Display Port: Cable or Port?

BaalPrime
Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,

Port (and hardware behind the port) only.

There are no displayport cable versions. all displayport cables support all standards.

Do the various display port designations refer to the cables themselves or the ports they are plugged into? Shopping for panels they're only ever listed as "Display Port," while HDMI is always specified HDMI 2.0 etc. I can't seem to get a straight answer about this.

Port (and hardware behind the port) only.

There are no displayport cable versions. all displayport cables support all standards.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Do you have any recommendations for DP 1.4 or even 1.2a panels? 

13 minutes ago, BaalPrime said:

Do the various display port designations refer to the cables themselves or the ports they are plugged into? Shopping for panels they're only ever listed as "Display Port," while HDMI is always specified HDMI 2.0 etc. I can't seem to get a straight answer about this.

All cables and ports specifically called "DisplayPort" will have the same shape and pin-out arrangement. For the MOST part, all DisplayPort cables will work up to the full spec of any version designation, *unless* they're labeled as a "reduced bit rate" cable.

Basically, feel comfortable in choosing any monitor that has a DP input. As long as you have a decent, non-bargainbasement cable, it will be plug-and-play, and you'll get the max out of your display.

Just now, BaalPrime said:

Do you have any recommendations for DP 1.4 or even 1.2a panels? 

Totally depends on what features you prioritize in a monitor. What is important to you?

Price?

Color accuracy?

Deep blacks?

Refresh rate?

1 minute ago, LyondellBasell said:

Totally depends on what features you prioritize in a monitor. What is important to you?

Price?

Color accuracy?

Deep blacks?

Refresh rate?

High refresh and 2k res and above are the main goals. Price isn't a huge sticking point because I can always just put aside a little money and save the old fashioned way, but I don't think I would ever spend more than around $1k on a panel.