RTX 2080 thermal throttling or not

necrophagist

I have a Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080. It says that the base clock is 1515 Mhz and that the boost clock is 1710 Mhz. It also says that the GPU will start throttling at 83 degrees, which I sometimes hit. Now, what would be throttling? Dropping below the boost clock (1710) or the base clock (1515)? I don't know why, but my GPU often runs at like 1890 Mhz, but at 83 degrees it drops down to 1785 Mhz which is still higher than the advertised boost clock of 1710 Mhz. Anyone know what's going on?  I don't understand at what point one would start seeing a big performance impact.

GPU´s never have exact the speed thats on the data sheet.  I doubt you would notice a serious performance difference anyway.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

just the way the boost algorithm is set up. It doesn't throttle in the traditional sense, it operates by increasing the frequency and voltage according to its curve until it hits either the power limit or the temperature "limit", as the card warms up and cools down the clocks change dynamically, and you don't have an overheating issue if your boost clocks are still high

Hard to unlearn years of Intel hard thermal throttling experiences I know

31 minutes ago, Praesi said:

GPU´s never have exact the speed thats on the data sheet.  I doubt you would notice a serious performance difference anyway.

May I ask why you think it wouldn't be a serious performance downgrade? I always thought thermal throttling meant something like -10 or 15 fps or something.

40 minutes ago, necrophagist said:

I have a Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080. It says that the base clock is 1515 Mhz and that the boost clock is 1710 Mhz. It also says that the GPU will start throttling at 83 degrees, which I sometimes hit. Now, what would be throttling? Dropping below the boost clock (1710) or the base clock (1515)? I don't know why, but my GPU often runs at like 1890 Mhz, but at 83 degrees it drops down to 1785 Mhz which is still higher than the advertised boost clock of 1710 Mhz. Anyone know what's going on?  I don't understand at what point one would start seeing a big performance impact.

you should be able to track you GPU temp's and Voltages drops together with any number of tools, but MSI afterburner is pretty easy to use.

If you voltage drops at the same time your MHz drop, and then your temp decreases, i'll say YES, you're throttling.

With the same program you can adjust your fan profile to be more agressive

1 minute ago, necrophagist said:

May I ask why you think it wouldn't be a serious performance downgrade? I always thought thermal throttling meant something like -10 or 15 fps or something.

The GPU will only throttle what ever amount it needs to keep you running and not burning up ;)

For the most part it would only affect your FPS while you were 100% utilizing the GPU.