Which Straight Forward Router to use?

_Kaurus

Hi folks, 

My setup right now is the Hitron (Shaw modem)  which gives internet to my desktop (wired), then a cat6 runs up stairs to an ac1900 wifi router to provide wifi connectivity upstairs. I'm going to get 600mbps internet ($30 cheaper than Shaw's 300 services), which means I'm done with this Shaw hitron modem/wifi/router combo device and am getting an Motorola MB8600-10, which is modem only.

I will need a straight forward 2 port minimum router to provide routing from the modem to my desktop then up the stairs to the to provide wifi to the upstairs part of the house.

1) So I'm wondering what basic (cheapest and worthy) router can I get to do this initial full speed split that I will connect to my PC and send upstairs to the Wifi router?

If you think I'm asking too much with my "basic" term I may just put the modem up stairs and lose all manual access to it (someone elses unit) which would suck.

2) If i need to split the Coax cable, which splinter do I need?

Thanks guys!

1. if you are looking for a basic router, anything that isnt cheaper than US$70 will work well

2. are you getting your internet through coax instead of that phone line? (nothing wrong with that, just asking)

27 minutes ago, Saksham said:

1. if you are looking for a basic router, anything that isnt cheaper than US$70 will work well

2. are you getting your internet through coax instead of that phone line? (nothing wrong with that, just asking)

1) That doesn't really help me.  I'm looking for a model of basic router for that is multi port 1GB/s essentially, without being one of those grotesques ones that included wifi.

2) yes, Cable internet comes through coax cables.  People around here don't really use phone lines for...anything anymore...ohhh fax machines!

1 hour ago, _Kaurus said:

without being one of those grotesques ones that included wifi.

don't all routers have wifi? what are you trying to say?

btw...

20 hours ago, Saksham said:

don't all routers have wifi? what are you trying to say?

btw...

A router just routes IPs to split up a connection.  A Wireless / LAN combo router is optional, though from what I'm seeing there are a lot of combo routers out there for 1gbps, and not many basica LAN only routers, Which is why I'm asking here about just a basic router.

I know the difference between cable and DSL, I was alive when cable didn't exist. lol

3 minutes ago, _Kaurus said:

you hero! that's not a bad price too boot.  thanks a heap!

And its by ubiquity so you can bet its good reliability. 

Edit: and its managed!!

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

And its by ubiquity so you can bet its good reliability. 

Edit: and its managed!!

ya and to top it off, i have a stables credit i can use!

what a guy,   What A Guy! thanks!