Quiet ticking noise from inside computer

Daniel Wells

So I have a dell inspiron 3268 which I recently repurposed as a server. However when I shut it down today I could hear a very quiet ticking noise coming from what sounded like the front fan. This noise only stops when the power is turned off at the wall. If pc is off but power is still going in then the noise continues. Does anyone know what this means? 

10 minutes ago, Daniel Wells said:

So I have a dell inspiron 3268 which I recently repurposed as a server. However when I shut it down today I could hear a very quiet ticking noise coming from what sounded like the front fan. This noise only stops when the power is turned off at the wall. If pc is off but power is still going in then the noise continues. Does anyone know what this means? 

How long does the ticking go for? If it goes on for more than 2 minutes, it's probably at least a little bit of a concern.

If it sounds like a friction ticking (eg the same loudness with the same period) it's probably a fan that needs to be replaced. If it sounds like an electrical ticking (eg it comes from the PSU, and you can only hear it when the PC is off) that's the power supply itself that's making it the noise, which it's probably using for the 3.3v standby power.

It's not unusual to hear ticking or humming from a switching power supply, but usually if you can hear it audibly from 6' away, something has gone wrong.

Could be a capacitor going bad, imo.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

34 minutes ago, Kisai said:

How long does the ticking go for? If it goes on for more than 2 minutes, it's probably at least a little bit of a concern.

If it sounds like a friction ticking (eg the same loudness with the same period) it's probably a fan that needs to be replaced. If it sounds like an electrical ticking (eg it comes from the PSU, and you can only hear it when the PC is off) that's the power supply itself that's making it the noise, which it's probably using for the 3.3v standby power.

It's not unusual to hear ticking or humming from a switching power supply, but usually if you can hear it audibly from 6' away, something has gone wrong.

Thanks. I'll try replacing the fan as it is a constant noise. But it's definitely not the psu because that's at the other end of the case. :)