

VN001 is lighter because it has less platters as it's got a higher aerial density. 

"Consumer" drives have always been 5400rpm, but have never been SMR until now...

F@H

GPD Win 2

30 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The same way the same manufacturers have no problem giving them for SSDs?

you mean the upto rating they give them?   That's the same thing.

27 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Except it is a get out of jail free card. Car manufacturers do it all the time. MPG figures are calculated with a just broken in engine, using the highest quality oils they can get, with tyres inflated to pressure at operating temperature, on a rolling road, with optimum air temperatures and no real world conditions. In reality you'll never hit them figures.

A mimimum guarenteed sustained speed would be a far better metric to make available and truely honest.

how do they guarantee a minimum,  if they just pick a low figure then their competition will just bet it by a small number and then they lose sales.  There is no easy way to market these product, be honest and maintain sales.    Like most products, if the marketing was honest no one would buy anything.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

"Consumer" drives have always been 5400rpm, but have never been SMR until now...

Consumer drives have not always been 5400, for the longest time they were 7200. Laptops were the first to widely use 5400. Most of the Seagate Barracuda drives 3TB below are 7200, all WD Black are 7200. WD Blue has 7200 and 5400.

NAS drives, which what we are talking about, come in many different RPM from 7200 to 5900 to 5400 etc.

Also SMR is in more disks than people actually know about and have been for more than a year. Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM005 is from what I can tell SMR and was introduced April 2019.

Yes it can be hard to tell, should it actually matter? No actually. The drives working as designed should have no significant performance differences and definitely should not be getting kicked out of drive arrays. Performance will not cause that either.

Edit:

Would I buy one you might be wondering? No, but I have always made it a habit of reading the spec sheet of any disk I intend to buy and look at every spec and the sub model differences, I've always done this.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Also SMR is in more disks that people actually know about and have been for more than a year.

A year is short, and it's basically what people are finding out now. Until then it was not really a thing apart from specifically labeled archival drives.

Again SMR was always pointed out as being either a cost saving measure or a way to get more capacity. A 2TB 3.5" drive doesn't need SMR for capacity, and from what I can see the SMR variants aren't really cheaper than the CMR variant at retail. So people get less and it's normal they're frustrated.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Consumer drives have not always been 5400, for the longest time they were 7200

In the past 10 years 5400 has been the standard for desktop drives. I remember the pain trying to get 7200rpm ones a few years ago, almost impossible to find any. Only the WD blacks and nobody carried them. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

A year is short, and it's basically what people are finding out now. Until then it was not a thing apart from specifically labeled archival drives.

Again SMR was always pointed out as being either a cost saving measure, a way to get more capacity. A 2TB 3.5" drive doesn't need SMR for capacity, and from what I can see the SMR variants aren't really cheaper than the CMR variant. So people get less and it's normal they're frustrated.

And how long do you think SMR technology has actually been around for? How long do you think it takes for a new technology to get deployed in to a product stack? It isn't some random coincidence that it's been making it's way in to disks at the consumer level since around mid/late 2018.

And of course it's a cost saving measure, it's also primarily and why it got developed a capacity increase measure for enterprise. You really think consumer workloads is a driving factor in HDD development for the last 10 years? No it is not.

A 2TB drive may not need SMR however you're forgetting that a 2TB SMR drive has less platters in it thus Seagate can produce more disk of all sizes if more disks use less platters if they don't need them. So a 2TB drive using SMR allows Seagate to sell more disks without having to increase the production rate of drive platters.

Demand of disks is actually still very high which keeps cost high, there is still a price minimum but disks over 4TB aren't at that but they aren't getting cheaper either because of overall market demand, not for 4TB+ specifically but for disks overall and those need to be manufactured. Seagate would rather put platters in to 16TB high margin enterprise disks than your 2TB or 4TB desktop or mid range NAS disk.

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

In the past 10 years 5400 has been the standard for desktop drives. I remember the pain trying to get 7200rpm ones a few years ago, almost impossible to find any. Only the WD blacks and nobody carried them. 

Only in large capacity ones and that is intentional due to the large number of platters in large disks which puts stress on the motors and bearings and causes failure, the solution to that is to lower the RPM. That is why WD Black for a really long time did not come in larger capacity sizes, PMR/CMR aerial density needed to increase enough to allow it without adding platters. This is why you still cannot buy a WD Black larger than 6TB, and even that is a more recent addition to that product lineup.

Large capacity 7200 RPM disk do exist but those are all high end enterprise drives and come at a price premium.

There are reasons why products have certain specs, generic statements don't fit well. WD product range is much smaller than Seagate and not all suppliers stock all the Seagate models so unless you go checking product range spec sheets you may have no idea there is actually a disk that ticks all the boxes you want.

Guys, I am not against SMR.

And there is space in the market for that

The thing is:

They decreased  the performance of the drives, without (1) telling consumer, and without (2) changing the product name / branding / family.

I reiterate: the main goals of these OEMs - maybe in conjunction - is to:

a) Cheap out on production costs;

b) Enlarge to the difference between the non-Pro and the Pro version, in order to force SOHO and enthusiast users to buy the more expensive Pro versions.

Moreover, this is greatly complicated when people have RAIDs already implemented.

What are you supposed to do?!

Change your entire RAID, and buy all new HDDs?

This is not acceptable, especially because of the two reasons I stated on the second paragraph.

Always willing to help :)

From Portugal with love.

16 hours ago, mr moose said:

I'm not sure I see a problem here,  Every time I buy a new hard drive (about 1 year on average) I don't assume the one I am getting is identical to one I bought a year or 3 ago.  Technologies and manufacturing processes change.  if you buy an i7 you wouldn't assume it was the same as last gens i7 would you?

Processors change series (or generation).

This way, you have a way to tell the difference.

HDD have families, but not generations.

This is wrong doing.

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

The problem is that if they never advertise the technology used, they never have to walk it back. This is what government regulations are for. To avoid these bait-and-switch products from existing.

The average consumer only cares about the capacity, not the specs, and the specs don't really mean anything. 

Not exactly.

The perfomrnace - which they advertise - decreased significanlty.

Thus, this is not acceptable.

From Portugal with love.

I apologise in advance if I seem dense...

I kinda understand how SMR impacts performance due to the amount of rewriting in random IOs due to the layering (forgive me for using incorrect term).

I understand why they would be used for cold storage backup rather than running in some NAS or server.

Should I start worrying about the WD Black or Seagate Barracuda series as well?

29 minutes ago, amsga said:

I kinda understand how SMR impacts performance due to the amount of rewriting in random IOs due to the layering (forgive me for using incorrect term).

I understand why they would be used for cold storage backup rather than running in some NAS or server.

If a company decreases performance of a product, without saying anything, everyone should starts worrying.

Moreover, this could be extended to every product of those companies.

This is particularly worrying, as many people seems to be ok with this - as seen in this thread.

Which I personally think is not seeing the big picture.

Because tomorrow, this may occur with your HDD, Processor, Smartphone, or Camera.

Furthermore, we all should show our opinion on this to the OEMs, and to our local authorities.

I will surely do that.

From Portugal with love.

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Uh no?

Consumer drives have been 7200rpm 3.5" drives in non-OEM desktops, 5400rpm 2.5" drives in laptops. 5400rpm drives also are the vast majority of USB hard drives that aren't NAND flash. OEM-desktops traditionally only used 5400RPM in the same machines that would ship without a dedicated GPU. Though many $300-$600 SFF machines are typically 5400 RPM so they're quiet. Everything else is 7200RPM 

What you find is that since nearly everything uses NVMe now, mid/high-end gaming/engineering laptops and desktops also come with a mechanical 1-2TB drive that's intended for you to use as your data drive. 

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

First of all, thank you for this amazing write up, it was an incredibly interesting read

Secondly, and just to confirm:

So the Ironwolf series do use SMR (due to them having a 3 year warranty) and the Ironwolf Pro do not? or both NAS drives do not use SMR at all?

The reading gets a bit long, I know! In short, the answer is no, not necessarily because the characteristics of an SMR drive are not the characteristics of a NAS-type HDD. There are also cheap non-SMR hard drives in the cheapest line of all, the BarraCuda! And they have only a 2 year warranty too. Basically the SMR market is "the lowest cost per GB" market, and IronWolf does not meet that characteristic, also remember that SMR is not for performance focused tasks and that is also another feature that does not fit. IronWolf does offer an excellent performance on high performance tasks because it is a NAS type HDD that offers a level-like-Enterprise (the Pro is even closer) performance. So the NAS drives cannot be SMR because of the nature of SMR itself and the projected tasks of what the HDD will be doing inside a NAS device.

The Enterprise market is just another world different from the consumer markets in so many areas, back in the days when the 5TB was launched, the Archive v2 HDDs was the only SMR and it was not for consumers, that drive is no longer under production but now we have the Exos 5E8, its projected usage says "Perfect for Archival data" (cold storage) and the documentation specifies it is SMR, the cost per GB does matter for the Enterprise market because they purchase in bulk, and usually we regular human beings don't pay much attention to this and the logic to us the regular mortals, sometimes don't make any sense in the Enterprise market. They have dedicated equipment to store files that will be accesed once or twice a year (long term storage), and they don't require the best performance of all, but they cannot risk this data to be lost, here is where SMR plays a role and this techonlogy is paired with other techniques for this specific use case, different firmware programming etc... Another example is the HAMR technology, its performance is like an entry level SSD (about 480MB/s), it is not yet available to consumers but this technology is assisted by SMR, CMR, TDMR, MACH.2... Perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR), will eventually run out of steam at about 1 terabit-per-square inch. HAMR should take us up to about 5Tb/square inch. Then a new technology called “heated-dot magnetic recording,” or HDMR, should take us up to 10 Tb/square inch. HDMR essentially combines the techniques used in HAMR with bit-patterned media.

"the right drive for the job" means that the drive is prepared from factory for what it was meant to be used, nothing less and nothing more.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

36 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

The reading gets a bit long, I know. In short, the answer is no, not necessarily because the characteristics of an SMR drive are not the characteristics of a NAS-type HDD. There are also cheap non-SMR hard drives in the cheapest line of all, the BarraCuda and they have only a 2 year warranty too. Basically the SMR market is "the lowest cost per GB" market, and IronWolf does not meet that characteristic, also remember that SMR is not for performance focused tasks and that is also another feature that does not fit. IronWolf does offer an excellent performance because it is a NAS type HDD that offers a level-like-Enterprise (the Pro is even closer) performance. So the NAS drives cannot be SMR because of the nature of SMR and the projected tasks of what the HDD will be doing inside a NAS device.

The Enterprise market is just another world different from the consumer markets in so many areas, back in the days when the 5TB was launched, the Archive v2 HDDs was the only SMR and it was not for consumers, that drive is no longer under production but now we have the Exos 5E8, its projected usage says "Perfect for Archival data" (cold storage) and the documentation specifies it is SMR, the cost per GB does matter for the Enterprise market because they purchase in bulk, and usually we regular human beings don't pay much attention to this and the logic to us the regular mortals, sometimes don't make any sense in the Enterprise market. They have dedicated equipment to store files that will be accesed once or twice a year (long term storage), and they don't require the best performance of all, but they cannot risk this data to be lost, here is where SMR plays a role and this techonlogy is paired with other techniques for this specific use case. Another example is the HAMR technology, its performance is like an entry level SSD (about 480MB/s), it is not yet available to consumers but this technology is assisted by SMR, CMR, TDMR, MACH.2... Perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR), will eventually run out of steam at about 1 terabit-per-square inch. HAMR should take us up to about 5Tb/square inch. Then a new technology called “heated-dot magnetic recording,” or HDMR, should take us up to 10 Tb/square inch. HDMR essentially combines the techniques used in HAMR with bit-patterned media.

"the right drive for the job" means that the drive is prepared for what it was meant to be used, nothing less and nothing more.

Thank you for you great insight.

And I agree with you: consumer needs are significantly different from the enterprise.

And, NAS - for consumers - is not a cold storage, in my opinion.

NAS is accessed more frequently.

And WD Red (up to 6GB) are commonly used in NAS application.

And your text confirms my theory:

They want to separate further their non-Pro to their Pro families of products.

Cheers.

From Portugal with love.

5 hours ago, amsga said:

You will be wise enough to know as long as you can pick the right drive, Would you drive a minivan down the race track? Disk drives keep track of various drive usage such as power-on hours, lifetime writes and lifetime reads from the host computer.  With this data we can calculate an Annualized Workload Rate using this simple formula:

Annualized Workload Rate =

(Lifetime Writes + Lifetime Reads) * (8760 / Lifetime Power On Hours)

8760 are the number of hours in a year.  The Workload Rate becomes an annualized average expressed as TB/year.

Disk drives are specifically designed to perform to up to certain levels of Workload Rates. These are called Workload Rate Limit s (WRL).  Here are the common Workload Rate Limits for the common disk drive design segments:

Segment                                            Workload Rate Limit
Standard                                                               <55 TB/yr
NAS, Surveillance archive.                                 <180 TB/yr
Enterprise NAS (Nearline Lite)                            <300 TB/yr
Enterprise Capacity (Nearline)                            <550 TB/yr

What happens when you use a standard HDD in heavy workloads, remembering that these hard drives are meant to operate 5 days a week, 8 hours a day? You guessed it. Premature failure... You may use SeaTools Bootable for internal drives and SeaTools for Windows on the external drives to measure your drive’s Annualized Workload Rate by running the Drive Information test. In the table above, compare your Workload Rate to the corresponding Workload Rate Limit. If your value is below the WRL then the drive activity is supported by the design. If the value is above the WRL then the reliability of the drive will begin to decline:

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

-I doubt any high volume data recovery firm cares what the specific disks are or has any real opinion on the matter, they will see a lot of Seagate disks just by the nature of the brand being highly common.-

Yes, that is a perspective and you are right! If it were the case and the drives were that bad, no one would buy hard drives anymore.

10 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Of course not since the domestic lineups never included SMR drives before... Their use was limited to those archival drives, alledgedly becasue they were considered too poor to even go in domestic drives and their use required disclosure of that feature. The problem is that they decided to silently change this stance...

IIRC some 2.5inch external (internal too?) consumer drives did use SMR. No idea if they mention it in a seperate whitepaper/spec sheet to their website, but one I have I *was* able to find out. So some manufactures not mentioning it is bad. Why? It's physical and material performance related.

The car manufactures don't mention what material my brake pedal is made of... but if they turned it to plastic, which does not like high heels and breaks, people might get annoyed for not having a memo!