Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No prompt from pc

Hi! 

This morning I tried to boot my pc and was surprised to be greeted by a black screen. 

Just to be sure it was not OS related I unplugged both of my SATA disks, but there is still no prompt from the motherboard.

I have a backlit keyboard, and the lights were blinking and then turning off. Since I have recently upgraded my PSU I thought this may be a signal that it was malfunctioning. However, I have just tried with my old PSU and I get the same result.

I would like some ideas of what to do next, and more importantly how to find out which part is not working. Having absolutely no response from the pc I'm out of ideas. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Have you tried removing the battery from the motherboard for about 30 seconds?

Turn it off, take the power plug out. Pull out the battery for 30 secs, put it back in, connect power wire and start it up.

26 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Have you tried removing the battery from the motherboard for about 30 seconds?

Turn it off, take the power plug out. Pull out the battery for 30 secs, put it back in, connect power wire and start it up.

I just did, it didn't change anything though :(

No speakers connected? Or any motherboard error code?

7 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

No speakers connected? Or any motherboard error code?

No error codes, the fans and disks start up, and I am getting power from the usb connectors, but that's all. No output to the screen or those BIOS beeps. 

I just tested my GPU on another computer as well, and it seems to be working fine.

I guess it is the motherboard, but it was fine yesterday, and I didn't change anything, so it's weird that it would just stop working.

13 minutes ago, Jhinbe said:

No error codes, the fans and disks start up, and I am getting power from the usb connectors, but that's all. No output to the screen or those BIOS beeps. 

I just tested my GPU on another computer as well, and it seems to be working fine.

I guess it is the motherboard, but it was fine yesterday, and I didn't change anything, so it's weird that it would just stop working.

Seems to be either motherboard or CPU then.

What are your PC's specs?

7 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Seems to be either motherboard or CPU then.

What are your PC's specs?

Motherboard - gigabyte ga-z97p-d3

CPU - i5 4690

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL7

PSU - Corsair RM750

GPU - GTX 960

That's all the relevant stuff, I think. Quite old as you see so I don't think it's worth spending 100€+ on second hand replacements. I wanted to wait a bit longer before upgrading though, so it would be great if I could get it fixed.

12 minutes ago, Jhinbe said:

Motherboard - gigabyte ga-z97p-d3

CPU - i5 4690

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL7

PSU - Corsair RM750

GPU - GTX 960

That's all the relevant stuff, I think. Quite old as you see so I don't think it's worth spending 100€+ on second hand replacements. I wanted to wait a bit longer before upgrading though, so it would be great if I could get it fixed.

You'll need to get a hold of a 4th gen CPU to test and make sure it's not a motherboard/CPU problem.

19 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

You'll need to get a hold of a 4th gen CPU to test and make sure it's not a motherboard/CPU problem.

Yep, I guess that would be the best way to go on about this. I don't think I'll be able to do it though.

Something weird just happened. I turned it on and it started randomly restarting. It gave me a prompt in some of those restarts. It hasn't happened since though.

Thank you so much for the help anyway :)