Saving up to upgrade Mobo & CPU.. ideas?

Go to solution Solved by jctappel67,

Right now:

Ryzen 5 3600 $175

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC $158 or 

Gigiabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi $128

Cost: $303-$335

Hey guys. Thanks for taking your time to (possibly) help me out.

I built my PC in 2015. It has a Z97 motherboard and an i7 4790k. The motherboard I have now isn't the best (it lacks features like on-board WiFi, BlueTooth, M.2, it has some bent USB pins, etc) so I'm looking to replace it. I feel like it would be a waste of money to buy a better Z97 board, and they don't really make them anymore, so what the hay, might as well buy a new CPU and get a *new* motherboard.

I do gaming and personal creative work (Photoshop, light Premiere Pro, Cinema4D, Unreal Engine 4, etc). I currently have a GTX 980, and plan to upgrade that in the future, but I'm fine on that right now considering I only run 1080p at the moment.. I've already upgraded to a high capacity SSD and a SSHD.

Any recommendations for a new CPU? I can't go crazy on the price, no i9s here haha. My 4790k doesn't exactly feel slow, but I feel like it could be faster? I feel like it's a little difficult for me to judge CPU speed. Does it even feel faster from say a 4790k to a 9700k for example? :P Completely open to AMD or Intel.

P.S. Case is a NZXT H510.

Right now:

Ryzen 5 3600 $175

Cost: $303-$335

F@H    EOC

The R5 3600 will blow your mind compared to your 4790 CPU and it's decently budget friendly.  That + NVME SSD (5x faster throughput than a standard SSD).

Though, you could also go last gen Ryzen 2700, which has 2 more cores which would prove useful to your video editing use case at the cost about 15% single core IPC (gaming).

Personally, I'd stay away from any Intel CPU that doesn't have it's security flaws fixed since their performance is diminishing seemingly every month. That would mean you'd need a 10 series.

With Ryzen 4k around the corner, I would not be buying any CPU right now.  I would wait for 4k and then the price drop and reassess Ryzen 3k price points or buy the 4k if it's worthy.

19 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Right now, unless you're set on Intel:

Ryzen 5 3600 $175

Cost: 

15 minutes ago, _Kaurus said:

The R5 3600 will blow your mind compared to your 4790 CPU and it's decently budget friendly.  That + NVME SSD (5x faster throughput than a standard SSD).

Though, you could also go last gen Ryzen 2700, which has 2 more cores which would prove useful to your video editing use case at the cost about 15% single core IPC (gaming).

Personally, I'd stay away from any Intel CPU that doesn't have it's security flaws fixed since their performance is diminishing seemingly every month. That would mean you'd need a 10 series.

With Ryzen 4k around the corner, I would not be buying any CPU right now.  I would wait for 4k and then the price drop and reassess Ryzen 3k price points or buy the 4k if it's worthy.

Thanks. I think I'm set on AMD, it just does wonders for my budget. Back when I was building my computer like 5-6 years ago AMD was pretty bad (Core FX processors) so it's surprising to see they're a good deal now. I have no issue with waiting til the new Ryzen processors come out.