Need Help With My Overheating Laptop!!!

Big Flubba

I have a few concerns about my laptop overheating. So my laptop which is a hp ProBook 650 G1 (i7 4600m version) and I have had this laptop for about a year and I got it barely used from a friend of mine. My temps are around 75 - 95℃  and the tiny fan blows out some heat during use but any time I take the access panel off the temps go up to a solid 100℃ and the air blowing out of the fan gets room temp. So I investigate further and the heatpipe is room temp and the CPU block is burning hot. I have a suspicion that the heatpipe was damaged. Please let me know what to do. Thanks.

Since this laptop is so old I would go ahead and try changing the thermal paste first. If that doesnt work and you still suspect the heat pipe has been damaged the heatsink goes for around 5 bucks on ebay and 10 bucks with fan. 

Do you have any suggestions for low price but good thermal paste brands/types.

Laptops run hot, specially if you're tasking them.   If you're gaming and it goes to 95 degrees it's not unheard of.

Due to the huge heat in laptops, it's not uncommon for paste to get "brunt" and need replacing.  This is where i would start.

You can use ANY thermal paste that's for PCs. I wouldn't put much thought into it.. what ever has a good rating on amazon is fine.

I use Noctua NT-H1 on laptops. It's rated for 5 years of use, is among the best performing and at around 10 $ affordable. But honestly any paste that you can buy is better than old dried out one.

Ok. I'll see if that'll help bring the heat down some if not i'll see if I can get a replacement heatsink.

16 minutes ago, nerfblaster1234 said:

So I investigate further and the heatpipe is room temp and the CPU block is burning hot.

cpu block being boiling hot, and the heatpipe being room temp is nearly impossible, even for a broken heatpipe...

mind taking a picture and pointing out where hot and cold stuff is?

also -- i seriously doubt this is a thermal paste issue...

The hot parts are the CPU block and the cold parts are the heatpipe and the heatsink.

IMG_20200415_190804.jpg

Correction its not exactly room temp but it is colder than the CPU block. When i'm barely doing anything the heatpipe is hot and the fan is blowing out some heat even with the cover off but when I put an heavy task on it the heatpipe gets colder and the temp goes up to 100℃ in about 10 - 15 secs. I think the heatpipe is dry wicking.

2 minutes ago, nerfblaster1234 said:

Correction its not exactly room temp but it is colder than the CPU block. When i'm barely doing anything the heatpipe is hot and the fan is blowing out some heat even with the cover off but when I put an heavy task on it the heatpipe gets colder and the temp goes up to 100℃ in about 10 - 15 secs. I think the heatpipe is dry wicking.

Really, all you can do is change the paste and then change the pipe out.  Maybe 1 of the 2 will work.

It's also possible the CPU is damage and can no longer run at factory spec.

I kind of assume everyone keeps thermal paste around and I shouldnt. Did you use compressed air or duster to blow out any dust yet? 

I'm planning on cleaning it in the future but its not dirty at all.

I don't see them mentioned often but cooling pads/fans do work. While anything that can lift the laptop to provide extra cooling helps, the ad hoc solutions can be difficult to transport. I'd say if you want to game with your laptop they can really help. I think the one I have claims it can reduce the temps by 20 degrees with all fans on full in a temperature controlled room. I haven't used it as much recently since mine usually spikes at start up then drops to more reasonable temperatures.