Is there a thing such as Too much power can kill my board?

Feyza
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
4 minutes ago, Feyza said:

I aprreciate your help but,

My motherboard is a DELL 0GXM1W - says CPU-Z

So when I search for cases, do i search for Full ATX, Micro ATX, you got the point....

micro ATX cases should fit, since DTX is not very tall and is no wider than micro ATX. I wish I had a spare case on hand to test with myself but when I measured the motherboard, the hole spacing was just right. So, any good ATX or micro ATX would serve you.

One case that I saw with a USB 3.0 port and some decent looks/airflow is the Deepcool MATREXX 30, give it a look.

Greetings,

I've bought a PC that says "I am as budget as you can be"

It's a DELL Optiplex 7010 SFF , and when I saw it on the pictures, I did not think it would be this small

Now I want to change it's case for a much bigger one, but the power supply is a problem

It's not just the fact that it is only 240W, even if I was able to fit it in a bigger case, the cables are short, I've got more disks than I can fit (it can only fit 1 hard drive).

Also I can not put the case cover on it because my GPU and SSD are sticking out.

So I do have an older case with 300W power supply and much more space for it, now i ask WILL THE 300W FRY MY MOTHERBOARD and CAN I PUT ANYTHING ELSE INSTEAD OF THE HEATSINK THAT IS CURRENTLY ON IT (see picture)?

CPU: i5 3Core 570 3.4-3.8GHz

GPU: GTX 750 Ti

HDD/SSD: 7200RPM seagate 500gb / Gigabyte 120GB 3gbit/s (plus 2 more drives i can not fit

RAM: 3x4gb vengeance 1600 DDR3 1.5V

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20200416_135042.jpg

8 minutes ago, Feyza said:

WILL THE 300W FRY MY MOTHERBOARD

depends on which 300w powersupply it is. 

8 minutes ago, Feyza said:

Now I want to change it's case for a much bigger one, but the power supply is a problem

It's not just the fact that it is only 240W, even if I was able to fit it in a bigger case, the cables are short,

stick with the 240w PSU in the optiplext untill you can get a propper PSU. even if the cables are short and you need to have a jank setup to make it work. 

240w is enough for your current hardware config anyways. 

7 minutes ago, Feyza said:

Greetings,

I've bought a PC that says "I am as budget as you can be"

It's a DELL Optiplex 7010 SFF , and when I saw it on the pictures, I did not think it would be this small

It's not just the fact that it is only 240W, even if I was able to fit it in a bigger case, the cables are short, I've got more disks than I can fit (it can only fit 1 hard drive).

Also I can not put the case cover on it because my GPU and SSD are sticking out.

So I do have an older case with 300W power supply and much more space for it, now i ask WILL THE 300W FRY MY MOTHERBOARD and CAN I PUT ANYTHING ELSE INSTEAD OF THE HEATSINK THAT IS CURRENTLY ON IT (see picture)?

CPU: i5 3Core 570 3.4-3.8GHz

GPU: GTX 750 Ti

HDD/SSD: 7200RPM seagate 500gb / Gigabyte 120GB 3gbit/s (plus 2 more drives i can not fit

RAM: 3x4gb vengeance 1600 DDR3 1.5V

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20200416_135042.jpg

Don't know for sure if 300W is too much or sufficient for the setup... But there's probably not too much power that can fry you mobo.... You should probably get into a better heatsink solution than the current one... But it's still 3 cores.. So you won't be gaming too much that heat dissipation would be a problem... So i guess that heat sink is fine...

Cheap Chinese Garbage PSU´s can kill hardware yes. Avoid them and you should be good.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just now, vidyasager162 said:

You should probably get into a better heatsink solution than the current one...

its a decent OEM solution. he really doesnt have to look for a new one. 

1 minute ago, vidyasager162 said:

But it's still 3 cores

its a core i5 quadcore.........

2 minutes ago, vidyasager162 said:

Don't know for sure if 300W is too much or sufficient for the setup... But there's probably not too much power that can fry you mobo....

there is no such thing as too much wattage (well not that is relevant anyways). and his current PSU is sufficient for the current hardware setup. and depending on the quality of the 300w unit. he might want to avoid that one, especially considering the current unit he is using is far from the worst. 

13 minutes ago, Feyza said:

CAN I PUT ANYTHING ELSE INSTEAD OF THE HEATSINK THAT IS CURRENTLY ON IT (see picture)?

depends on the mounting mechanism, but you can probably stick with the one currently attached without much worry. 

In regard to the power supply, the wattage its maximum capacity, not what it will output at all times. For example, I have an 850W power supply, but may only use 400W while gaming. Your 300W power supply will not fry this computer (given decent quality, not mustard cables and and a silver box).

The socket for this motherboard should have the same spacing as a regular lga115x, but if you wanted to replace the cooler the entire motherboard would have to taken out and the backplate that allows the stock cooler to be screwed in removed. In essence, it's able to be done.

There lies a larger issue, however, and that is with the motherboard design itself. Because this is a proprietary design, Dell has taken some liberties with the mounting and front panel connectors. The board will not have any I/O plate and will not be able to interface* with any case you install it, as the connector is one monolith instead of the separate, standard ones. 

This could be fixed with serious determination and decent soldering skills, but you're basically stuck with that case.

* Snippet of technical guidebook FP connector:

FP.PNG.23d8392632abfd8bee328e72bf595629.PNG

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

depends on which 300w powersupply it is. 

stick with the 240w PSU in the optiplext untill you can get a propper PSU. even if the cables are short and you need to have a jank setup to make it work. 

240w is enough for your current hardware config anyways. 

I've been using the 300W PSU before, no problems or shutdowns, been using it for 4 years no problems

1 hour ago, vidyasager162 said:

Don't know for sure if 300W is too much or sufficient for the setup... But there's probably not too much power that can fry you mobo.... You should probably get into a better heatsink solution than the current one... But it's still 3 cores.. So you won't be gaming too much that heat dissipation would be a problem... So i guess that heat sink is fine...

This current heatsing does well, intense PUBG, COD:Warzone gaming and it doesn't go above 58*C

its a decent OEM solution. he really doesnt have to look for a new one. 

its a core i5 quadcore.........

there is no such thing as too much wattage (well not that is relevant anyways). and his current PSU is sufficient for the current hardware setup. and depending on the quality of the 300w unit. he might want to avoid that one, especially considering the current unit he is using is far from the worst. 

depends on the mounting mechanism, but you can probably stick with the one currently attached without much worry. 

Also sorry for replying in 3 differrent posts, but I keep forgetting everything

This is the other case that I stopped using a few days ago when i bought this.

You can see the PSU and some of the connectors as well as the old motherboard which i want to take out

The case fan will be removed because this heatsink with its fan needs to connect to that part of the case.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/vnVkP89 <<<<<<<<< PICTURES

23 minutes ago, Feyza said:

This current heatsing does well, intense PUBG, COD:Warzone gaming and it doesn't go above 58*C

Well then it's good to stick with it.

15 minutes ago, Feyza said:

Also sorry for replying in 3 differrent posts, but I keep forgetting everything

This is the other case that I stopped using a few days ago when i bought this.

You can see the PSU and some of the connectors as well as the old motherboard which i want to take out

The case fan will be removed because this heatsink with its fan needs to connect to that part of the case.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/vnVkP89 <<<<<<<<< PICTURES

Nonstandard front panel connectors are going to ruin your day, you won't have any I/O or even the ability to turn it on if you just throw the optiplex motherboard in that case with no modifications.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

59 minutes ago, Feyza said:

I've been using the 300W PSU before, no problems or shutdowns, been using it for 4 years no problems

Yeah but what 300w powersupply is it? Because the 240w delta in the optiplex is good enough. And if you dont know what the other one is, then id avoid using it. 

As its not the wattage that is the issue, its the quality of the unit. 

Yeah but what 300w powersupply is it? Because the 240w delta in the optiplex is good enough. And if you dont know what the other one is, then id avoid using it. 

As its not the wattage that is the issue, its the quality of the unit. 

The label says it comes from Delta Electronics Inc.

Also it came with that PC, the pc model was the Acer Gateway DT55 desktop

2 hours ago, Opencircuit74 said:

Nonstandard front panel connectors are going to ruin your day, you won't have any I/O or even the ability to turn it on if you just throw the optiplex motherboard in that case with no modifications.

How can I solve that problem, do I go ahead and buy another case or can i modify the connectors for the I/O buttons (I finished High School of Elecrtrical Engeeniring, so soldering is my second language xD)

2 hours ago, vidyasager162 said:

Well then it's good to stick with it.

Thanks chief

25 minutes ago, Feyza said:

How can I solve that problem, do I go ahead and buy another case or can i modify the connectors for the I/O buttons (I finished High School of Elecrtrical Engeeniring, so soldering is my second language xD)

Yeah, it's a lot of soldering.

I looked into it for a while, and the work involved is ridiculous. You'd have to get a USB 3.0 to 2.0 header (or just solder the wires directly, but again, more work), cut the dell front panel wire near the buttons, cut the dell power switch near the buttons, cut the acer audio cable near the connector, cut one of the acer USB cables near the connector, and cut the acer power switch near the connector. You'd then have to attach one of the acer USB headers (with the connector still attached) to the USB adapter, and plug that into the dell motherboard. Then, you'd have to identify the USB part of the dell front panel wire and solder the wires to the acer USB that you cut, do the same with the audio, and the same again with the power switch. 

If you're really creative, you might also get the HDD LED to work, but that's generally unnecessary.

That's a lot of work, and a lot of room to go wrong. I would just pick up a secondhand motherboard that supports that CPU and use the standard connectors on that. Usually the boards made by intel or an OEM (such as HP, but make sure there are standard USB and audio connectors) are cheapest.

1 hour ago, Feyza said:

The label says it comes from Delta Electronics Inc.

Also it came with that PC, the pc model was the Acer Gateway DT55 desktop

Well that at least indicates that its decent. And good enough to use. 

I was just working with one of those. That motherboard uses standard ATX connectors (thank you Dell) and the form factor is DTX so it fits inside an ATX case. Save up for a proper case and PSU and you can upgrade that CPU to an i7-3770 as well which would be an excellent upgrade.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thank you all once again for the help!

I'm going to ask for one more thing

A decent looking case for a low-mid budget

Thank you so much for all the help till now and everything that is to come

Just now, Feyza said:

I'm going to ask for one more thing

A decent looking case for a low-mid budget

Cougar MX330, often under $50 USD and with some decent style and airflow.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Cougar MX330, often under $50 USD and with some decent style and airflow.

Does this case I found earlier today have the compatible ports? (Because I'm still not understanding the ATX etc.)

It's a MS HUNTER midi tower

Also if not, what specs am I searching for when searching for a case

2020-04-17.png

6 minutes ago, Feyza said:

Does this case I found earlier today have the compatible ports? (Because I'm still not understanding the ATX etc.)

It's a MS HUNTER midi tower

Also if not, what specs am I searching for when searching for a case

just having a quick look at the ports, the power button assembly seems to be proprietary so you'd need to do a little experimenting there. The front audio also unfortunately is also proprietary, but the front USB ports use a single standard USB 3.0 connector, so a case without USB 2.0 ports would probably be good. Aside from that, all cases will offer the standard HDD LED and such for the front panel, which look like they're all bunched on the same header as the front audio on this motherboard, so looking for the manual online might show you the pins you need to make that happen.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

just having a quick look at the ports, the power button assembly seems to be proprietary so you'd need to do a little experimenting there. The front audio also unfortunately is also proprietary, but the front USB ports use a single standard USB 3.0 connector, so a case without USB 2.0 ports would probably be good. Aside from that, all cases will offer the standard HDD LED and such for the front panel, which look like they're all bunched on the same header as the front audio on this motherboard, so looking for the manual online might show you the pins you need to make that happen.

So when I search for cases, do i search for Full ATX, Micro ATX, you got the point....

4 minutes ago, Feyza said:

micro ATX cases should fit, since DTX is not very tall and is no wider than micro ATX. I wish I had a spare case on hand to test with myself but when I measured the motherboard, the hole spacing was just right. So, any good ATX or micro ATX would serve you.

One case that I saw with a USB 3.0 port and some decent looks/airflow is the Deepcool MATREXX 30, give it a look.

Primary PC: