BOINC Pentathlon 2020

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

From what I've been told Docker is, in a sense, a hypervisor of sorts. Since LHC@Home needs projects to run on Oracle VM VirtualBox you would need to enable nesting which I don't know if is a feature on Docker.

There is a BOINC docker container that is VirtualBox enabled.

docker pull boinc/client:virtualbox

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Also for the past year I just kind of never left WCG so I'm currently at 17,246,562. Depending on how things go I could very well take 1st place by next year.

Where you reading those points from BOINC client or WCG website? Annoying how those are different.

Edit:

NVM

image.png.b5a7998737db5b2652a2a9f70b68a127.png

Also how dare you! Just started running WCG an hour ago and the other server is doing NFS, maybe I should put both on WCG 🙂

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There is a BOINC docker container that is VirtualBox enabled.

I have no answer for you there. I only use docker for this one very niche application and it was explained to me that it's kind of a hypervisor in and of itself.

I still prefer my own VM bunkering solution. I already know how I'm going to divvy up the cores. LHC@Home will complicate things a bit since none of my VMs have desktops and I have no idea how to set it up for BOINC. Do I just install VB from the repo and BOINC will take it from there? Any other hoops?

I should probably test this before the event begins.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Do I just install VB from the repo and BOINC will take it from there? Any other hoops?

If you do a quick google there was a really good guide for it, need it find it again myself. Still tossing up VMs vs container. The up side to containers is you lose a lot less performance from overhead if running multiple VMs with active CPU, here we won't actually doing that but still that is a plus for containers. Downside for me is my container host is/will be a VM itself so....

Just easier for me to hide 2 or so container host VMs than 20+ bunker VMs lol.

22 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Where you reading those points from BOINC client or WCG website? Annoying how those are different.

Been watching both but I do hate how they're different. No idea how they're calculating the score on BOINCstats.

And yeah, I've got almost all the diamond badges. Even a pair of 20 year diamonds :3. I just left it to run the past year.

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If you do a quick google there was a really good guide for it, need it find it again myself. Still tossing up VMs vs container. The up side to containers is you lose a lot less performance from overhead if running multiple VMs with active CPU, here we won't actually doing that but still that is a plus for containers. Downside for me is my container host is/will be a VM itself so....

Just easier for me to hide 2 or so container host VMs than 20+ bunker VMs lol.

I will look into this when I find the time.

I was thinking 4 VM's per server then have each of those VMs run multiple virtual disks. Once one is full have it boot the next virtual disk. The reason here is at least with WCG there is a limit of how many machines you can host before you run into issues like requesting jobs too frequently. This will keep that to a minimum.

That or I'll just clone the original VM and only run 4 at a time. Whichever's easier.

@Windows7ge You mind running the CPU benchmark in boinc?

image.png.da4928d6a77f23fcb8b4094ef8adb699.png

Preferably one that is linux and baremetal not a VM, or windows baremetal failing that.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge You mind running the CPU benchmark in boinc?

image.png.da4928d6a77f23fcb8b4094ef8adb699.png

Preferably one that is linux and baremetal not a VM, or windows baremetal failing that.

I need to go to work so I can't get you the results until the late evening but for the moment (baremetal) which would you prefer 3930K, 5960X @ 4.5GHz, or 1950X? The dual 2670v1 server is a hypervisor and the dual 2698v3 server is Windows Server (plan to swap it for Ubuntu Server sometime soon-ish).

Take your pick or if you want multiple that's fine. Will get you the results later today.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I need to go to work so I can't get you the results until the late evening but for the moment (baremetal) which would you prefer 3930K, 5960X @ 4.5GHz, or 1950X?

Any is fine, just checking for VM overhead for mine.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, Ithanul said:

Yes, the first project, the Marathon is announced on the 30th.  This one goes the full length of the event.  As the event goes on, other projects are announced and run for a set length of days during the event.  This where pre-planning and managing what is running comes into play.

For a newbie using BAM and currently just running Rosetta 24/7 on my two rigs, should I just run the Marathon? Or should I consider trying to keep up with the other Disciplines? Is one better for the team than the other?

Join TEAM LTT in the fight against COVID-19 with F@H & BOINC ~ My EOC Folding Stats ~ My F@H Stats ~ My BOINC Stats

Daily Driver: i7-8086/32GB RAM/500GB SSD/4TB HDD/RTX2070/PG279Q

Unraid Server: 2700X/32GB RAM/750GB RAW SSD/22TB RAW HDD/GTX 1050

On 4/16/2020 at 5:38 AM, cbigfoot said:

@Ithanul so Rosetta@home is out of the running? no exception for them since they are folding covid-19?

Also why not gpugrid? i also thought SETI shutdown?

The list is from last year.  By the looks, there is no voting on projects this year.  So, no clue what projects will be selected for this year of the event.

On 4/16/2020 at 6:06 AM, leadeater said:

LHC and NFS were pretty good for me last year. @Ithanul Was it LHC where you needed to setup virtualbox to get the higher point jobs?

Yep, to get the big ATLAS WUs.  Note, those will each eat up eight cores per WU and love RAM.  If I even run like 85% of my 1950X on those, they gladly near max out the usage of my 32GB RAM kit.

2 hours ago, j1philli said:

For a newbie using BAM and currently just running Rosetta 24/7 on my two rigs, should I just run the Marathon? Or should I consider trying to keep up with the other Disciplines? Is one better for the team than the other?

Do what ever you feel ok with.  The Marathon one goes the full length and is a CPU base project usually.  There at least one or two GPU projects that tend to get selected for some of the other Disciplines.  So, during those, you can spin up the GPU to help out in those.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Guys, gonna ask here, need a cheap CPU cooler for my 5960x to get her purring on this, 

Recommendations? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

48 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Guys, gonna ask here, need a cheap CPU cooler for my 5960x to get her purring on this, 

Recommendations? 

Hyper 212 EVO and either the stock fan or a pair of NF-F12's. Surprising performance for $20~$60.

Overclocking my 5960X though I couldn't get away without an H100i.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Hyper 212 EVO and either the stock fan or a pair of NF-F12's. Surprising performance for $20~$60.

Overclocking my 5960X though I couldn't get away without an H100i.

I have a 212 evo on it, just not cutting it. Like it is borderline. Looking to spend 40GBP. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I have a 212 evo on it, just not cutting it. Like it is borderline. Looking to spend 40GBP. 

Hmmm, not sure how much say the older Dark Rock Pro 3 runs for over there or the Noctua NH-D9DX i4.

If planning to OC that 5960X though, yeah, it has to be water cooled.  The heat output can really get up there at full load.  As I had a previous 5960X that could OC to 4.8GHz, but ran it at 4.5GHz and the heat was still up there at those clocks.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Any is fine, just checking for VM overhead for mine.

Alright, Ubuntu Server on 5960X @ 4.5GHz:

6674 floating point MIPS (hetstone) per CPU
86370 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU

Don't understand how this actually measure, what they do, or what it means but there ya go.

I will say with QEMU/KVM if you optimize the VM the performance loss even in this high of compute application is near indistinguishable from native.

I plan to do this for my desktop, the PROXMOX server I just plan on using containers since they run off the Host Kernel anyways. Can't do anything for the Windows Hyper-V server. No idea how. The 5960X & 3930K rigs I don't think I'll bunker on more than they can hold with one instance.

@Ithanul

You think it would be a good bet to presume something COVID related? Probably the marathon? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

21 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

@Ithanul

You think it would be a good bet to presume something COVID related? Probably the marathon? 

WCG has been working on a COVID project, maybe that will be ready in time. If it is then my bet would be on that.

12 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Hmmm, not sure how much say the older Dark Rock Pro 3 runs for over there or the Noctua NH-D9DX i4.

If planning to OC that 5960X though, yeah, it has to be water cooled.  The heat output can really get up there at full load.  As I had a previous 5960X that could OC to 4.8GHz, but ran it at 4.5GHz and the heat was still up there at those clocks.

Grabbed two new Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240s for a great price! Not the best in the world but fore the price I can't really beat them.

AIO on both rigs in time for the event, tasty! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Today I'm going to put aside whatever time I can to getting the Containers, VMs, and Virtual Disks ready to go.

So we know LHC@Home is on the project list this year along with an unknown WCG project (I hope it's OpenPandemics). Do we know of any others at this time? I haven't checked the BOINC Pentathlon site yet.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

So we know LHC@Home is on the project list this year along with an unknown WCG project (I hope it's OpenPandemics). Do we know of any others at this time? I haven't checked the BOINC Pentathlon site yet.

None are actually announced far as I know but the possible list is fairly known. Bunker protection etc etc, can't tell us too soon.

Also for the GPU projects don't forget about the cloud instance usage possibilities. Maybe @Macaw2000 can get in on the action, and supply some tips 🙂

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Also for the GPU projects don't forget about the cloud instance usage possibilities. Maybe @Macaw2000 can get in on the action, and supply some tips 🙂

I investigated AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud but their setup and verification progress makes it pretty hard to use proxy or online resources to create accounts without providing legitimate private information. All 3 services I got stuck on trying to use VoIP phone numbers. None of the services would accept them and I sure as heck can't use my own an infinite number of times.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I investigated AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud but their setup and verification progress makes it pretty hard to use proxy or online resources to create accounts without providing legitimate private information. All 3 services I got stuck on trying to use VoIP phone numbers. None of the services would accept them and I sure as heck can't use my own an infinite number of times.

Pretty sure if I use my work email and phone number I'll be fine, problem is companies get all excited but email and phone blocking rules fix that 🙂.